Color banding using Pinnacle Studio
1244 7 2022-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGBellCSI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 693360 ft
United States

I am having problems with Color Banding in the sky when processing footage captured with my Mini 3 Pro using Pinnacle Studio 26. If I process the same footage with Davinci Resolve, there is little to no color banding. I normally capture in D-Cine, H.265, 4K30. It also has the banding if I capture using the Normal color profile.
Is anyone else using Pinnacle Studio to process your drone footage? Do you have significant color banding? Any workarounds?

Example Screenshots

2022-9-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there RGBellCSI. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party editing software ( Pinnacle Studio ) that you are using to edit your work . I hope that our fellow DJI Co Pilots  who are using this editing software can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter and also share what editing software they are using to edit there captured videos as well. Thank you.
2022-9-1
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most likely answer is that Davinci can handle 10bit footage and Pinnacle Studio only deals in 8bit colour depth. The banding you see is when there aren't enough colours in 8bit to give a nice gradual change.
2022-9-2
Use props
RGBellCSI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 693360 ft
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 9-2 09:40
Most likely answer is that Davinci can handle 10bit footage and Pinnacle Studio only deals in 8bit colour depth. The banding you see is when there aren't enough colours in 8bit to give a nice gradual change.

I haven't been able to find any information about Pinnacle Studio's ability to process 10 bit color.
Pinnacle Studio has the ability to generate free music and has a greater selection of transitions, other FX and Title generation that Davinci Resolve (free version) doesn't have. As a workaround, I can edit and color grade in Resolve and output video that doesn't have the banding. I can then import the video into Pinnacle and add whatever I want. I also have downloaded free music files for use with Resolve. The final output from Pinnacle does not have banding.
2022-9-2
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

I found a report in a German forum, that Pinnacle Studio can't export a 10 bit video. So editing 10 bit videos only in Da Vinci is recommended.

This way I never encountered banding.
2022-9-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RGBellCSI Posted at 9-2 12:19
I haven't been able to find any information about Pinnacle Studio's ability to process 10 bit color.
Pinnacle Studio has the ability to generate free music and has a greater selection of transitions, other FX and Title generation that Davinci Resolve (free version) doesn't have. As a workaround, I can edit and color grade in Resolve and output video that doesn't have the banding. I can then import the video into Pinnacle and add whatever I want. I also have downloaded free music files for use with Resolve. The final output from Pinnacle does not have banding.

I have found this, so it sounds like it does support 10bit but not in the format below

*Pinnacle Studio Smart Proxy supports the Apple ProRes format, but quality is limited to 4:2:2 8-bit.

The 1st image is really good, your second image is showing the banding

Also http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=10bit

2022-9-2
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

+1 for this most likely being an 8-bit issue.
Resolve paid version doesn't have any issues.
2022-9-2
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RGBellCSI Posted at 9-2 12:19

If the final output does not have banding, then the software is most likely displaying the video in 8bit to help playback remain smooth by reducing CPU/GPU load.

Perhaps there is a setting within the preferences which you can change to make it display 10bit colours, as any colour grading may look slightly different if graded in 8bit and then exported in 10.
2022-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules