Here's part of my customer service experience. Start at bottom, long thread.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davisjeffw
lvl.1

United States

You are grasping at straws! Let me give you your spec to read:
(2)CE compliant devices have an effective communication range of 400 meters in open spaces due to power limitations. (3)FCC compliant devices have an effective range of 800 meters in open spaces.

It’s in FCC mode. It should work to 2,624.67 feet - per your spec. That’s about 1/2 of a mile. Even if it was in CE mode, that’s still over 1000 feet. I have clearly been telling you that the problem occurs within a couple hundred feet!

You didn’t answer MY question. When you test fly them, how far away?

My documentation is this email thread. So I need to get independent confirmation to support my “argument?" Really? I told you I talked to the dealer. Why would I or your dealer misrepresent the facts? What do either of us have to gain? So now you need a letter or something? That means you don’t believe me or you don’t care and don’t want to do the “right” thing.

Tell you what - I’m done.

I’m going to post this thread to the internet, repair it myself and sell the product. If anyone asks my opinion about your products, you know what my response will be.

Sincerely,

Jeff

On Aug 7, 2015, at 5:38 PM, DJI Technology <support@djitechnology.zendesk.com> wrote:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (178293) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

M. E. (DJI Technology )

Aug 7, 15:38

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your response. I do appreciate you working with me while I try to provide solutions that may be helpful for you. I also understand your qualifications and so more so appreciative of your effort.

There is one other thought I had on this point. Is it possible that the remote is in CE mode and not FCC mode? http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision%2B_Preparing_the_Remote_Controller

Forgive the redundancy of this information as you probably know this. CE mode is for much shorter difference then FCC mode. Perhaps that is where the issue lies. You will find out more on that point if you click on the link and scroll to the bottom of the page.

If you have any documentation or the dealer's opinion on this, perhaps getting that in writing may be helpful. Just suggesting that as a possible point in your argument. Please let us know. Perhaps I can find a solution that would be more win-win for you based on that.

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!

DJI Customer Service North America

Jeff Davis

Aug 7, 15:01

Obviously were not communicating here...

The unit DOES bind. If it didn’t how could everything work properly during initial flight?

The problem comes with DISTANCE. When I fly the Phantom a few hundred feet away, THAT is when the problem occurs.

Let me ask you a question… If you flight tested it, how far away from the Extender did you fly it?

I understand that using an iPad is at my own risk. I already informed you of that earlier. I simply used it to see if the iPhone was the problem - and it was not.

I’ve already talked with UAV - they diagnosed the problem over the phone and came to the same conclusion I did. While they have not physically looked at the unit, the source of the problem has been determined through a process of elimination by both of us.

Sincerely, I’m not trying to be difficult here. However, I’ve spent well over $1,000 on the Phantom, 3 extra batteries, a case, extra propellors, etc. and it doesn’t work as it’s supposed to. Never did.

I know DJI is currently the market leader in drones and generally you have a good product. What is so darn frustrating is that MOST companies would not make me endure a 9 week repair cycle time for what seems to clearly be a warranty issue and then ask me to go through that process AGAIN… I simply won’t do that. It’s not worth the aggravation.

You’re not dealing with some kid either. I have an electrical engineering degree and am a practicing engineer. I’m 55 years old. My considerable experience tells me that this is a defective product and that MOST companies, instead of not reading what I’ve written, don’t keep telling me to do something that is written in a customer service manual after I’ve explained that I’ve already performed those operations.

Please CAREFULLY read what I have written so there is no further miscommunication.

If your only response is to have me send the product back again and start at the beginning of a 6+ week que after only receiving the product back 3-4 days ago, we’re done here.

Jeff

M. E. (DJI Technology )

Aug 7, 14:29

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your response. When I review the repair ticket, it suggests that the technicians are able to bind the remote. While I understand you are unable to complete this action, I would not be able to facilitate either of your options. I am sorry for any misunderstanding on this point. However, i do have another suggestion. You can always go to UAV Direct to see if they are able to bind the unit. As technicians do perform test flights before the unit is sent out, at least you would know if the prognosis on your end is correct or not. If your unit is failing, then you would have a third party diagnosis on this point.

In your email, you referred more to the iPad then the iPhone. In the specs page, it does talk about the iPad not being a supported device. Therefore, it is not advisable to use the iPad: http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec

"The Future of Possible!

Jeff Davis

Aug 7, 13:39

I’ve already told you that I will not wait another 9 weeks to get the unit back. That’s not up for discussion.

If you like, you can send me a new unit and I will ship mine back. Alternatively, you can authorize UAV Direct to do the repair.

If not, I’m going to have it repaired myself at my own cost and sell it. If anyone asks me about my experience and for a recommendation on whether or not to buy your products - the answer will be a resounding NO!

Let me know how you’d like to proceed.

Jeff

M. E. (DJI Technology )

Aug 7, 13:30

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting DJI.

The issues that you're describing require for you to send in your unit for repair.

In order to be issued an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number, we encourage you to call our support staff via phone to discuss your options.

You may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.

If you need repair of a Ronin, Ronin-M, Inspire 1, or any flight controller please press option 1 when calling in.

For any Phantom related questions or repair needs, please press option 2.

If you have an Inspire 1 or Phantom 3, you may alternatively seek an RMA through our chat agents Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm PST here: http://www.dji.com/support

"The Future of Possible!”

Jeff Davis

Aug 7, 12:39

P.S. It’s pretty obvious what the problem is from my end. While the unit will bind, when it moves away from the WiFi extender, it loses signal. That means that there is a most likely a problem with the RF front end circuitry in either the Phantom or the Extender which is used to pick up and amplify the signals between them.

That is not something that would be easily picked up at test unless you evaluated signal strength, etc. or tested under actual flying conditions. Simply binding the unit won’t pick that problem up.

… for what it’s worth.

Jeff

On Aug 7, 2015, at 1:49 PM, Jeff Davis <davisjeffw@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> The mobile unit is NOT the problem.
>
> As an engineer (we talked about that), if you have a problem you work to isolate it. I did so by changing out my phone for the iPad which is not cellular capable. I had the same problem. I understand that you don’t support an iPad app, but they work and it helped isolate the problem for me. It’s NOT the iPhone.
>
> So, to save a useless argument I went out this morning and precisely followed your instructions as below with my iPhone 6+.
>> 1) Airplane mode
>> 2) Phantom turned on
>> 3) Range Extender on
>> 4) reset button range extender
>> 5) After reconnects, Connect to Phantom wifi on phone
>> 6) Launch app
>> 7) Settings > General> Binding
>> 8) Scan QR on bottom
>>
> Guess what? SAME ISSUE!
>
> When the Phantom gets more than 100 (maybe 200) feet away I lose video on the phone.
>
> What do you suggest now?
>
> Jeff
>
>
> On Aug 6, 2015, at 6:30 PM, DJI Technology <support@djitechnology.zendesk.com> wrote:
>
>>

Jeff Davis

Aug 7, 11:49

The mobile unit is NOT the problem.

As an engineer (we talked about that), if you have a problem you work to isolate it. I did so by changing out my phone for the iPad which is not cellular capable. I had the same problem. I understand that you don’t support an iPad app, but they work and it helped isolate the problem for me. It’s NOT the iPhone.

So, to save a useless argument I went out this morning and precisely followed your instructions as below with my iPhone 6+.
> 1) Airplane mode
> 2) Phantom turned on
> 3) Range Extender on
> 4) reset button range extender
> 5) After reconnects, Connect to Phantom wifi on phone
> 6) Launch app
> 7) Settings > General> Binding
> 8) Scan QR on bottom
>
Guess what? SAME ISSUE!

When the Phantom gets more than 100 (maybe 200) feet away I lose video on the phone.

What do you suggest now?

Jeff

M. E. (DJI Technology )

Aug 6, 16:30

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the information on the mobile unit because that is your problem. The Vision App is only for mobile phones. The iPad is not a recommended device. Please use a smart phone instead.

"The Future of Possible!

Jeff Davis

Aug 6, 15:50

Ok, so what is new here is Airplane mode first?

I will give it a try tomorrow however I’m skeptical as my iPad is not cellular enabled and exhibits the same problem.

Will let you know…

M. E. (DJI Technology )

Aug 6, 15:07

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your response. I do appreciate you working with me on this problem and I understand you have a technical background for this type of process. Usually when this happens, we encourage people to try this process as well:

1) Airplane mode
2) Phantom turned on
3) Range Extender on
4) reset button range extender
5) After reconnects, Connect to Phantom wifi on phone
6) Launch app
7) Settings > General> Binding
8) Scan QR on bottom

Please follow in the steps provided. Unfortunately, I would not be able to facilitate a warranty repair to a dealer. However, I am confident that these steps can work. I do see where the technicians were able to get the unit bound to the remote. They also have quality control before sending out a unit. Please try this again. I thank you for your patience in working with me today on this.

"The Future of Possible!

Jeff Davis

Aug 6, 11:55

I have done everything you suggested.

Some of what you suggested was already stated in my message to you. I have re-bound the unit several times to both an iPhone 6+ and a iPad air, using 2 different applications. All have the latest software (I get automatic updates from Apple) and plenty of free space - 2.9Gb on my phone and >10Gb on my iPad.. As mentioned below I’ve already reduced the frame rate to 320x240, 15fps. And, yes, I’ve re-loaded the applications as well. Just so we’re clear, I’m a hardware/software engineer by profession so I know how to debug these types of issues.

Sorry to repeat myself again - I re-bind the unit and get video. It works fine. Then when I take off, after getting no more than 100 feet away, I lose video and everything locks up on the phone/iPad. I then re-bind the unit (again) and when I get about 100 feet away, it loses video and locks up (again). The SIM card records video fine, it’s the communication link to the phone when more than about 100 feet away.

I’m not waiting another 9 weeks for you to fix it. If you won’t consider UAV Direct as an alternative, I’m done with DJI and it’s products. I’ll fix it myself, sell it and buy something from one of your competitors. The only alternative I’m willing to consider is if you will upgrade me to a Phantom 3 (for free) as I understand that it is a much more stable platform.

Sincerely,

Jeff Davis

M. E. (DJI Technology )

Aug 6, 10:50

Dear Jeff Davis,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technology. I understand you may of tried some of these steps. However, I do see in the repair ticket that technician was able to bind this unit. Therefore, you should be able to rebind this app. For this reason, I am requesting that you try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware
  • Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software
  • Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications
  • Check the free space on your mobile device, we recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be causing the issue.
  • Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again
  • Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app

If these steps do not help, please reply to this email or call our response team for further Assistance. Please also indicate the model and software of the mobile device you are using.

Unfortunately, we would not be able to provide authorization for a warranty repair from a dealer.

+1 (818) 235 0789
Mon-Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (PST)

Jeff Davis

Aug 5, 10:47

This is a follow-up to your previous request #174269 "Re: [DJI Technology ] ... i..."

Hi,

I received my Phantom back - Thank you.

However, it still suffers from the same problem. I’ve taken it out to fly twice. Every time, after getting about 100 feet away from me, I lose video. I have tried it with both my iPhone6 and iPad air. I have them set on the lowest preview quality possible (320x240 15fps). Same result. It does record video to the sim card just fine, I just can’t see where I’m going.

I have shut everything down, reset the WiFi extender, re-bound it and the same problem re-occurs consistently.

Here is what I’d like to do…

UAV Direct is one of your authorized distributors and they are only 15 minutes away. I would like you to authorize them to do the repair. I’ve spoken to them and they seem to be very supportive of their customers and can fix it within a few days. They tell me since it’s a warranty issue and I didn’t buy it from them, they can’t do the work. They would have to charge me.

My reasoning is simple. It took almost 3 weeks for you to check in the device from receipt and then another 6 weeks to fix it. If I’m looking at another 9 weeks to solve the problem then, I just want my money back. The product doesn’t work.

Please let me know what you want to do. If you won’t authorize them to do the repair, I will have it done myself and sell the product to someone else.

I’m done wasting time with this mess.

Jeff

This email is a service from DJI Technology . Delivered by Zendesk.

2015-8-7
Use props
rob_harrison
New

Canada

I feel your pain Jeff. I bought a used PH2 online here.  Had it for a couple of days and it wasn't working properly (I suspect the previous owner crashed it).  I decided to do a firmware upgrade and was never able to use it again without fail.  The controller wouldn't sync to the quad properly, or would sync and then I would calibrate it and I would lose the connection between the two.  I decided to send it away for repairs (it was under warranty....or I'm hoping some is).  I was told on the phone it would be back in my hands in 6 weeks from checkin.   By the 6th week , I tried calling and ofcourse.....you can't call because there are too many calls.  So I created another ticket to find out what was going on with my repair....a few days later they replied and told me the 6 weeks was an average but then also stated they were moving the repair facility or something and now the average wait time was 8 weeks. BEAUTY.  I would've definitely opted to just have the damn thing repaired here had I known it would've been such an ordeal.  I read about the long wait times but I guess hoped mine would be a quick fix and it would be back....I still have no idea what is wrong....how long it will take to fix and I sent it out June 10th (checked in on the 19th).  Really disappointing.
2015-8-10
Use props
davisjeffw
lvl.1

United States

rob_harrison@ro Posted at 2015-8-10 11:53
I feel your pain Jeff. I bought a used PH2 online here.  Had it for a couple of days and it wasn't w ...

Hi Rob,

Now for the rest of the story...

After getting it back from DJI is still had the problem - WiFi module was defective. I complained to DJI only to have them argue with me. They didn't even seem to read what I'd written in my emails, just took the stance that I was the one with the problem. I remind you I was still under "warranty."

So, out of total frustration, I went found an authorized distributor who also does repairs. Problem is that DJI won't allow the dealer to do warranty repair work at no charge to the customer. So, I bit the bullet and paid a total of $296.60 to get the problem diagnosed and fixed within 4 days!

The dealer confirmed that the WiFi module was defective and replaced it. Something I have been trying to tell DJI for MONTHS! By the way, DJI advertises much further flying distances. They were only able to get out to 1400 feet before the same problem occurred. I won't name the dealer, but they told me that in their experience the PH2 Never reaches it's range spec. Further, they are dropping DJI and moving on to sell and support other manufacturers products. They are tired of the same kinds of things I've experienced. Sure, if you get one that works, that's great. If you don't, you're screwed.

I'm now in for a total of about $375 and 3 months on a product that never worked out of the box.

Not to get emotional here but I will NEVER buy another DJI product and will also to do my very best to make sure my friends and family don't make the same mistake.

In today's society, in the USA at least customer service  and warranty support is a part what you buy. DJI has failed completely with me.
2015-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules