DJI Goggles 2 - garbage optics? downgrade from old ones?
11184 60 2022-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Originalas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204222 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

I have downgraded to the V2 goggles and the image quality is good now BUT

Video and recordings are in 1440x810px now. Not 1080p.
OSD info is missing in recordings and phone output.
There are 3 DIFFERENT FIRMWARES in the Goggles now!!! Avata, DJI FPV, DJI FPV Air Unit.
Everytime you switch the drone, you need to reboot the goggles, rebind everything, EVERY BLOODY TIME!
And sometimes binding/updates just get stuck, it was impossible to bind my DJI Remote 2 to the goggles with the Avata.. until I have updated every part in DJI FPV mode and when I could bind the remote 2, just to update everything again in Avata FW mode!
This is CRAZY! And the worst user experience. DJI is a total dumpster fire with the recent product/software quality.
2022-10-12
Use props
djiuser_ZNhNguewjclP
New

United States

Shot By Steem Posted at 10-12 13:27
The DJI Goggles 2 are absolutely garbage, I'm experiencing all the issues mentioned above. I really think the Goggles 2 are optimal for Asian people who tend to have a smaller nose and face structure than Caucasians do. Additionally they do not support any other air units other than the Avata and there is absolutely not a single reason to get this over the Goggles V2.

As a asian, I can tell you that I'm also experiencing the above problem. I have tried to take off the padding completely and move the goggles a lot closer to my eyes (lens almost touch my eyes) and I can see the edge blurry is reduced greatly.

So one solution is to get a thinner padding, or a softer one. But there is none on the market. I'm even thinking about cutting down the OME goggle padding to make it thinner...
2022-10-19
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Even for me the new Googles are too uncomfortable. As soon as they are worn they cause pain in the nose. I find it unacceptable that no foam is provided for different face shapes. Furthermore, as written by other users, the optics have very serious vision problems that invalidate their use. The whole AVATA system suffers from severe construction and engineering problems
2022-10-19
Use props
Shot By Steem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136745 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_ZNhNguewjclP Posted at 10-19 00:51
As a asian, I can tell you that I'm also experiencing the above problem. I have tried to take off the padding completely and move the goggles a lot closer to my eyes (lens almost touch my eyes) and I can see the edge blurry is reduced greatly.

So one solution is to get a thinner padding, or a softer one. But there is none on the market. I'm even thinking about cutting down the OME goggle padding to make it thinner...

I'm sorry to hear so but glad you found a way to make it somehow work. I might look in to a thinner padding. Due to the blurry edges it really hard to spot the branches of trees which renders it quite useless at the moment.

Quite disappointed in DJI for all the current issues, the lack of clarification and the mod's on this forum which knowledge doesnt reach further than try deleting the DJI App or send us a video of you jumping through a burning hoop whilst juggling 5 traffic cone's, and staying quiet in topics like these.
2022-10-20
Use props
noober99
lvl.1

United States

So glad to see I'm not the only one who is having issues with the the new design. I'm a complete noob and this is my first pair that came w/ avata so was pretty upset the outer quadrant is so blurry no matter what I did to adjust.
2022-10-25
Use props
noober99
lvl.1

United States

elmoaaron Posted at 9-26 09:36
I have the same problem, the left and right side is blurry, also I paid to make the lens with my graduation and the problem keeps.

I was going to try getting the lens until seeing your post.. that's very bad news.
2022-10-25
Use props
BfromAZ
lvl.2
United States

Got my goggles yesterday. They fit my head perfectly. Big round head with a small nose. Image looks perfect. The overlay has some blurring at the edges. Im using ardupilot with an 03 air unit. The OSD displays perfect even though it has some issues and its pushed in quite a way from the edges.

After 10 years of these kind of small googles most all of them have had issues of one sort or another. Remember the dominator issues? That said... they will not be perfect for everyone.

Sharp face. big nose and small IPD is going to be an issue. Think about how IPD is going to effect how much of the screen you see clearly. Use the screen size and diopters to adjust.

Lastly... alot of us flying FPV are doing so at high speeds and we are hyper focused on the center of the screen. No time to look around. Fly center screen and ignore the small edge blur.

You all understand that you are getting twice the pixels. 2 times the resolution... A proximity flyers dream...

Good luck...
2022-12-23
Use props
BfromAZ
lvl.2
United States

Gave this issue some thought last night. Before you send them back I would take the rubber off and see how they fit and what the vision looks like. Manual describes how to do it.

A possible temporary solution. My old skyzone goggles had a horrible fit. I removed the rubber completely. I took some thin high density flat foam and built up layers till it fit my face perfectly. Razor to sculpt it. To attach the foam to itself and the goggles I used VHB tape. VHB can be removed. You want the thin VHB that comes in sheets. Easy to cut into any shape. Where there is a will there is a way. The will has to be there. Don't give up so easy.

These goggles are a marvel of technology... 2 Million pixels on an OLED screen. Simply amazing. 10 years ago I was using Dominators that could barely see a light pole.

laters From Arizona....
2022-12-24
Use props
Uberau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 554350 ft
Spain

This thread shows exactly why I replaced my goggles 2 with "old" goggles V2. Blurry screen edges, very unconfortable fit for my nose and tons of micro adjustments while trying to get on focus some parte of the HUD.
Very disappointing to me for what a pro goggles should be in terms of comfort and image quality.
2022-12-25
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

BfromAZ Posted at 12-24 05:34
Gave this issue some thought last night. Before you send them back I would take the rubber off and see how they fit and what the vision looks like. Manual describes how to do it.

A possible temporary solution. My old skyzone goggles had a horrible fit. I removed the rubber completely. I took some thin high density flat foam and built up layers till it fit my face perfectly. Razor to sculpt it. To attach the foam to itself and the goggles I used VHB tape. VHB can be removed. You want the thin VHB that comes in sheets. Easy to cut into any shape. Where there is a will there is a way. The will has to be there. Don't give up so easy.

I did try removing foam completely, it did not help. There are multiple issues with the goggles.
They should have bigger optics, bigger sweat-spot or way better head strap. It's not only how the goggles fit to the face but how the lenses are tilted and etc.
2022-12-26
Use props
BfromAZ
lvl.2
United States

I have around 20 flights on them now... I cannot emphasize how good these are. Yes there is a sweet spot. Takes me a few secs to find it and then its nirvana. Twice the resolution. Better range and penetration. For those they do not fit you can still use the v2's.

Buy them. Try them. Send them back if you don't like them.

Laters from AZ
2022-12-28
Use props
fans3eebab57
lvl.1

United States

I was ready for DJI to take my money but I had to send the Goggles 2 back. The optics were just trash for me. I'm back to the V2s.
2023-1-2
Use props
djiuser_2RGNWsosRf7v
New

Austria

I do have the same experience like you.
Blurry edges, can't fit the two pictures together in my brain. Furthermore I can not see the whole picture because the edges are cropped. Unsharp screen. Eaven with RHO lenses for 100 bucks extra it does not really become any better. I am really disappointed. The optics are really ...ty in compare to V1 and V2. Those where perfect with RHO lenses. I am really struggeling if I sell my Goggles 2 and get a V2 instead. So much wasted money for way worse user experience.
2023-2-9
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Big youtubers pooping on the goggles 2

2023-2-19
Use props
djiuser_eG0Q3LbbhXvr
lvl.1

United States

elmoaaron Posted at 2022-9-27 18:01
Has someone contacted DJI about this ?

Yup.  They say send them back.  Faulty pair.  
2023-5-1
Use props
Kepnik
lvl.1

Austria

I have the same issue sadly, I cant get them to fit without massive distortions and blurry edges... and I already expected that, didnt think it is a big issue to have blurry adges for the bigger fov... but for me its impossible to wear them, makes my head spin after 10 minutes. Also the system to find the correct ipd is a mess, to move every lens seperate ? with no adjustment counter ? I know my ipd (60) but its impossible to find it perfectly on this device :-/  

Does anyone meanwhile have found a fix for them ? I will try maybe another padding, but I think I will have to return them.
I was thinking about ordering the integra or another pair of the goggles 2 to see if mine are faulty ? What do you guys think ?
Will it not get better or worth a try ?

I used already 3 vr goggles and never had any issue with them, reallly sad...
And for everybody who is so thrilled about the optics of the goggles 2... please, try the meta quest 3 with 116degress of fov high end lenses ;-)
But still the picture is really nice in the area where it works...

Thanks for any advice !
kind regards from Austria :-)
2-23 00:45
Use props
Kepnik
lvl.1

Austria

Kepnik Posted at 2-23 00:45
I have the same issue sadly, I cant get them to fit without massive distortions and blurry edges... and I already expected that, didnt think it is a big issue to have blurry adges for the bigger fov... but for me its impossible to wear them, makes my head spin after 10 minutes. Also the system to find the correct ipd is a mess, to move every lens seperate ? with no adjustment counter ? I know my ipd (60) but its impossible to find it perfectly on this device :-/  

Does anyone meanwhile have found a fix for them ? I will try maybe another padding, but I think I will have to return them.

So my friends, after another weekend and some playing with the goggles, the tide has turned for me.

I can state 3 things :
1.) the optics are really bad in comparison to oculus or meta quest... its just amazing that still such lenses are built, bin as far as I know in FPV there is nothing comparable to a quest 3 or even quest 1.

2.) the problem of the goggles 2 is the tiny tiny sweet spot, when you are able to hit it, the optics are great and you can use at least 95% of the 51 degrees sharp with amazing quality. It helps A LOT if you are able to get closer to the lenses. Without the face mask I have a perfect sharp rectangle with no vignette. I will build my own face mask

3.)
Additionally the goggles look very bad in the menu, dont know why, when you are flying, it gets a LOT better

So I am happy now, I accepted and also knew when buying that the fpv goggles cant compare to what VR goggles nowadays can do... but it is still an amazing way of flying.
2-25 11:21
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Kepnik Posted at 2-25 11:21
So my friends, after another weekend and some playing with the goggles, the tide has turned for me.

I can state 3 things :

We should petition DJI to allow the Fly app on Quest type of headsets. I agree 100% even budget Quest headset leaves anything from DJI in the dust..

If anyone still has any doubts about the video quality, good lenses and good headset design. Just try the cheapest Quest 3 / Pico 4 and you will blown away with the difference. How much every goggles for FPV not only from DJI are way outdated and overpriced.
3-19 04:08
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Originalas Posted at 3-19 04:08
We should petition DJI to allow the Fly app on Quest type of headsets. I agree 100% even budget Quest headset leaves anything from DJI in the dust..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnFbfzc0w64

I understand your frustration with the issues you're experiencing. Currently DJI Fly app cannot be used on third-party products because we haven't tested its functionality on those devices. However, your feedback is incredibly valuable to us, and expressing your needs and desires as a consumer can contribute to shaping future products and features. Thank you for sharing your perspective, and please know that DJI takes such feedback into consideration for future updates and releases.
3-19 14:05
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

DJI Diana Posted at 3-19 14:05
I understand your frustration with the issues you're experiencing. Currently DJI Fly app cannot be used on third-party products because we haven't tested its functionality on those devices. However, your feedback is incredibly valuable to us, and expressing your needs and desires as a consumer can contribute to shaping future products and features. Thank you for sharing your perspective, and please know that DJI takes such feedback into consideration for future updates and releases.

This is not a third party product.. just like smartphones we use to view the camera.

But I see the trend of DJI pushing even smartphones away with the new products and locking users to same outdated, inferior remotes and goggles...
3-20 23:19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Originalas Posted at 3-20 23:19
This is not a third party product.. just like smartphones we use to view the camera.

But I see the trend of DJI pushing even smartphones away with the new products and locking users to same outdated, inferior remotes and goggles...

Thank you for responding. Your feedback and suggestions are valuable to us, and we will make sure to pass them on to the relevant team for further assessment and to enhance our products and services. Please stay tuned for updates on our official website. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
3-21 14:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules