Recommendation to DJI for Avata Designer
1649 29 2022-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6367095a
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Dear DJI, I have a suggestion for the person(s) who are responsible for the design of the onboard SD card slot and USB C port locations on the Avata.

Fire them.

Thank you.
2022-9-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

...and where would you put it instead?
2022-9-5
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-5 16:04
...and where would you put it instead?

Someplace else.  Like where you can get to it.  
And if the response to that is, "There is no place else".  My response would be, then the overall design is flawed.

DJI is so much better than this.   It's outstanding aside from this.  Well, that and the Goggles 2 are a little uncomfortable on the nose.

And I really can't see myself discussing this anymore with anyone who would defend this as a design decision.  I'm not saying that you are, but could be I guess.

2022-9-5
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

PBusardo Posted at 9-5 16:46
And if the response to that is, "There is no place else".  My response would be, then the overall design is flawed.

Agree! Someone told me that if this is bother me i do not like Avata enough - No I like it enough to purchase it but can not help it see the flow
2022-9-5
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

PBusardo Posted at 9-5 16:46

That's because maybe you are not familiar with FPV drones and the FPV market.

DJI don't just sell drones, they also sell FPV "Air Unit" - basically the internals for the camera and video transmission to install in other FPV drones built by FPV pilots or other manufacturers.   And DJI's digital system is now the standard for digital system in most FPV drones.  And you can see in most of the FPV videos posted with non-DJI FPV drones, the pilots however use DJI Goggles.

So basically Avata is DJI's newest Air Unit installed into a DJI frame and motors.
Unlike drones such as Mavic or Mini series, where internals are designed specifically for that particular drone, and therefore fully customized to the drone external design,  Avata has to be designed around the central Air Unit.

If you look at the internals in the photo below, the air unit is the square shape at the center installed diagonally.   And the port and the microSD card has to be within the air unit in the center.

Even if you were invited into the design team, the final conclusion would still be "there is no place else" to put them.
Avata-AirUnit-s.png
2022-9-5
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

And this is DJI's current Air Unit.   The new Air Unit based on Avata's system and Goggle 2 is expected to be available later.

2022-9-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

2022-9-6
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

nosnoop Posted at 9-5 21:27

DJI don't just sell drones, they also sell FPV "Air Unit" - basically the internals for the camera and video transmission to install in other FPV drones built by FPV pilots or other manufacturers.   And DJI's digital system is now the standard for digital system in most FPV drones.  And you can see in most of the FPV videos posted with non-DJI FPV drones, the pilots however use DJI Goggles.

"That's because maybe you are not familiar with FPV drones and the FPV market."

But wait a second.  Isn't the Avata being touted as a great way to get into FPV?  A good beginner FPV drone with an intuitive motion controller?

Doesn't that very philosophy negate what you are saying?

Who cares if I'm familiar with FPV drones.  Who cares if I understand the current Air Unit.  

Whether or not I understand any of this, if I'm a first time drone buyer with zero knowledge of what you are talking about, I'm going to look at this as a poor design decision and a wildly inconvenient method to access my recordings.

If it was being marketed as an expert level FPV drone that should only be purchased by experienced FPV pilots, I could potentially agree with you.
2022-9-6
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been in the tech world for a long time, so I understand design tradeoffs and what you are saying.  However, it still really sucks!
2022-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It is in a tricky spot thats for sure, but I’m not sure there was a better place for it. Micro sd cards are extremely tedious to use in a lot of tech equipment they are notorious for springing out difficult to put in etc. the Mini 3 Pro sd card is incredibly difficult to put in , so it’s likely there will never be a good spot to have an sd slot and my guess is designers are up against it as to where it needs to be rather than how convenient it is. Many if not all dji drones sd card slots you will always find some have difficulty with the sd. Slots and once you get the hang of it its fine. I don’t think anyone should be sacked these drones are a great testament to all designers IMO.
2022-9-6
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Canada

PBusardo Posted at 9-6 07:20
"That's because maybe you are not familiar with FPV drones and the FPV market."

But wait a second.  Isn't the Avata being touted as a great way to get into FPV?  A good beginner FPV drone with an intuitive motion controller?

Sure, you don't need to be familiar with all those, and that's why I tried to explain to you.

But you proposed to have the design team fired.   I am explaining that they don't have much alternative.
Yes, it is in an inconvenient spot, but the design of the Avata was constrained by the requirement that the central Air Unit need to be sold as an individual device.  

It's going to be listed as one of "cons" for most Avata reviews.  But DJI knew that this would be the case.
2022-9-6
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

Just add wifi module like on mini 3 pro...problem solved or the ability to transfer through goggles.
2022-9-7
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-7 22:04
Just add wifi module like on mini 3 pro...problem solved or the ability to transfer through goggles.

Was hoping that there was another way to pull files off the drone wirelessly without having to access that compartment.

Is there ANY other way without having to add the module to pull the files off wirelessly?   This would certainly ease the pain.

BTW - I'm not familiar with the module and thank you for the suggestion.  However, adding additional components and expense to something that has already cost me well over $1000 for a common task is a tough pill to swallow.

I understand the importance in design of making a common activity as easy as possible.  Makes living with the product so much more enjoyable.  This is a disaster of design, especially knowing you have to pull that card or attach a cable every time you want the files off the quad.

There would be a little relief if they were quick release props like on the Mavic, giving you easier access to the compartment, but no.

Maybe even a little relief if DJI acknowledged this issue and included a USB cable with a small angled head designed for that tight space, but again, no.

2022-9-8
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PBusardo Posted at 9-8 08:36
Was hoping that there was another way to pull files off the drone wirelessly without having to access that compartment.

Is there ANY other way without having to add the module to pull the files off wirelessly?   This would certainly ease the pain.

it's 2022 going on 2023 i think manufacturers are leaning towards you figure it out rather than we hand everything to you in a box.  everybody is different and have different needs and the internet is a resource for everyone and practically anyone can utilize it to their benefit so the thinking is keep costs down and let the customer figure it out for themselves (easy).  a special angled head usb cable that costs $1 more could easily cost dji another $1+ million....for what?  most customers will probably never bother to even hook it up.  it's take 72 hours and $10 or whatever to get one for yourself if you want one, right?

it's already hard enough to keep avatas drones shipping without having to worry about keeping in stock and including a special part in the box which doesn't belong there.  i know im in the minority but i'm already leaning toward why is there even a cable in the box to begin with?
2022-9-8
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

That location is fine with me; a bit tight but functional. At least it doesn't hurt my nose; fix the fakin faceplate first please.
2022-9-8
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

PBusardo Posted at 9-8 08:36

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that DJI should add a wifi module if they are redesigning the drone if they want to keep the sd card where it is.
2022-9-8
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

I don't have my Avata yet, but I expect to hate that SD card location, and have trouble with it. I suspect that if you have very small fingers, or claws, that it's not a problem. But my stubby chubby fingers are neither of those things. I'll see when I get it...  TCS
2022-9-9
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

Sure there's somewhere better to put it. Since I don't have mine yet, I can't really make a suggestion, but when I get it and get frustrated with the location enough times, I will.

All design decisions involve trade-offs. My guess is that putting the ports in a conveniently accessible location, which I care about, was traded away in favor of some other things that I don't care about.

I don't like the location of the ports on the DJI FPV, never mind what appears to be the case with the Avata.

I may end up using tweezers, or some other artificial appendage, to get the job done, but I won't know until I get it.

TCS
2022-9-9
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-8 12:11
Sorry for the confusion, I meant that DJI should add a wifi module if they are redesigning the drone if they want to keep the sd card where it is.

Understood.
2022-9-9
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 9-8 11:12
That location is fine with me; a bit tight but functional. At least it doesn't hurt my nose; fix the fakin faceplate first please.

It is functional, just a total inconvenient and frustrating drag every time it needs to be accessed.

You too on the nose piece huh?  I'm sure third part solutions will be available soon enough.
If you see any, please do let me know.  I'll post here as well should I run across any.

Thanks!
2022-9-9
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-8 09:07
it's 2022 going on 2023 i think manufacturers are leaning towards you figure it out rather than we hand everything to you in a box.  everybody is different and have different needs and the internet is a resource for everyone and practically anyone can utilize it to their benefit so the thinking is keep costs down and let the customer figure it out for themselves (easy).  a special angled head usb cable that costs $1 more could easily cost dji another $1+ million....for what?  most customers will probably never bother to even hook it up.  it's take 72 hours and $10 or whatever to get one for yourself if you want one, right?

it's already hard enough to keep avatas drones shipping without having to worry about keeping in stock and including a special part in the box which doesn't belong there.  i know im in the minority but i'm already leaning toward why is there even a cable in the box to begin with?

But again, since this is being touted as something that's perfect for beginners, things like this need to be addressed. You don't want to frustrate a beginner, but rather give them a positive and smooth experience to keep them coming back.
"Figure it out" is not a good experience or philosophy for a beginner.
2022-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

PBusardo Posted at 9-9 10:30
But again, since this is being touted as something that's perfect for beginners, things like this need to be addressed. You don't want to frustrate a beginner, but rather give them a positive and smooth experience to keep them coming back.

I think its fairly clear from what I see and what I hear beginners are having an absolute ball with this drone , you see people or at least most are equipped with something called savvy and adapting to something so trivial in bigger scheme of things won’t stop them from enjoying themselves. And to be sure the matter will most likely be improved in future iterations of this drone. But don’t let it spoil your enjoyment of r what is truly a great piece of technology kit.
2022-9-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PBusardo Posted at 9-9 10:30

agree with hallmark, if the beginner doesn't get everything they want in the first round, at least they are happy with the majority or 95% which is huge in the fpv world.  if you wanted to get into fpv but you were put off by the "fpv" basics, now you have it and port locations are not a deal-breaker.  this drone is for the fpv beginner, not the beginner to electronics or someone new to the world in general.  im pretty sure most beginners are "flying" first and reviewing footage second.  not may people are like me who saves every file after every flight and in fact, records every second of each flight (auto record) and uploads tons of files to a synology nas.  the card is not impossible to get to, it could be worse.  understood the complaints, we'll do better next time. . if you want to review everything, record to googles should be sufficient.
2022-9-9
Use props
Lucas626
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy a 90 degree adapter, problem solved!
2022-9-10
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just like the Geprc Cinelog35. The Vista is only fully accessible by unscrewing 4 bolts from the underside of the quad. The USB-C port is more or less the same and a pain to access. Design is design though. Have to work with how it is. At least it has a protective flap over it to stop dirt and stuff from getting in it.
2022-9-11
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Lucas626 Posted at 9-10 13:53
Buy a 90 degree adapter, problem solved!

As stated above:

"Maybe even a little relief if DJI acknowledged this issue and included a USB cable with a small angled head designed for that tight space, but again, no."

Sure, this would solve the problem.  Well, kinda.  Still a pain in the ass to access, connect, not to mention remove and replace the card.

And after spending $1200, having to make another purchase to make it more usable is a frustration point.

It's not the money, it's principle.
2022-9-11
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 9-11 07:23
Just like the Geprc Cinelog35. The Vista is only fully accessible by unscrewing 4 bolts from the underside of the quad. The USB-C port is more or less the same and a pain to access. Design is design though. Have to work with how it is. At least it has a protective flap over it to stop dirt and stuff from getting in it.

Or you can look at that protective flap as something that could potentially pop out, wrecking your blades and bringing your drone down.

And why compare this to anything else?  Why accept a poor design because someone else has a poor design?
2022-9-11
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Let me say this.  Although I don't agree with some of the comments here, my compliments to everyone.
We have all been fair and hopefully civil to each other.  Wished more of the world was like that even when we don't agree.

I love the drone.  I will continue to love the drone.  

But I will not accept an obvious poor design decision when it affects a common task when using the device and my overall enjoyment of the device when performing that task.

You KNOW there was someone in that room that said, "Uh guys, this is a bad idea."
Although maybe not in China, I know how things work over there if a boss thinks something is a good idea.

I will continue to point this out, and hopefully so will others so DJI can avoid such mistakes in the future especially when our money is concerned.

Thanks everyone and keep flying!
2022-9-11
Use props
Lucas626
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

PBusardo Posted at 9-11 09:42
As stated above:

"Maybe even a little relief if DJI acknowledged this issue and included a USB cable with a small angled head designed for that tight space, but again, no."

Sounds like it's the money.  Dont you buy any other accessories for it?
2022-9-11
Use props
PBusardo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Lucas626 Posted at 9-11 17:14
Sounds like it's the money.  Dont you buy any other accessories for it?

It's the money?  For a $6 adapter.  I think no.  
And yes, so far I've purchased a case, a battery clip for the goggles, and currently trying to find a shorter power cord for the goggles.

Oh, and an angled USB C adapter. ;-)
2022-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules