DJI Goggles 2 - garbage optics? downgrade from old ones?
12Next >
11110 60 2022-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Originalas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204222 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

Does anyone else have issues with Goggles 2? I can't even see the whole screen with mines.
Basically, left and right side of the screen 'does not fit in the lens' as the edges are very blurry, distorted.
I never had similar issue on the original DJI FPV goggles. I've made a photo of the issue.

2022-9-6
Use props
Iczeman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8336266 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

Thanks a lot for comparing those two Goggles as finally nice to see it.

Considering upgrade from V2 but only if DJI FPV backward compatibility will be added and hopefully your issue visible on picture will be fixed as well.

2022-9-6
Use props
Aerorealms
lvl.2
Spain

thanks for posting this, now I can see what many users say of G2's. What a pitty...I love the form factor. Can you do the same but with a stationary image please?
2022-9-6
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

I have made a full video review of my issues with the Goggles 2. With full video how both looks from inside side by side.

2022-9-7
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

Strange, on my goggles 2 I get full screen, not cropped as you have it.
Screenshot_20220908-035426_YouTube.jpg
2022-9-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is it a wide screen setting
2022-9-7
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Message deleted
2022-9-7
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Since I also own both versions of the goggles, I can fully confirm what you said!  
I was really looking forward to the new version too...
When I have the new goggles on my head, I can only control the Avata with my right hand (i.e. the motion controller), because I need my left hand to move the goggles like this  back and forth that I can sort of see what I need to see...
If I want to use the FPV RC 2, it's just awful...
2022-9-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 9-7 22:15
Since I also own both versions of the goggles, I can fully confirm what you said!  
I was really looking forward to the new version too...
When I have the new goggles on my head, I can only control the Avata with my right hand (i.e. the motion controller), because I need my left hand to move the goggles like this  back and forth that I can sort of see what I need to see...

So if you were to advise buying one of the Bundles and al if you have a larger head would you advise buying the Fly Smart with the V2 goggles ?
2022-9-7
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-7 22:34
So if you were to advise buying one of the Bundles and al if you have a larger head would you advise buying the Fly Smart with the V2 goggles ?

... that's really hard to say!
It would be best if anyone interested could / would try it beforehand...
Otherwise the disappointment can be very big.
2022-9-7
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-7 18:51
Strange, on my goggles 2 I get full screen, not cropped as you have it.

lol, my goggles show the whole image.

I just can't get lenses adjusted so that I could see the whole screen in the Goggles 2.  

And the problem is exactly that lenses are round on the new goggles 2 not optimised for widescreen video.

2022-9-7
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

More videos popping up about the issue.

2022-9-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Originalas Posted at 9-7 23:15
lol, my goggles show the whole image.

[view_image]

But you said you couldnt see the who image now you seem to be saying you can...... Make up your mind
2022-9-8
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Basically your eyes are in the wrong position. For the blurry text moving the goggles up/down on my face fixes it for me. For the cropped picture, your eyeballs are not near enough to the lenses. I find the tighter the goggles are on my head the better. Maybe its a case that the rubber bits are too thick and holding it too far from face/eye ball. I know its not a fix, but maybe temporarily take the rubber off the goggles so its not holding it away from your face/camera to see if that is the issue.
2022-9-8
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

I think, I have explained it clearly. Lenses do not allow to see the whole screen.  

I have found now. That there is a setting to scale the screen but that does not help as it only crops the video and not actually scales the screen. The HUD and menus stay in the exact same place.. you just see less of the video with scaling.

2022-9-8
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-8 10:23
Basically your eyes are in the wrong position. For the blurry text moving the goggles up/down on my face fixes it for me. For the cropped picture, your eyeballs are not near enough to the lenses. I find the tighter the goggles are on my head the better. Maybe its a case that the rubber bits are too thick and holding it too far from face/eye ball. I know its not a fix, but maybe temporarily take the rubber off the goggles so its not holding it away from your face/camera to see if that is the issue.

Yep, if I force the goggles 2 with free hand to my face, I can see more. But pushing goggles to the face with the hand is not a way to fly FPV..

As blurry HUD is caused by the strap crushing the goggles to the face but the nose is pushing/tilting them up. So the tighter is the strap, the worse is distortion.

And I'm not even talking about comfort or health concerns forcing the goggles to the face like this. It's simply a bad design. People should not suffer to get around the problems of the bad design.. the goggles should have been designed better.

Like I have zero issues with the old DJI FPV Goggles V2. Though these Goggles 2, seems like DJI has sacrificed way to much to get the new model a bit smaller. The size gains a not worth the pain using the goggles.. this is why I'm keeping old V2 and returning Goggles 2.
2022-9-8
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Originalas Posted at 9-8 10:56
Yep, if I force the goggles 2 with free hand to my face, I can see more. But pushing goggles to the face with the hand is not a way to fly FPV..

As blurry HUD is caused by the strap crushing the goggles to the face but the nose is pushing/tilting them up. So the tighter is the strap, the worse is distortion.

So you admit, there is nothing wrong with the optics, just the fitting of the goggles on your face to get the good optics.
2022-9-8
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-8 11:13
So you admit, there is nothing wrong with the optics, just the fitting of the goggles on your face to get the good optics.

It's like buying a motorcycle for kids and telling adults to ride it with "some extra effort and workarounds, maybe after changing some parts it will be even better..."  
2022-9-8
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
United Kingdom

That is the view from my goggles, forgive the quality noise (low light) and the content as its dark outside, but its showing that it is not cropped.
2022-9-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They sound very poor to me
2022-9-8
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-8 11:40
[view_image] That is the view from my goggles, forgive the quality noise (low light) and the content as its dark outside, but its showing that it is not cropped.

Did you know that the eye has fixed focal length just like the camera lens?

I can make a picture showing the whole screen and the whole insides of the goggles with a ultrawide lens. But that does not tell anything how the screen actually looks with the eye.
2022-9-9
Use props
Aerorealms
lvl.2
Spain

so the problem it's only for people with big nose? lol
2022-9-10
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Here is Ukrainian review telling exactly the same about the issues with the goggles 2.
And he gave goggles to others to try to fit just to make sure that it's not just his face in particular.

2022-9-11
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

The good part, I have already got my refund the DJI return went really smooth.

The bad, DJI Avata without RC is out of stock till 10-22.
Or maybe it's good too. I can wait till Black Friday or Christmas sales to get it even cheaper later. Or maybe DJI will even introduce next-gen DJI Air Unit sooner.
2022-9-19
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

After using the new goggles for a little over a week, I love them! Are they as comfortable as the V2's? No, but the clarity is second to none. I'm flying in dense forests where I could not with the v2's. Wear a baseball cap backwards and do a little adjusting. Oh wait, you returned them, oh well.
2022-9-22
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Yep, same experience flying Avata in forest. There is no comparison to the old DJI FPV system. But the difference is in the DJI Avata camera/transmission, it perfectly works with the V2 goggles.
2022-9-22
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

No issues here with the "DJI Goggles 2".  You can see in this video (skip to 2:24 stamp) that I'm seeing the full screen.  I'm just waiting on the FOAM PADDING to be back in stock to make them more comfortable.  The default padding isn't the best (lets be honest about that).  Other than that..no complaints from me.  

2022-9-22
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

I can't make an honest comparison because I've never used the Goggles V2, but I can say that I can see the whole screen in my Goggles 2. I'm not sure why yours are cutting the edges off like that. Now I can say I have a significant issue with blur on the words and can't seem to fix it. If I get crisp words (the bottom portion showing the speed and all that) the center of the image goes blurred. So I just chose to have the words blurred. I'm not sure there is a fix for this except to have everyone return their goggles 2 and DJI replaces them with a new design lol, like that's going to happen LOL.
2022-9-22
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

RGMGFitness Posted at 9-22 07:30
No issues here with the "DJI Goggles 2".  You can see in this video (skip to 2:24 stamp) that I'm seeing the full screen.  I'm just waiting on the FOAM PADDING to be back in stock to make them more comfortable.  The default padding isn't the best (lets be honest about that).  Other than that..no complaints from me.  

lol, mines show the whole screen and records the same view in DVR too.

The issue is not about showing the screen.. the issue is not being able to see the whole screen because of lenses or wrong fit. I can move the goggles 2 and see the left edge or right edge of the screen.. but I can not find a possition how to fit the goggles 2 / adjust lenses so that whole screen would be in focus at once. Either I see the sides but center is blurry. Or I get perfect image in the center but I loose view on the left and rigt edge.
2022-9-22
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

FPVTrendz Posted at 9-22 09:18
I can't make an honest comparison because I've never used the Goggles V2, but I can say that I can see the whole screen in my Goggles 2. I'm not sure why yours are cutting the edges off like that. Now I can say I have a significant issue with blur on the words and can't seem to fix it. If I get crisp words (the bottom portion showing the speed and all that) the center of the image goes blurred. So I just chose to have the words blurred. I'm not sure there is a fix for this except to have everyone return their goggles 2 and DJI replaces them with a new design lol, like that's going to happen LOL.

I think, top and bottom blur may happen because goggles 2 are tilted by the nose or cheeks. Try pushing the goggles to the face and changing tilt with hand, to see how focus moves across the screen.
2022-9-22
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Originalas Posted at 9-22 11:42
I think, top and bottom blur may happen because goggles 2 are tilted by the nose or cheeks. Try pushing the goggles to the face and changing tilt with hand, to see how focus moves across the screen.

Ok...searched around I have a feeling this is 'more' what your referring too.  No fix for this currently.....

2022-9-22
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Originalas Posted at 9-22 11:42

I tried what you said and sure enough, the blur goes away, however, it begins to hurt the nose lol. So now I have a choice to make, hurt nose and clear screen or blurred edges and no pain LOL.  Thanks for that information though.
2022-9-23
Use props
elmoaaron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 424380 ft
Costa Rica

I have the same problem, the left and right side is blurry, also I paid to make the lens with my graduation and the problem keeps.  
2022-9-26
Use props
elmoaaron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 424380 ft
Costa Rica

Has someone contacted DJI about this ?
2022-9-27
Use props
fans0a8e6b36
lvl.2

United States

I had seen the videos that were posted prior to purchasing my Avata. I ended up buying the Goggles V2 instead of the Goggles 2, and I am quite happy with the purchase. Why spend an extra couple hundred bucks if the optics aren't right? And also the light leak and lack of anti-fogging for some people was even more reason for me to get the V2's instead. Sure, the Goggles 2 have slightly higher resolution and better image quality, but I would not have liked the optics on them.
2022-9-27
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

elmoaaron Posted at 9-27 18:01
Has someone contacted DJI about this ?

I have submitted the ticket that I can't get the whole screen in focus and video signal is very poor again not even going for 200 meters in Europe. And DJI did not even try to give any advice or anything.. just opened a return for a full refund.
2022-10-1
Use props
SKYREC SPAIN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 607730 ft
Spain

I have found that the problem comes when using the lens dioptres. when the optics are set to -8 dioptres, I can see the whole screen in each eye (I see everything blurry).
When I adjust the dioptre to +2, the screen is enlarged and I lose the edges in each eye.
It could be fixed by moving the glasses closer, but the bridge of the nose doesn't allow it.
I think this is a difficult problem to fix and only happens to people with dioptres.
I think I'm going to return the googles 2.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
2022-10-2
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

SKYREC SPAIN Posted at 10-2 14:46
I have found that the problem comes when using the lens dioptres. when the optics are set to -8 dioptres, I can see the whole screen in each eye (I see everything blurry).
When I adjust the dioptre to +2, the screen is enlarged and I lose the edges in each eye.
It could be fixed by moving the glasses closer, but the bridge of the nose doesn't allow it.

yep, it might explain why some people can see more of the screen.

And there is a similar thing with camera viewfinders, most of pro DSLR offer a viewfinder you can switch or adjust optics, to select wanted magnification and correction.

2022-10-8
Use props
fans9dfabd81
lvl.1
Flight distance : 130751 ft
United States

I just got them and I agree completely. The whole image is never really in view. They definitely needed wider diopters. Not sure wtf to do now.
Edit: I have had the DJI Goggles V2 for 6 months and they are super easy to use and I've never had to really adjust them much. The DJI Goggles 2 I'm annoyed with after 3 whole flights of messing with them.
2022-10-12
Use props
Shot By Steem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136745 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The DJI Goggles 2 are absolutely garbage, I'm experiencing all the issues mentioned above. I really think the Goggles 2 are optimal for Asian people who tend to have a smaller nose and face structure than Caucasians do. Additionally they do not support any other air units other than the Avata and there is absolutely not a single reason to get this over the Goggles V2.
2022-10-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules