DJI RC Pro satellite and mixed maps
4605 29 2022-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1133730 ft
Vietnam

Is anyone in the same situation as me? My RC Pro switched to satellite and mixed versions, the image is very blurry, I can't see the rc pro is at the latest fw and the dji fly is at 1.7.
59DAF243-FC84-48A9-A925-12F7BD38959A.jpeg
246A6BA1-D96B-4540-B5A6-7C09DBD5B113.jpeg
2022-9-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you have a wifi connection to the internet?   Looks like youre seeing some cached images.
2022-9-4
Use props
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Vietnam

DAFlys Posted at 9-4 23:02
Did you have a wifi connection to the internet?   Looks like youre seeing some cached images.

i already connected to wifi and i tried with DJI RC controller same problem.  Then I went to the DJI service center and tried it with some of the staff there and DJI Rc Pro and DJI Rc both had the same situation.  It's annoying to have such an expensive controller in flight
2022-9-4
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It was better on earlier versions of the app, think they used a different map source then. There was then an issue when the aerial photo type maps didn't work at all, then they "fixed" it, but agree it is very poor in resolution since that "fix".
2022-9-6
Use props
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Vietnam

Axelz Posted at 9-6 03:13
It was better on earlier versions of the app, think they used a different map source then. There was then an issue when the aerial photo type maps didn't work at all, then they "fixed" it, but agree it is very poor in resolution since that "fix".

i'm very disappointed when a fairly expensive rc pro product has such a condition, i mostly use satellite maps to fly, i upgraded from rc-n1 to rc pro just to  there is convenience but dji let me down
E4BE292E-B3E4-4C9F-80F5-D3F4165466F2.jpeg
2022-9-6
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ Posted at 9-6 03:26
i'm very disappointed when a fairly expensive rc pro product has such a condition, i mostly use satellite maps to fly, i upgraded from rc-n1 to rc pro just to  there is convenience but dji let me down

Check out my post "RC Pro DJI Fly 1.6.8 map view not working properly?" on this group re my comments above.
2022-9-6
Use props
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Vietnam

Axelz Posted at 9-6 05:23
Check out my post "RC Pro DJI Fly 1.6.8 map view not working properly?" on this group re my comments above.

i have looked but can't find a fix, my dji rc pro is running dji fly version 1.7.0
2022-9-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Try installing Google Maps. My RC Pro has 1.7 and the maps are good.
2022-9-6
Use props
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Vietnam

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-6 06:09

can you show me how to install google maps and can you take screenshots on your rc pro?
2022-9-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Use the browser to find and download APK Pure. Install Google Maps from there.
2022-9-6
Use props
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Vietnam

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-6 11:08
[view_image]

looks like you are flying with mavic air 2s.  i tried how to install google map from apkpure but it doesn't seem to work with mavic 3?
2022-9-6
Use props
ALichty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3977520 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-6 11:08
[view_image]

Not sure how your image depicts Google Maps in use. I get exactly the same screen with my RC Pro for a Mavic 3 when I bring up layers on the map with the default maps on the controller.

I subsequently installed Google Maps and don't see any way to have its maps replace the default one that are already built in.
2022-9-9
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't believe it is possible to change the map source in the app like this, just by installing google maps. Hopefully DJI will improve the resolution and/or change the mapping data provider soon as it's really not good enough, especially for a more "pro" bit of kit. Had a quick look at DJI Go 4 for iOS today and the maps are far superior.
2022-9-13
Use props
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Vietnam

Axelz Posted at 9-13 12:24
I don't believe it is possible to change the map source in the app like this, just by installing google maps. Hopefully DJI will improve the resolution and/or change the mapping data provider soon as it's really not good enough, especially for a more "pro" bit of kit. Had a quick look at DJI Go 4 for iOS today and the maps are far superior.

yes I am waiting for dji to respond on this. I took the drone outdoors to get gps points but the map is still very blurry so disappointing.
2022-9-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Axelz Posted at 9-13 12:24

I know that you can use alternate maps using "Find my Drone" I do have Google Maps installed and never had the blurry maps.
2022-9-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

I just looked at your location on Fly on my S22 and my RC Pro. Perfectly clear when zoomed in to the max.
2022-9-14
Use props
djiuser_VmihpNUfxVT3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 60935 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-6 06:09

Did you install Google Services as well?
2022-9-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_VmihpNUfxVT3 Posted at 9-18 08:59
Did you install Google Services as well?

Nope. DJI won't allow Google services.
2022-9-18
Use props
gerryb.internode
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38553 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have exactly the same issue. I bought an RC PRO so that I could use it for my Mini3Pro and my Air2S
2022-9-18
Use props
gerryb.internode
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38553 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have exactly the same issue. I bought an RC PRO so that I could use it for my Mini3Pro and my Air2S. If I use my RC N1 controller with my iPhone, everything works perfectly and both the maps and satellite views are as they should be - it even asks what maps you want to use e.g. Google, Apple etc. However, if I use the RC controller, or the RC PRO, on a mobile hotspot or home wifi, I have an out of date map (by about 4 years) in map view and a totally unusable satellite view - just as posted here. I can use "Location" on the Fly app and get a perfectly good satellite image of wherever I nominate. However, the Fly app doesn't use that to display a current position within the app and defaults to that nominated by the app on DJI servers. The maps DJI use - MapBox being one, are out of date and any attempt to see a satellite view is useless, as also illustrated here. As far as I can tell, from searching various forums, both the RC and RC PRO have their own GPS and that's why using location gives the correct result. I cannot believe that DJI have not addressed this issue as it makes both the RC and RC PRO controllers unfit for purpose and I object to paying AU$1599 for the RC PRO to find it's been a known problem for some time. Why has DJI quietly ignored the issue ? I'd be grateful if anyone knows of a workaround or why hundreds of users have not complained to DJI to get them to fix it. I'm using 1.7.4 of the firmware (i.e. the latest)
2022-9-18
Use props
djiuser_n9RobhARECJZ
lvl.3
Vietnam

gerryb.internode Posted at 9-18 23:27
I have exactly the same issue. I bought an RC PRO so that I could use it for my Mini3Pro and my Air2S. If I use my RC N1 controller with my iPhone, everything works perfectly and both the maps and satellite views are as they should be - it even asks what maps you want to use e.g. Google, Apple etc. However, if I use the RC controller, or the RC PRO, on a mobile hotspot or home wifi, I have an out of date map (by about 4 years) in map view and a totally unusable satellite view - just as posted here. I can use "Location" on the Fly app and get a perfectly good satellite image of wherever I nominate. However, the Fly app doesn't use that to display a current position within the app and defaults to that nominated by the app on DJI servers. The maps DJI use - MapBox being one, are out of date and any attempt to see a satellite view is useless, as also illustrated here. As far as I can tell, from searching various forums, both the RC and RC PRO have their own GPS and that's why using location gives the correct result. I cannot believe that DJI have not addressed this issue as it makes both the RC and RC PRO controllers unfit for purpose and I object to paying AU$1599 for the RC PRO to find it's been a known problem for some time. Why has DJI quietly ignored the issue ? I'd be grateful if anyone knows of a workaround or why hundreds of users have not complained to DJI to get them to fix it. I'm using 1.7.4 of the firmware (i.e. the latest)

i contacted DJI support and they told me to give them 4 to 5 days for them to survey directly with DJI engineering and they will reply to me.  You keep waiting for good news from me hahaha
2022-9-18
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If only DJI released the SDK to support the Mavic 3 then we could use 3rd party apps with better mapping sources! it is frustrating though especially on this premium device.  Noted that on their DJI Pilot app for enterprise drones [M300] for example, you can actually change the map source from a drop down though it only had two choices, one of which was for in China I think. DJI please listen to this feedback and implement a map source which is fit for purpose, why on earth can't we use Google or a more up to date source?
2022-10-12
Use props
G4SuperGaleb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1265249 ft
Canada

I agree! I also have the DJI RC (for my mini 3 pro and the RC Pro for my Mavic 3. Both have vastly inferior maps when compared to my Mini SE using an old iPhone!!!!! DJI please escalate this to your technical department. It’s unacceptable and very disappointing.

Now that we have waypoints for the Mavic 3 especially, having satellite maps is literally a must for safety of the waypoints missions. Even in the non satellite maps I’m getting incorrect street names displayed on the RC Pro and RC remotes.  
2023-1-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 2022-9-18 17:28
Nope. DJI won't allow Google services.

Im not sure if DJI even has a choice in the matter, but 100% this is the reason why we cannot have google maps on the screened RC's, which is a shame because i much prefer to use Chrome where i can sign in and all my data is synced, passwords the lot, we cant even sign into Chrome without Google services installed.

If one could root the RC Pro then you might be able to install GApps manually but I'm not sure that would even work because you cannot manually add other accounts to the RC, only the DJI account. Heck, i cant even use the paid-for premium version of my weather app because it needs to talk to the Google Play Store to see if i have a sub. I will have to look for a hacked version of it if i really want it on there.

There's certainly a Google licensing issue between DJI and the US, but this does not explain why they are now using MapTiler though as opposed to MapBox, but then MapBox is US based so its either the same issue as Google or their pricing.
2023-1-23
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-23 19:47
Im not sure if DJI even has a choice in the matter, but 100% this is the reason why we cannot have google maps on the screened RC's, which is a shame because i much prefer to use Chrome where i can sign in and all my data is synced, passwords the lot, we cant even sign into Chrome without Google services installed.

If one could root the RC Pro then you might be able to install GApps manually but I'm not sure that would even work because you cannot manually add other accounts to the RC, only the DJI account. Heck, i cant even use the paid-for premium version of my weather app because it needs to talk to the Google Play Store to see if i have a sub. I will have to look for a hacked version of it if i really want it on there.

I just installed Chrome on my RC Pro. Just uploaded a video to Facebook using the webpage. You can't sign in to your Google account, but you can use Chrome browser. I do have Google Maps installed too. It doesn't integrate with Fly though. That would be NICE!
2023-1-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-24 10:45
I just installed Chrome on my RC Pro. Just uploaded a video to Facebook using the webpage. You can't sign in to your Google account, but you can use Chrome browser. I do have Google Maps installed too. It doesn't integrate with Fly though. That would be NICE!

Yeah, I too have chrome installed, not installed gmaps yet though, the problem is not having Google services installed and not being able to add a Google account to the RC.

Could do with someone who is good with compiling android, the we could root the RC and install a version that has Google services installed, then it's just a case of installing GApps. The main issue is needing someone with that knowledge that has the RC Pro, unlikely combination
2023-1-24
Use props
DominoDoggy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 948123 ft
United States

As a customer who spends money to purchase products, I don't care about licensing issues. I don't care what Google wants or what DJI wants. All I want is current, high resolution maps. I don't care how they arrive at that goal as long as they get there. License the #@$* software. Pass the costs on to consumers, but get it done. I don't want to revisit these posts and comments in a year and still not have decent maps. This will hurt DJI's sales if they start getting a reputation for not caring what maps their customers use.

Personally I don't think the FAA would care much about DJI pushing outdated maps as the default and only choice. Maybe we should get their opinion.

2023-3-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

I use Weatherbug. it has a free version and a paid version. The satellite views are as great, much better than DJI. That tells me that it's NOT a fee problem.
2023-3-2
Use props
fans586bfbe4
lvl.1
United States

delete new thread
2023-3-5
Use props
fans586bfbe4
lvl.1
United States

delete new thread