Lens zoom control not working
2895 11 2022-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sharpeleven
lvl.1
Switzerland

I have just updated my 4D to the lates firmware and tested the new Zoom function with my Sony E 18-105. Zoom control is not working correctly. I can see and select the mm number in the lower right corner, but there is no way to change it (from the wheel or any button-combination I've tried). Please let me know if you know weather this feature is supposed to work already or when it is planed to fully implement it. Thanks a bunch!
2022-9-6
Use props
djiuser_02BWepWKosTP
lvl.1

United States

I'm having the same issues with a Sony 16-35mm lens. If I adjust the focal length manually on the lens, and then go to the playback menu, and then back out, the camera will actually adjust the focal length back to 24mm! So it has the ability to adjust the focal length, I just can't adjust it with the hand grip wheel. I don't know, this is really frustrating
2022-9-6
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_02BWepWKosTP Posted at 9-6 06:50
I'm having the same issues with a Sony 16-35mm lens. If I adjust the focal length manually on the lens, and then go to the playback menu, and then back out, the camera will actually adjust the focal length back to 24mm! So it has the ability to adjust the focal length, I just can't adjust it with the hand grip wheel. I don't know, this is really frustrating
@sharpeleven I have the same lens as you and hoped for the same level of control, but I'm not sure it's anything DJI have promised. I could be very wrong but my reading of the new zoom function you mention is an ability to 'punch in' on the monitor for more accurate manual focus. Whereas I believe you're expecting the equivalent of a telephoto/wide rocker. I initially expected the same even before the firmware update and believe DJI should have inserted a warning in their Lens Compatibility List to the effect that Sony's power zoom function can't be controlled from the camera (yet, if this is planned). Especially since you will know as well as I do that the 18-105's zoom switch is pretty much inaccessible on the 4D. So for now I simply regard the lens as infinitely variable fixed focal lengths, effectively about 27-148mm since it is Super35, unless or until DJI decide to pacify me. I'm no engineer but, as djiuser implies, zoom control seems like something that should be possible.
2022-9-6
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_02BWepWKosTP Posted at 9-6 06:50

I did some experimenting and found under Menu>Stabilizer>Joystick that the left handle joystick can be configured so that up, down, left or right either pan, tilt or roll the camera module but the top handle joystick can do any of the above AND zoom. I'll add right away that it didn't work for my 18-105 Sony but there's every chance that I've changed something else that stops it working. If you haven't already done so, try it with your lens. If it doesn't work for any of us, at least the menu option shows intent.
2022-9-6
Use props
sharpeleven
lvl.1
Switzerland

TooDeep Posted at 9-6 09:09
@sharpeleven I have the same lens as you and hoped for the same level of control, but I'm not sure it's anything DJI have promised. I could be very wrong but my reading of the new zoom function you mention is an ability to 'punch in' on the monitor for more accurate manual focus. Whereas I believe you're expecting the equivalent of a telephoto/wide rocker. I initially expected the same even before the firmware update and believe DJI should have inserted a warning in their Lens Compatibility List to the effect that Sony's power zoom function can't be controlled from the camera (yet, if this is planned). Especially since you will know as well as I do that the 18-105's zoom switch is pretty much inaccessible on the 4D. So for now I simply regard the lens as infinitely variable fixed focal lengths, effectively about 27-148mm since it is Super35, unless or until DJI decide to pacify me. I'm no engineer but, as djiuser implies, zoom control seems like something that should be possible.

Thanks for your repies, guys! Good to know I'm not alone.

Is there actually somebody who managed to zoom any lens at all at this point?

@TooDeep:

It definitely looks like a new feature of the latest firmware and it is supposed to work, as can be witnessed at this point in this video (chineese):
https://youtu.be/PJkeenl30Yc?t=142

I can recreate all steps incl. any visual UI feedback as in the video, it's just that the lens won't actually zoom and the wheel-knob will force it's way back into the original position once released. Weird... maybe just a sloppy firmware job.

I will give your suggestion with the handle-zoom a try later today and report back.

2022-9-7
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

sharpeleven Posted at 9-7 01:11
Thanks for your repies, guys! Good to know I'm not alone.

Is there actually somebody who managed to zoom any lens at all at this point?
Interesting. Unfortunately I just get "This video is unavailable", so I can't see what is involved in enabling this zoom feature. My assumption was because I can punch in X2 or x4 to aid focus, which DJI call "Tap twice to zoom in" but maybe that was always there. I wonder could the problem be related to the lens firmware? I've never been able to update mine since I presume I need a Sony camera, but I know Sony's advice is always to do so right away. Or is there a firmware update for the E-mount?
2022-9-7
Use props
sharpeleven
lvl.1
Switzerland

TooDeep Posted at 9-7 03:31
Interesting. Unfortunately I just get "This video is unavailable", so I can't see what is involved in enabling this zoom feature. My assumption was because I can punch in X2 or x4 to aid focus, which DJI call "Tap twice to zoom in" but maybe that was always there. I wonder could the problem be related to the lens firmware? I've never been able to update mine since I presume I need a Sony camera, but I know Sony's advice is always to do so right away. Or is there a firmware update for the E-mount?

The video is still up on YouTube. It appears to be an official DJI video with someone going through all added features of the new firmware incl. some detailed close up footage.

Unfortunately it is only available in Chinese with no subtitles. I've put the Zoom-Section excerpt through Google Translator and got this output:

"The zoom lens can be matched with a flow motor to realize the zoom function on the right side. Therefore, if you need to switch the mode to the focal length for the purpose of the data, you can realize the auxiliary function by controlling the science and education motor. At this time, the standard feel will also be accompanied by a return center effect, which can achieve more accurate The zoom starts the problem of cybernetics and has built-in high precision. It can be turned on through the menu settings."

not all that helpful, but it seems to involve some kind of motor? Kinda strange that there is no further information provided anywhere...
2022-9-8
Use props
sharpeleven
lvl.1
Switzerland

So here is what we know so far:
1. Long-pressing the mode button on the right hand grip deactivates focus control and activates zoom control instead for the grip wheel, as suggested by the UI (the yellow highlight jumps to the focal length indicator).
2. Manual changes to focal length directly on an attached lens are recognised & reported correctly by the camera.
3. The Ronin 4D has the ability to change the internal zoom on some lenses - at least of the Sony 16-35mm, as reported by WepWKosTP
2022-9-8
Use props
sharpeleven
lvl.1
Switzerland

problem solved
2022-9-13
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

sharpeleven Posted at 9-13 10:19
problem solved

What happened? I admit frustration got the better of me and I've been using my 50mm for everything but the ability to zoom would be a godsend.
2022-9-13
Use props
Eponym
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

"The zoom lens can be matched with a flow motor to realize the zoom function on the right side. Therefore, if you need to switch the mode to the focal length for the purpose of the data, you can realize the auxiliary function by controlling the science and education motor."

My interpretation of this translation is that DJI updated the firmware to allow the focus assist motor to be used alternatively as zoom assist on a geared zoom ring.

02BWepWKosTP's comment about the 16-35 going back to 24mm after exiting a menu, might have to do with how that lens reacts when it's powered on. It's possible the lens will default to 24mm every time you power cycle it on any camera body...

So can anyone confirm the focus assist motors are moving when trying to adjust the focal length with the grip wheel? I might just slap a focus gear converter onto the zoom ring to get around the whole internal power zoom issue.
2022-9-15
Use props
djiuser_02BWepWKosTP
lvl.1

United States

Yea how did you solve it? I have tried using the focus motor, but I couldn't get it to work because the zoom wheel spins infinitely and apparently that causes the motor to not work.
2022-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules