DJI Avata destroying itself
3115 15 2022-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_bYaRzz13Y03k
lvl.1
Flight distance : 978005 ft
Germany

I have been flying the Avata for a few days now. (Most of the time in Manual Mode) Had a few bumps and small "craches" here and there, but nothing unusual for a cinewhoop. The cage of the Avata handled everything quite well as expected.

Today I was flying relatively low to the ground in a Forest and hit a small branch so the drone tumbled. So first thing I do is press the pause button. Problem being that now the motors turn up to try to get the drone in a up right position again. Seeing that I go for the disarm immediately.
At that point the drone is already on the ground.

As the propeller guard had a small branch stuck inside of it the ramping up of the motors of the brake switch back to normal mode resulted not only in the propeller being broken, but also the motor burned through and ripped apart it's mounting.

So two complaints:
1.: Why doesn't the software stop the motor from ripping itself and the arm it is mounted on apart. (All the damage  came from the motor, not from the impact)
2.If this was a normal Fpv drone, just get a new arm and a new motor and can be repaired easily within 30minutes .
Yet I asked dji support if I could buy just a replacement motor, the response was that is not possible. So now i have to use the dji care replacement on a damage i could easily repair myself (Even more annoying, that means I can't use the drone for probably more than a week)
2022-9-2
Use props
djiuser_bYaRzz13Y03k
lvl.1
Germany

Oh actually I did forget one of the worst parts:

So after i though ok, at least I got some dope videos(Had some really beautiful dives in my shots) But turns out the micro SD card got burned as well.... HOW? It is inside the drone. How did it get destroyed as well. You can see the Brun mark on the attached image. (The micro SD does not work anymore)
20220902_122136.jpg
2022-9-2
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_bYaRzz13Y03k Posted at 9-2 03:58
Oh actually I did forget one of the worst parts:

So after i though ok, at least I got some dope videos(Had some really beautiful dives in my shots) But turns out the micro SD card got burned as well.... HOW? It is inside the drone. How did it get destroyed as well. You can see the Brun mark on the attached image. (The micro SD does not work anymore)

What does Dope mean
2022-9-2
Use props
djiuser_bYaRzz13Y03k
lvl.1
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-2 07:43
What does Dope mean

Awesome, nice, beautiful
2022-9-2
Use props
katadair
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-2 07:43
What does Dope mean

From the Urban Dictionary:
Saying something is cool. Mostly heard in big cities.
2022-9-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate incident happened with your new DJI Avata. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for what happened and thank you.
2022-9-2
Use props
djiuser_GRiFH9WAf6EV
lvl.1

United States

So after i though ok, at least I got some dope videos(Had some really beautiful dives in my shots) But turns out the micro SD card got burned as well.... HOW? It is inside the drone. How did it get destroyed as well. You can see the Brun mark on the attached image. (The micro SD does not work anymore)

I have the same issue, I brought out my SD card and its burnt as well after 2 of my propellers mysteriously broke off mid-flight
2022-9-26
Use props
TobiasFPV
lvl.1
Germany

djiuser_GRiFH9WAf6EV Posted at 9-26 22:19
I have the same issue, I brought out my SD card and its burnt as well after 2 of my propellers mysteriously broke off mid-flight

Stop joking bro. I am not saying anything got destroyed mid flight. I said I crashed and the motors did not turn off.

The mor concerning issue is that even though the drone looked fine apart from mostly the props the SD Card on the inside was burned and destroyed.
2022-9-26
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah I had a similar issue with a motor.  DJI repair will replace the drone with another one; you wont get that drone back.  You should NOT have to use your Care Refresh for this as it sounds like a malfunction and a warranty claim. (push for that) They will examine and view the logs and more than likely you get a new one. Be sure to update the SN for your care refresh. (mine took almost 2 weeks with shipping)
2022-9-27
Use props
pedzsan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is odd is the black is towards the outside leading me to ask: which of the four props did the small branch get stuck inside and where was it stuck?  My guess is something was rubbing on the SD Card / USB-C cover.  The cover got hot and your SD card got hot.
2022-9-28
Use props
onjaymgmail.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 987736 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh actually I did forget one of the worst parts:

So after i though ok, at least I got some dope videos(Had some really beautiful dives in my shots) But turns out the micro SD card got burned as well.... HOW? It is inside the drone. How did it get destroyed as well. You can see the Brun mark on the attached image. (The micro SD does not work anymore)[Image]

My SD card has the exact same break literally identical to yours after an uncontrolled crash. Put it in the computer without realizing it was cracked and it started smoking. Lost all my footage.
2022-10-13
Use props
dwallersv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1843015 ft
  • >>>
United States

pedzsan Posted at 9-28 06:06
What is odd is the black is towards the outside leading me to ask: which of the four props did the small branch get stuck inside and where was it stuck?  My guess is something was rubbing on the SD Card / USB-C cover.  The cover got hot and your SD card got hot.

No, that burnt spot is from the ESC, which got blazing hot pushing all that power to the out of control motor.
2022-10-17
Use props
aoe2paladin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1823077 ft
  • >>>
United States

dwallersv Posted at 10-17 21:32
No, that burnt spot is from the ESC, which got blazing hot pushing all that power to the out of control motor.

Likely this
2022-10-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there. May we know if your problem is resolved now?
If there is anything else that we can help with, please feel free to let us know.
Thank you in advance.
2022-10-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bob Brown Posted at 9-27 12:07
Yeah I had a similar issue with the ESC.  DJI repair will replace the drone with another one; you wont get that drone back.  You should NOT have to use your Care Refresh for this as it sounds like a malfunction and a warranty claim. (push for that) They will examine and view the logs and more than likely you get a new one. Be sure to update the SN for your care refresh. (mine took almost 2 weeks with shipping)

We are sorry for the late reply and sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will the problem if the shipping time to the relevant team and see how we can do better.
If there is anything else that we can help with, please just let us know.
2022-10-21
Use props
djiuser_yqPyGYZI2Fze
lvl.1
Flight distance : 915961 ft
United States

You can get a pair of replacement motors from NewBeeDrone for $32. I got the BHobby 1507.2 3550KV Motor For DJI AVATA (Set of 2).

It flies as good as before, which isn't very good.

I have two issues, one in M mode, it switches to N mode unexpectedly, and another in N and S modes, it tilts into even gentle wind, that DJI has not been able to resolve. Burned a care refresh replacement that didn't fix the issues, then sent the replacement and the controller in for inspection. They charged me to repair the controller, which had not been an issue for me, and said they didn't find any issues with the quad. Still has the same issues. Have been communicating with DJI support for weeks about it, including hours of editing clips to send them to demonstrate the problem.

After emailing them after not getting any updates for a week, the support manager emailed me. I replied to her today with what I thought was a very polite and thoughtful email, and am hopeful that we will get to some sort of resolution. I have suggested a variety of resolutions, none of which her support team even responded yes or no to. Frustrating.

Perhaps I'll post the details of the problems. I didn't even know this forum existed until somehow I got an alert about your post.
2023-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules