Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SCoutts
First Officer
Flight distance : 1922434 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey Guys,

Back in the Spark days I discovered a little trick I like to call the "the nudge". Basically while holding your drone, you execute a CSC (combination stick command) to start the motors and nudge the drone up or pull it down. This motion kicks of a takeoff and hover. My best guess is that it was a safety feature of some sort, like the 90 degree emergency shutoff.

I realize pushing up on the left joystick (stick mode 2) will acomplish the same thing but the nudge is just quicker and perhaps a little more special.

It worked and still works with my Spark, Mini 1 and Mini 2. Friends comfirmed that it worked with some other DJI drones too.

It does not work with the Mini 3 Pro and I am curious if anyone knows why it got dropped. Too dangerous?

I attached a video of me demonstrating in case my words didn't quite describe it. Cheers!

https://youtube.com/shorts/-5YH9PxOF0o
2022-9-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, i did a post about this a while back,  yes its missing in the same way that it used to work, but there is a cut down version still available,  as per DAFlys in that thread i linked to,

• Start props with the sticks and nudge off fails
  • Start props with the take-off button and nudge works.
  • Start props with the take-off button and do nothing, after about 6 seconds the drone starts power to the props trying to take off over the force of being held.

2022-9-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-3 18:35
Hi, i did a post about this a while back,  yes its missing in the same way that it used to work, but there is a cut down version still available,  as per DAFlys in that thread i linked to,

Cheers Bashy for the mention.   
2022-9-3
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

it does not work with mini 3
2022-9-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fateofangel Posted at 9-4 01:23
it does not work with mini 3

Confirmed working on Mini 3 Pro when you start props with the take-off button the nudge works.  I live on a large boat and this is the method I use every flight.  
2022-9-4
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting, I never knew this feature existed on other drones!  It's a good day when you learn something new every day!  

Interesting its not working on the Mini 3 Pro though...
2022-9-4
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-4 06:10
Confirmed working on Mini 3 Pro when you start props with the take-off button the nudge works.  I live on a large boat and this is the method I use every flight.

but pressing button one hand while keeping radio may be hard and unsafe if you keep the drone another hand
Maybe its easier on RC
2022-9-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

as long as it's safe, the feature should be implemented on all dji drones.  maybe in the future, they can find a way to get one-handed launch like this, 0:51 quicklaunch:

2022-9-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

fateofangel Posted at 9-4 10:55
but pressing button one hand while keeping radio may be hard and unsafe if you keep the drone another hand
Maybe its easier on RC

Just takes a little practice and then it is easy to do.  
2022-9-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-4 11:14
as long as it's safe, the feature should be implemented on all dji drones.  maybe in the future, they can find a way to get one-handed launch like this, 0:51 quicklaunch:

https://youtu.be/413N0ukl0s4?t=51

It would really be great if DJI implemented the 4 button touch to launch.  
2022-9-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 9-4 10:55
but pressing button one hand while keeping radio may be hard and unsafe if you keep the drone another hand
Maybe its easier on RC

It's quite awkward to do, you have to balance the RC on your arm. It is a pain, i would love to see the proper nudge retired, i did a post about it a while back.
2022-9-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 9-4 11:14
as long as it's safe, the feature should be implemented on all dji drones.  maybe in the future, they can find a way to get one-handed launch like this, 0:51 quicklaunch:

https://youtu.be/413N0ukl0s4?t=51

With the Mini 3 Pro, this battery button press idea wouldnt work well as its not an ideal launching position. The button is on the top and its asking for trouble.

I cannot see why DJi couldn't add this button press idea to the RC though, 4x press of C2 would be a great way to do it
2022-9-5
Use props
fanse0f68750
lvl.3
Flight distance : 239672 ft
United States

I wrongly assumed that because this worked with my mini 2 it was a feature of all their drones. Imagine my surprise when I attempted it with my new air 2s and nearly tossed the drone on the ground!
2022-9-6
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Bashy Posted at 9-3 18:35

Thanks. The take-off button technique basically does the trick. The CSC + nudge felt more special though, like you knew something that others didn't. Balancing the remote in the crook of your arm while executing a CSC always felt a bit sketchy though so maybe this is DJI boosting the safety.

Interesting nonetheless. Cheers!
2022-9-6
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

KlooGee Posted at 9-4 07:15
Interesting, I never knew this feature existed on other drones!  It's a good day when you learn something new every day!  

Interesting its not working on the Mini 3 Pro though...

Always good to learn a new trick. :-)

Yeah, my guess is it got dumped for safety reasons but could just be a bug. Cheers!
2022-9-6
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-4 06:10
Confirmed working on Mini 3 Pro when you start props with the take-off button the nudge works.  I live on a large boat and this is the method I use every flight.

Yup, that technique does work just fine. It doesn't feel as "special" though - haha!
2022-9-6
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-5 04:53
It would really be great if DJI implemented the 4 button touch to launch.

On the M3Pro that might get you a fingernail trim. :-)
2022-9-6
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Bashy Posted at 9-5 19:27
With the Mini 3 Pro, this battery button press idea wouldnt work well as its not an ideal launching position. The button is on the top and its asking for trouble.

I cannot see why DJi couldn't add this button press idea to the RC though, 4x press of C2 would be a great way to do it

Yes! Any remote button combination that would permit holding the drone in one hand while the other hand safely and easily executes a sequence to get the drone to take off would be a welcome addition.

I hand launch/land 99% of the time. A quick CSC + nudge was my preferred method even though balancing the remote can be a bit tricky.

Using the take off button method doesn't solve anything for me because my thumb can't reach across the remote. I have to re-position the remote. It would work nicely for lefties though.

I'm not optimistic DJI will implement some kind of button activated quick launch for folks who like to hand launch anytime soon. If they do though, DJI needs to consider left and right handed folks and make it easy to execute while maintaining a solid grip on the remote.

Cheers!
2022-9-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

SCoutts Posted at 9-6 10:42
Yup, that technique does work just fine. It doesn't feel as "special" though - haha!

Nothing special but is a nice function to have.  
2022-9-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

SCoutts Posted at 9-6 10:46
On the M3Pro that might get you a fingernail trim. :-)

Yeah, after a little thought it could present that possibility.  
2022-9-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SCoutts Posted at 9-6 10:54
Yes! Any remote button combination that would permit holding the drone in one hand while the other hand safely and easily executes a sequence to get the drone to take off would be a welcome addition.

I hand launch/land 99% of the time. A quick CSC + nudge was my preferred method even though balancing the remote can be a bit tricky.

Yeah, with the Mini 2 it was relatively easy, i could use my elbow to help with the CSC.

I think DJI should now afford us some actual "Pro" features and take on board some of what were asking for, namely, to be able to shut down sensors including landing and take off, so the app needs a pro mode.
2022-9-6
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

With a bit off practice hand take off & landing works like a charm:

2022-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules