Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini 2 and New RC roadmap
1143 6 2022-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2789 ft
Thailand

Hi,
Been looking through the vaious threads and have not stumbled across any answers or projected plans.

The new RC was announced a few months back and saw supported Mini 3 pro, Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine. It was commented that firmware would be released to add support for the Mini 2. If truly the case, is there any projection for when this may become available for release?

The RC231 is "OK" but the added time overhead cuts into some usage opportunities. The discontinued Smart Controller was an expensive option and now challenging to track down at a reasonable pricepont and condition.  

Hoping to get some encouraging news sooner than later...  
2022-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I did quite an extensive search of the forums and I couldn't find an official statement from a DJI Admin or Mod stating that the RC would ever support the Mini 2.  I personally hope that DJI makes the RC compatible with the Mini 2 and the Air 2S but only time will tell what their official plans are.   We can hope for the best.  

By the way I tend to prefer the RC Pro over the RC as it is a much more functional controller, albeit much more expensive than the RC.   
2022-9-8
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-8 12:48
I did quite an extensive search of the forums and I couldn't find an official statement from a DJI Admin or Mod stating that the RC would ever support the Mini 2.  I personally hope that DJI makes the RC compatible with the Mini 2 and the Air 2S but only time will tell what their official plans are.   We can hope for the best.  

By the way I tend to prefer the RC Pro over the RC as it is a much more functional controller, albeit much more expensive than the RC.

Ha! will show my laziness and ignorance toward how DJI is developing code for these drones. Short of researching components embedded and limitations, my "why not?" thinking is a shallow opinion. Since the controllers show a range of backward compatibilities, seems apparent that staffing is tasked with coding higher value capabilities vs. extending across their drone cost range, omitting the Mini 2. From the outside, seems straightforward to write and test but this is likely my ignorant assumption

As you commented RC Pro vs. RC. Indeed, a lot more functional and capable. I only wince at the ~3x price point since IC price I doubt has the same 3x scaled cost factor.      
2022-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-8 16:43
Ha! will show my laziness and ignorance toward how DJI is developing code for these drones. Short of researching components embedded and limitations, my "why not?" thinking is a shallow opinion. Since the controllers show a range of backward compatibilities, seems apparent that staffing is tasked with coding higher value capabilities vs. extending across their drone cost range, omitting the Mini 2. From the outside, seems straightforward to write and test but this is likely my ignorant assumption  

As you commented RC Pro vs. RC. Indeed, a lot more functional and capable. I only wince at the ~3x price point since IC price I doubt has the same 3x scaled cost factor.

Corporate strategy is 99% based on profits.  So what is best for the consumer is not what is always best for the corporations bottom line.  From a marketing point of view it is all about getting the consumer to upgrade.  So they don't want the Mini 2 to have the same capabilities as the Mavic 3 or there would be not need to purchase the more expensive flagship drone.  
2022-9-9
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 02:18
Corporate strategy is 99% based on profits.  So what is best for the consumer is not what is always best for the corporations bottom line.  From a marketing point of view it is all about getting the consumer to upgrade.  So they don't want the Mini 2 to have the same capabilities as the Mavic 3 or there would be not need to purchase the more expensive flagship drone.

It is interesting to sit back and ponder corporate product strategies. If considering the "gateway" lower cost products such as the Mini's, the revenue from unit sales and associated gross margins + customer satisfaction leading to upgrades within the product line needs to be respected. However, not knowing their books as to how this is ranked for revenue stream, can only speculate the weight of these products in their bigger financial picture. As a consumer, have been please with the Mini as a product and plan to stay loyal to DJI. The upgrade path for me is based on camera/video optics and communications stability. As for DJI's business model, it's not to say I buy into their MARCOM methods and prefer more detailed product information and "transparency". Can't say across the spectrum of consumer electronics that there are many good players in this regard.         
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-9 03:17
It is interesting to sit back and ponder corporate product strategies. If considering the "gateway" lower cost products such as the Mini's, the revenue from unit sales and associated gross margins + customer satisfaction leading to upgrades within the product line needs to be respected. However, not knowing their books as to how this is ranked for revenue stream, can only speculate the weight of these products in their bigger financial picture. As a consumer, have been please with the Mini as a product and plan to stay loyal to DJI. The upgrade path for me is based on camera/video optics and communications stability. As for DJI's business model, it's not to say I buy into their MARCOM methods and prefer more detailed product information and "transparency". Can't say across the spectrum of consumer electronics that there are many good players in this regard.

You make some great points.  
2022-9-9
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 03:50
You make some great points.

Haha... unfortunately, tied to old work experiences
2022-9-9
Use props