Where is Remote ID for DJI drones?
4936 15 2022-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bishop426
lvl.1

Iceland

So after 16. september 2022 all drones sold in US should have Remote ID installed. I looked on the DJI website but there are no information about this.

Does this mean all current DJI drones are illegal and can't be sold anymore in the US?

2022-9-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

bishop there are quite a few other threads in the forum discussing this topic, please check them for different opinions about the upcoming remote id deadlines.  it will be easier to understand if you make one correction to your question:  "all drones sold in the u.s...." by retailers is not what the new rules says.  it says "all drone model produced by manufacturers..."  there's a difference.

sep 16 2022, there are new rules for drone manufacturers to stop producing drones which are not remote-id capable.

there is no new direction given to retailers or pilots.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=272810
2022-9-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2022-9-1
Use props
Bishop426
lvl.1

Iceland

The Saint Posted at 9-1 08:23
bishop there are quite a few other threads in the forum discussing this topic, please check them for different opinions about the upcoming remote id deadlines.  it will be easier to understand if you make one correction to your question:  "all drones sold in the u.s...." by retailers is not what the new rules says.  it says "all drone model produced by manufacturers..."  there's a difference.

sep 16 2022, there are new rules for drone manufacturers to stop producing drones which are not remote-id capable.

Yes I understand that this applies to the manufacturer only, but the manufactured products are eventually sold somewhere. So it's obvious that if you buy a new DJI drone today in the U.S, you must check for the manufacture date and if it's after 16. sep the drone is illegal and unusable. I think the laws are pretty clear on this.
2022-9-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Is inbuilt in the drone, you can currently put your data on the Fly App.
2022-9-2
Use props
Bishop426
lvl.1

Iceland

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 9-2 02:26
Is inbuilt in the drone, you can currently put your data on the Fly App.

It's not enough that this information is sent back to the controller and is available to the user. This information has to be broadcast publically and not to be encrypted in any way. It also has to be available to be received by common device and be non-proprietary. As specified by the FAA:

"The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the public has the capability, using existing commonly available and 47 CFR part 15 compliant devices, such as cellular phones, smart devices, tablet computers, or laptop computers, to receive these broadcast messages."

"In addition, the FAA proposed to require that standard remote identification UAS be capable of broadcasting the message elements using a non-proprietary broadcast specification and radio frequency spectrum compatible with personal
wireless devices in accordance with 47 CFR part 15."

So for example the DJI AeroScope system does not fullfill these Remote ID requirements.

I am interrested in seeing some documentation from DJI that explains in extreme detail how they are fullfilling the Remote ID requirements.
2022-9-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bishop426 Posted at 9-2 01:07
Yes I understand that this applies to the manufacturer only, but the manufactured products are eventually sold somewhere. So it's obvious that if you buy a new DJI drone today in the U.S, you must check for the manufacture date and if it's after 16. sep the drone is illegal and unusable. I think the laws are pretty clear on this.

in post #6, you provided a quote that backs up what you say.

please provide a quote that backs up "if you buy a new dji drone today in the u.s., you must check for the manufacturer date and if it's after 16 sep the drone is illegal and unusable."  otherwise, you just made that up.  it's not true.
2022-9-2
Use props
Bishop426
lvl.1

Iceland

The Saint Posted at 9-2 05:44
in post #6, you provided a quote that backs up what you say.

please provide a quote that backs up "if you buy a new dji drone today in the u.s., you must check for the manufacturer date and if it's after 16 sep the drone is illegal and unusable."  otherwise, you just made that up.  it's not true.

Look I am not the one who is making up these stupid Remote ID regulations. I am just repeating what are the actual facts. September 16, 2022 is the final date of compliance for manufacturers:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

Effective Dates

Almost all of the final rule on remote ID becomes effective April 21, 2021. The subpart covering the process for FRIA applications from community-based organizations and educational institutions becomes effective September 16, 2022.
Here are other dates of note:
    September 16, 2022:
        Drone manufacturers must comply with the final rule's requirements for them.
    September 16, 2023:
        All drone pilots must meet the operating requirements of part 89. For most operators this will mean flying a Standard Remote ID Drone, equipping with a broadcast module, or flying at a FRIA.

This effectively means if you buy a drone manufactured after September 16, 2022 and it doesn't have Remote ID, you are using an illegal drone according to the FAA. It's possible that you can still use it until September 16, 2023, at which point it becomes paperweight unless retrofitted with RID, but that is shaky at best and you are risking to be fined by FAA for using an illegally manufactured drone.

2022-9-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bishop426 Posted at 9-2 07:16
Look I am not the one who is making up these stupid Remote ID regulations. I am just repeating what are the actual facts. September 16, 2022 is the final date of compliance for manufacturers:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id

ill give you a pass on this one since you said "effectively means.."

this is direction from faa to manuafacturers.
this is not direction from faa to buyers/pilots.
this is not direction from faa to sellers/retailers.

this is america so let me inform you of how things work over here.  the idea of the direction is to begin to clear out the "navigable" airspace (over the years) from drones without remote id, not by preventing sales, but  by making sure everything that is sold is in compliance.

im glad you posted the information and you now agree with me:  "when i buy a drone today in the u.s., i do NOT have to check for the manufacturer date."  the manufacture date means nothing to the drone pilot.

i do agree that unless the deadline changes, it is possible you many not be able to freely and legally fly your non-remote id drone after sep 16, 2023.  we are working on that.
2022-9-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have to say Bishop426 "Why do you care" You live in Iceland and are not subject to US Drone laws and remote ID?
2022-9-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Bishop426 Posted at 9-2 03:19
It's not enough that this information is sent back to the controller and is available to the user. This information has to be broadcast publically and not to be encrypted in any way. It also has to be available to be received by common device and be non-proprietary. As specified by the FAA:

"The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the public has the capability, using existing commonly available and 47 CFR part 15 compliant devices, such as cellular phones, smart devices, tablet computers, or laptop computers, to receive these broadcast messages."

All recent DJI drones can transmit in unencrypted Wi-Fi protocol, it will be available via a future firmware update, it's just a software thing, DJI has been manufacturing their drones with RID in mind since the Air 2, but legislation didn't catch till now.

DJI also made a test in 2019 called "drone to phone" which is basically RID as it is legislated now. https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... mote-identification

A lot of people complained back then, but texting on the net doesn't change legislations... and that's why we are now screwed and the hobby will go downhill next year, when the "steal that 4000€ M3 Cine that is flying near you" app releases to the public.

On the other hand, Mavic 3 already got the C1 classification that certifies that is compatible with eID, wich is basically RID but in Europe.
2022-9-2
Use props
JakeWest
lvl.1
United States

Isn’t this a video on it in the “Academy”?
DA63F341-D7F6-4952-A503-7D43209F0454.jpeg
2022-9-2
Use props
Bishop426
lvl.1

Iceland

bjr981s Posted at 9-2 08:43
I have to say Bishop426 "Why do you care" You live in Iceland and are not subject to US Drone laws and remote ID?

Because I care about stuff that will destroy this hobby for all of us. It's clear that EASA will pick this up very soon, it's in fact on the agenda, and so Europe will be next. Most likely the rest of the world will then follow suit including Australia.
2022-9-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JakeWest Posted at 9-2 13:36
Isn’t this a video on it in the “Academy”?

im not sure who made and posted that video but it might be old or not applicable for the current rid implementation.  the video shows the avata still able to fly even with an rid error and it also show the use of the mobile phone in order to make rid work correctly.  must understanding is the drone must not fly unless it can broadcast.  and i dont think many will be happy if you must use a mobile phone when flying.  the purpose is to obtain the gps coordinates of the ground device.
2022-9-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Bishop426 Posted at 9-2 13:57
Because I care about stuff that will destroy this hobby for all of us. It's clear that EASA will pick this up very soon, it's in fact on the agenda, and so Europe will be next. Most likely the rest of the world will then follow suit including Australia.

The good news is that RID can already be hacked away, you can make the drone invisible to Aeroscope and other "listeners", it's just a matter of time to get the hack refined to work with more recent firmwares.

The hack is free and they currently released a GUI version for it just a few days ago. It worked with my Mini 2, wich is using 01.03.0000 but you must use Fly app 1.5 or older or it will reset the hack to default. Tried on the M3 but it didn't work for me.

In the worst case scenario, I'm used to Karens anyway... they don't even need RID here in Spain, just unfold the drone and in less than 20 seconds someone will apper from behind to try to argue with you, it's like magic.
2022-9-2
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 9-2 15:19
The good news is that RID can already be hacked away, you can make the drone invisible to Aeroscope and other "listeners", it's just a matter of time to get the hack refined to work with more recent firmwares.

The hack is free and they currently released a GUI version for it just a few days ago. It worked with my Mini 2, wich is using 01.03.0000 but you must use Fly app 1.5 or older or it will reset the hack to default. Tried on the M3 but it didn't work for me.

Karens are breeding like rabbits.
2022-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules