First flght - signal and range unacceptable. Hyperlapse samples ...
1274 5 2022-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Black Diesel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66503 ft
United States

I have owned several DJI drones and I still own the Mavic 2 Pro.  I unboxed the Mini 3 Pro and fly more kit, charged batteries, updated all firmware, and went out for my first flight.  My first Hyperlapse attempts from my first flight are below.  The first attempt I ran a straight line course over the pier.  The Mini 3 Pro lost signal as it was crossing over the pier and started "hunting" on the other side instead of going straight.  I was on the beach not too far from the pier.

My second attempt I tried to fly over town above the streets but my drone kept losing signal where this hyperlapse was shot from.  This is the farthest it would fly away from me. I was very close and could see the drone from my loation on the beach (marked with a red X).  I could not believe it was losing signal as I could see the drone from my location.

After skimming another thread on this discussion, the manufacturer date on this drone is June 2022 made in Malaysia.  I see someone mentioned to turn off wifi and bluetooth so I powered it up this morning and those were both turned off.  

What am I missing here becuase something is really really wrong.  The remote (RC with display) was pointed at the drone.  I was not far from the drone at all in both hyperlapses where it would lose connection.  Firmware is the latest -  01.01.0300

Is there a different mode or frequency I can test on the remote?  I've just now started reading about some of the complaints about this but I thought this issue has been resolved with firmware.  Being that I have the latest firmware and this is a brand new drone and RC please tell me where to look because if this is "normal" it's completley unacceptable or maybe I have a bad unit from a bad batch?

I made a youtube account to upload the hperlapse videos.  The quality sucks but you can see what's going on here with the drone losing contact over the pier and also the limited range based on my location marked with a red x:

Position on Beach.png

2022-9-2
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

If no one else is having this problem looks like I have bad hardware like the user in this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D776%26typeid%3D776
2022-9-3
Use props
FlyBoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

You're not alone buddy. Still not quite sure what the deal with this is as I've kind of given up on it since mentioning it at release. Some people are getting good range while others like myself are getting better range with their original Mini than with their M3P.
2022-9-3
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-3 08:32
It may just be that particular location has lots of RF interference.  Personally I get phenomenal range with my Mini 3 Pro, also manufactured June 22 in Malaysia. 5+ miles.  Blows away every other drone I own (13 total).  I get 2+ miles over Baltimore City.  You could have a weak unit, or it could just be the location.  Try it somewhere else more isolated.

https://youtu.be/eA0sEaxyujQ

I have flown all my DJI drones here (I've owned nearly all of them) at this same location and I've had zero problems.  Going all the way back to the Phantom 1, I could fly all the way down the beach in the same location which would be ten times farther than the location where the Mini 3 pro disconnected.  It must be bad hardware.
2022-9-3
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Black Diesel Posted at 9-3 08:40
I have flown all my DJI drones here (I've owned nearly all of them) at this same location and I've had zero problems.  Going all the way back to the Phantom 1, I could fly all the way down the beach in the same location which would be ten times farther than the location where the Mini 3 pro disconnected.  It must be bad hardware.

Guess you haven't been reading about this issue since the Mini 3 Pro came out? I returned mine maybe 6 weeks ago and they only replaced the RC remote and not the drone. It helped improve the range but the range is nothing compared to all my other drones. Just figure the nature of the beast and figure they'll hopefully improve this with future firmware updates?
2022-9-3
Use props
Black Diesel
lvl.2
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 9-3 09:00
Guess you haven't been reading about this issue since the Mini 3 Pro came out? I returned mine maybe 6 weeks ago and they only replaced the RC remote and not the drone. It helped improve the range but the range is nothing compared to all my other drones. Just figure the nature of the beast and figure they'll hopefully improve this with future firmware updates?

I did hear about the complaints but then I saw some YouTube videos like those posted above claiming the range is fine and I thought the issue was fixed with firmware.  But that's clearly not the case as they have some units that work well and some units like mine that are horrible.
2022-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules