780 75 2022-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes,  well I had intended to do some track days but as I got the special limited edition version it turned out its worth more now than I paid for it new three years ago so Im forbidden from that fun.
2022-9-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 9-6 03:38
We have two cars,   something sensible and boring and this.

Yeah, just kidding.
We all have our hobbies right.
2022-9-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-6 01:12
Same,  rain over night the last few days although I dont think its getting nice for a few days.

Got a soaking this morning - and the pocket2 came too
2022-9-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome DA.  

Well, just came from check up and staples don't come out Monday, Sept. 12.  Everything healing quite well Doctor said.
2022-9-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 9-6 05:41
Got a soaking this morning - and the pocket2 came too

I had taken a change of clothes with me just in case and did need to swap the t-shirt after the first shower.
2022-9-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 9-6 03:39
Yeah, just kidding.
We all have our hobbies right.

Id quite like to swap it for an electric car but nows not a good time to do that.
2022-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 9-7 01:05
Id quite like to swap it for an electric car but nows not a good time to do that.

Yeah, it's a difficult thing. I feel that EV is not the 'be all end all' solution.
In my brain hydrogen should be used more, but right now that has some big drawbacks too.
2022-9-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-6 08:52
You're very welcome DA.  

Well, just came from check up and staples don't come out Monday, Sept. 12.  Everything healing quite well Doctor said.

Thats brilliant news DT.  
2022-9-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 9-7 01:10
Yeah, it's a difficult thing. I feel that EV is not the 'be all end all' solution.
In my brain hydrogen should be used more, but right now that has some big drawbacks too.

At least with electric you centralise where the fuel is made so any update to make that more efficient only has to be done in a few places and not millions of vehicles.  
2022-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 9-7 01:20
At least with electric you centralise where the fuel is made so any update to make that more efficient only has to be done in a few places and not millions of vehicles.

That is true.
And one of the reason I sometimes feel like we should not be having solar panels on every roof (and batteries later), but leave the producing of energy to companies that specialize in this.
2022-9-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-7 01:17
Thats brilliant news DT.

Thanks DA.    Hope you are having a wonderful day.
2022-9-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-7 01:29
That is true.
And one of the reason I sometimes feel like we should not be having solar panels on every roof (and batteries later), but leave the producing of energy to companies that specialize in this.

Monty, here in the US if you add solar panels to your roof most insurance companies raise the annual premium.  They say that is because of the extra weight put on the roof and the cost of a claim should a major storm blow through and rip off a bunch of solar panels.  Do you have something like that in the NL?
2022-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-7 04:06
Monty, here in the US if you add solar panels to your roof most insurance companies raise the annual premium.  They say that is because of the extra weight put on the roof and the cost of a claim should a major storm blow through and rip off a bunch of solar panels.  Do you have something like that in the NL?

I'm not sure about it, but it does make (some) sense. They (solar panels) have been the cause of many fires too.
Still we encourage people to put them on their roofs everywhere.
2022-9-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-7 04:08
I'm not sure about it, but it does make (some) sense. They (solar panels) have been the cause of many fires too.
Still we encourage people to put them on their roofs everywhere.

Kind of mixed signals here.  Local power company doesn't want them on consumer's houses and and pay next to nothing for any unused power that you sale back to them.  The solar industry is pushing them as a energy bill saver but they also admit with the cost it takes about 12 years to break even.  

I have one on my live aboard boat but it is strictly for emergency use in case I don't have access to shore power and also that both my generators onboard were to go out at the same time.  .  
2022-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-7 05:00
Kind of mixed signals here.  Local power company doesn't want them on consumer's houses and and pay next to nothing for any unused power that you sale back to them.  The solar industry is pushing them as a energy bill saver but they also admit with the cost it takes about 12 years to break even.  

I have one on my live aboard boat but it is strictly for emergency use in case I don't have access to shore power and also that both my generators onboard were to go out at the same time.  .

Yeah, we are in a transitioning phase and companies do their best to either find new markets or protect what they have. Both feel unfair for us consumers (duh).
I always thought like running the house like a boat would be the best way (only use what you can generate) but it has some drawbacks too.

2022-9-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-7 05:12
Yeah, we are in a transitioning phase and companies do their best to either find new markets or protect what they have. Both feel unfair for us consumers (duh).
I always thought like running the house like a boat would be the best way (only use what you can generate) but it has some drawbacks too.

As a green initiative I like it but the concept still has a few quirks to be worked out for sure.  It also needs to be a bit more consumer friendly.
2022-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-7 07:54
As a green initiative I like it but the concept still has a few quirks to be worked out for sure.  It also needs to be a bit more consumer friendly.

Yes, for example the fire department having issues with solar panels when trying to extinguish a fire.
And old wiring in houses that are not ready for this task.
Or older panels that don't produce as efficiently.
Or roofs that are not in the optimal direction.
There is a lot to say for centralized production of energy.
2022-9-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-7 08:01
Yes, for example the fire department having issues with solar panels when trying to extinguish a fire.
And old wiring in houses that are not ready for this task.
Or older panels that don't produce as efficiently.

All great points Monty.  I too favor centralized solar production.  Nice to see several new commercial solar farms starting to be developed here in Florida.  
2022-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-7 08:04
All great points Monty.  I too favor centralized solar production.  Nice to see several new commercial solar farms starting to be developed here in Florida.

And maybe they can also add batteries, to be able to store what they make during the day.
2022-9-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-7 04:04
Thanks DA.    Hope you are having a wonderful day.

Well I spent most of the day hackling a door door/window sensor to replace an old X10 one and just couldn't get it working reliably,   It was driving me potty and very difficult to debug the code as I kept having to open and close the door,  in the end I got to the bottom of the issue,  my code was actually running to fast so all it needed was a small delay to allow some other events to finish and boom its working nice,   I still need to code the low battery alerts but I need a low battery before I can decode that signal.  But Open/Close/Tamper are all working sweet.
2022-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-7 22:22
And maybe they can also add batteries, to be able to store what they make during the day.

One of the new solar farms is buying used electric car batteries that work great for storage even though they are not up to par for use in the EV cars anymore.  So at least that helps to minimize more electronic waste and is a good repurpose use.  
2022-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-8 00:32
Well I spent most of the day hackling a door door/window sensor to replace an old X10 one and just couldn't get it working reliably,   It was driving me potty and very difficult to debug the code as I kept having to open and close the door,  in the end I got to the bottom of the issue,  my code was actually running to fast so all it needed was a small delay to allow some other events to finish and boom its working nice,   I still need to code the low battery alerts but I need a low battery before I can decode that signal.  But Open/Close/Tamper are all working sweet.

Your DIY talents never cease to amaze me.  I'm glad you got it working.  
2022-9-8
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232844 ft
United States

Ha, miscreants. Thanks for sharing this interesting shot.
2022-9-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-8 09:56
One of the new solar farms is buying used electric car batteries that work great for storage even though they are not up to par for use in the EV cars anymore.  So at least that helps to minimize more electronic waste and is a good repurpose use.

That is actually a smart idea!
2022-9-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-8 10:13
Your DIY talents never cease to amaze me.  I'm glad you got it working.

Just a bit of software development really,  I already wrote the main code that listens for the devices and processes the packets they send I just needed to add another device to it. It serves to processes,  one if the alarm system, and when the alarm is not active then it triggers the lights in the workshop to come on or go off as you leave.  
2022-9-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AeroNW Posted at 9-8 20:29
Ha, miscreants. Thanks for sharing this interesting shot.

Thanks AeroNW.  
2022-9-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

DAFlys Posted at 9-6 01:14
thank you DJI Paladin.   Appreciate the comment.

You are always welcome, David. Have a nice day ahead!
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-8 23:22
That is actually a smart idea!

Guess we will have to see how that works out over the next 5-10 years, which is supposedly how much longer the used car batteries are supposed to last.  
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-9 01:15
Just a bit of software development really,  I already wrote the main code that listens for the devices and processes the packets they send I just needed to add another device to it. It serves to processes,  one if the alarm system, and when the alarm is not active then it triggers the lights in the workshop to come on or go off as you leave.

Must be nice to know all that coding.  I am quite knowledgeable about US Codes and legal precedents but have zero knowledge about software coding.  
2022-9-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 03:39
Must be nice to know all that coding.  I am quite knowledgeable about US Codes and legal precedents but have zero knowledge about software coding.

Im sure that the US legal system knowledge comes in very useful though too.
2022-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 03:21
Guess we will have to see how that works out over the next 5-10 years, which is supposedly how much longer the used car batteries are supposed to last.

Yeah, nobody knows for sure.
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-9 03:47
Im sure that the US legal system knowledge comes in very useful though too.

On occasion it has come in quite handy.  No doubt about that.  
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-9 03:50
Yeah, nobody knows for sure.

Yeah, those batteries have not been around long enough so now it will just be a longevity test to see if their inclinations to use them will pay off.
2022-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 04:15
Yeah, those batteries have not been around long enough so now it will just be a longevity test to see if their inclinations to use them will pay off.

One more question to find the answer to.
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-9 04:33
One more question to find the answer to.

Very true.  
2022-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is usually like that with science and 'new' tech.
2022-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules