ND Filter or ND/PL Filter?
5894 7 2022-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MDKhairul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1619301 ft
Bangladesh

Hi, I'm about to purchase the sunnylife filters for my Dji Mini 2.
Now I've noticed there are ND/PL filters (Such as, ND16/PL). The PL ones need to be adjusted according to the light angle and stuff.. The ND filter, just put whichever looks balanced on 1/50 shutter.
So my question to the users is, how much hassle would I face if I get the ND/PL ones? I mean how complex it is to play with the polarization? or should I just buy the ND ones with no PL?
Please advise

2022-9-5
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Exactly because a polarizer needs to be adjusted to the angle to the sun, I myself decided for the standard Freewell ND filters for my Mini3.

For my taste the use of polarizers for a drone is too limited because of above reason.

PS: If you have often the need to reduce reflections, than your opinion might vary.

2022-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

For a drone, I never use ND filters anymore.
Too much hassle and you never have 'the right one' on because of quickly changing light conditions when you are flying.
But that might change if I ever need to make a 'serious' drone video.
2022-9-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Personally Im holding out for the Freewell VND's,.  they are rotatable to adjust how much you need.    B&H have started pre orders already for them so hopefully they will come soon.
2022-9-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MDKhairul. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The ND/PL filters includes a Polarizer in the same filter, while the ND is just that a neutral density filter only. In addition, ND filters reduce the amount of light coming into the sensor, giving you more control of the camera's aperture, exposure time, and sensor sensitivity settings. Thank you.
2022-9-7
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I use both the standard ND and the ND/PL I to was concerned about adjusting them but the default on the superb Freewell filters Match the marking for the best general results. Is almost always where you would want the polarisation when in the sky, assuming it’s the sky you want to look good.

Can’t say other brands are as good but the Freewell ones are excellent, I have many many years of experience with the best known brands (heliopan and pro tiffen) and the Freewell ones far exceed my expectations.

I also like the fact the new ND/PL ones are plastic interference fit so don’t scratch up your gimbal and are super easy to install.
2022-9-7
Use props
PeterKiss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 262749 ft
Slovakia

I recently got a K&F Concept pack of 6 filters, ND8/16/32/64, CPL, UV. They are simillar to Freewell, quallity looks good (K&F makes filters for DSLR and other cameras for years), and they cost a little less than Freewell all day pack. The thing I like about this specific pack is that when I have gimbal calibrated to filters, and do not need ND for shoot, I simply use UV so the weight for the gimbal is same with/without ND, and it does not need to be calibrated again.

One thing to consider about CPL is that when you change your direction according to the sun, the PL effect changes as well. In cloudy days it is not a problem, but when the sky is clear blue, you can notice slight change in its color as you fly in different directions.
2022-9-8
Use props
djiuser_i8O4TWpula6S
New
Israel

PeterKiss Posted at 2022-9-8 00:15
I recently got a K&F Concept pack of 6 filters, ND8/16/32/64, CPL, UV. They are simillar to Freewell, quallity looks good (K&F makes filters for DSLR and other cameras for years), and they cost a little less than Freewell all day pack. The thing I like about this specific pack is that when I have gimbal calibrated to filters, and do not need ND for shoot, I simply use UV so the weight for the gimbal is same with/without ND, and it does not need to be calibrated again.

One thing to consider about CPL is that when you change your direction according to the sun, the PL effect changes as well. In cloudy days it is not a problem, but when the sky is clear blue, you can notice slight change in its color as you fly in different directions.

Thank you very much for the valuable information
2-8 12:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules