919 20 2022-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2789 ft
Thailand

Hi,
Been looking through the vaious threads and have not stumbled across any answers or projected plans.

The new RC was announced a few months back and saw supported Mini 3 pro, Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine. It was commented that firmware would be released to add support for the Mini 2. If truly the case, is there any projection for when this may become available for release?

The RC231 is "OK" but the added time overhead cuts into some usage opportunities. The discontinued Smart Controller was an expensive option and now challenging to track down at a reasonable pricepont and condition.  

Hoping to get some encouraging news sooner than later...  

2022-9-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive not seen any official word that Mini 2 support will be added but there are a lot of us that would love them to, so we can keep the mini 2 as our backup drone and not have to carry to remotes.  
2022-9-8
Use props
FabioV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

There are several posts about this topic, also related to Air 2s and other models … I just think that DJI, as many vendors do, does not want to disclose the roadmap of the updates. In my opinion, if there is any chance for additional drones to supported by the DJI RC, the Mini 2 is not at the first place.
2022-9-8
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

FabioV Posted at 9-8 01:18
There are several posts about this topic, also related to Air 2s and other models … I just think that DJI, as many vendors do, does not want to disclose the roadmap of the updates. In my opinion, if there is any chance for additional drones to supported by the DJI RC, the Mini 2 is not at the first place.

Yes, would agree the Mini 2 is not a priority compared to their high-end drones. Best I can do is hope
2022-9-8
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DAFlys Posted at 9-8 01:16
Ive not seen any official word that Mini 2 support will be added but there are a lot of us that would love them to, so we can keep the mini 2 as our backup drone and not have to carry to remotes.

This is also part of my thinking. Would like to have one better controller than the stock RC231. Nice to have a controller for the prime and backup drone! If not... then the Smart Controller or the RC Pro are the only options but close to 3x more for price.   
2022-9-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-8 02:07
This is also part of my thinking. Would like to have one better controller than the stock RC231. Nice to have a controller for the prime and backup drone! If not... then the Smart Controller or the RC Pro are the only options but close to 3x more for price.

I have a smart controller but the added weight is a bit of downer,  it would be much nicer to just carry one remote.
2022-9-8
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DAFlys Posted at 9-8 02:08
I have a smart controller but the added weight is a bit of downer,  it would be much nicer to just carry one remote.

One of these? Have not compared the weights for each unit. Extra heft would be a downer. Mostly, don't like tying up the iPhone in the controller mounting to use... call me lazy ;-)
2022-9-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-8 02:24
One of these? Have not compared the weights for each unit. Extra heft would be a downer. Mostly, don't like tying up the iPhone in the controller mounting to use... call me lazy ;-) [view_image]

Yes one of those,   its 630grams and it certainly feels much heavier than the DJI RC.
2022-9-8
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DAFlys Posted at 9-8 04:09
Yes one of those,   its 630grams and it certainly feels much heavier than the DJI RC.

I suppose it functions as a type of cross-fitness training. ;-) Some times schlepping hardware around is OK and other times a burden. Likely will bite the bullet for a Mavic 3 + RC and leverage the Hasselblad sensor. If DJI releases a compatibility firmware for the Mini 2, bonus points. My hope was to just get an RC sooner and a new drone ~end of year.     
2022-9-8
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

I'm hardly a DJI expert, but it looks like all the drones supported by the new controller use Ocusync 3, where the Mini 2 uses the older Ocusync 2 ?  I wonder if the new controller is backwards compatible ?

I can't justify that expense, but sure wish I could - beyond the screen brightness the convenience of not requiring a seperate mobile device (and setting it up) must be very nice.  But that's a first world problem for me - my iPad Mini 5 works quite well with the standard controller.

2022-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-8 02:24
One of these? Have not compared the weights for each unit. Extra heft would be a downer. Mostly, don't like tying up the iPhone in the controller mounting to use... call me lazy ;-) [view_image]

It is much heavier but it gives better options than the RC.  RC Pro has HDMI out, 1000 Nits vice 700 and also you can install 3rd party Apps on it like UAV Forecast.  Personally, I get a stronger signal connection and better range using the RC Pro over the RC.  Could be that the external antennas outperform the internal antennas on the RC.  Just my opinion.  
2022-9-8
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

TomKatt Posted at 9-8 09:05
I'm hardly a DJI expert, but it looks like all the drones supported by the new controller use Ocusync 3, where the Mini 2 uses the older Ocusync 2 ?  I wonder if the new controller is backwards compatible ?

I can't justify that expense, but sure wish I could - beyond the screen brightness the convenience of not requiring a seperate mobile device (and setting it up) must be very nice.  But that's a first world problem for me - my iPad Mini 5 works quite well with the standard controller.

Hi Tom, now that's a solution I did not consider to use an iPad mini (not sure why). Also, you make a great point regarding backward compatibility... have read "yes, backward compatible with Ocusync 2.0" in the forum and considered it possible via what tech I know. However, it's not clear for any performance or range caveats; not well documented. Your comment about issues with First World Problem resonates for sure. There are times I feel a bit spoiled for expectations for how consumer products "ought" to perform regarding interchangeability      
2022-9-8
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-8 12:16
It is much heavier but it gives better options than the RC.  RC Pro has HDMI out, 1000 Nits vice 700 and also you can install 3rd party Apps on it like UAV Forecast.  Personally, I get a stronger signal connection and better range using the RC Pro over the RC.  Could be that the external antennas outperform the internal antennas on the RC.  Just my opinion.

By spec, was attracted by the 1000 vs 700 Nit and overall range stability. I wasn't planning to fly to test range and monitor for dropout however nice to have a robust signal that does not easily degrade. If I was backpacking or porting it over distance, would be more concerned about the weight, not any concern about wrist strain whilst using ;-) Overall connectivity and the leveraging of third-party apps is a great selling point albeit not cheap. I suppose we get what we pay for (ouch some times).   
2022-9-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Thai_Robbz. Thank you for reaching out and for these information that you have given. As of the moment, we do not have any information with the DJI RC's future update and with regard to this matter.  Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates for the DJI RC by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com . Thank you.
2022-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-8 16:24
By spec, was attracted by the 1000 vs 700 Nit and overall range stability. I wasn't planning to fly to test range and monitor for dropout however nice to have a robust signal that does not easily degrade. If I was backpacking or porting it over distance, would be more concerned about the weight, not any concern about wrist strain whilst using ;-) Overall connectivity and the leveraging of third-party apps is a great selling point albeit not cheap. I suppose we get what we pay for (ouch some times).

Yeah, always have to weigh wants and needs against available funds.  To me it was worth the extra cost.  To others it may not be.
2022-9-9
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 02:13
Yeah, always have to weigh wants and needs against available funds.  To me it was worth the extra cost.  To others it may not be.

Hahaha... my favorite point to remind people of. To delineate between "want" and "need". Good to be honest with yourself... and "want" is not necessarily a negative attribute! Wholly agree that when weighing "worth" and extra cost, it's a quite personal decision. There are a few wants I have not budgeted in (as of yet) but the want is strong that will lead to capitulation There is a value proposition that needs to be considered
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-9 03:23
Hahaha... my favorite point to remind people of. To delineate between "want" and "need". Good to be honest with yourself... and "want" is not necessarily a negative attribute! Wholly agree that when weighing "worth" and extra cost, it's a quite personal decision. There are a few wants I have not budgeted in (as of yet) but the want is strong that will lead to capitulation  There is a value proposition that needs to be considered

No doubt about the need to consider the value proposition.    You sound like a well informed and wise consumer.
2022-9-9
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 03:53
No doubt about the need to consider the value proposition.    You sound like a well informed and wise consumer.

you're too kind! I am striving for the wise thing. Just attempting to not be "born yesterday" foolish. Have to admit, really do want to dump more money into this pursuit and suffer the evil eye of my spouse
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-9 04:53
you're too kind! I am striving for the wise thing. Just attempting to not be "born yesterday" foolish. Have to admit, really do want to dump more money into this pursuit and suffer the evil eye of my spouse

The problem here is so many large companies are delving into drone deliveries.  Their powerful advocates are working hard to convince the FAA to relegate recreational flyers into flying fields and reserve all the other space for their delivery drones.  With their money backing it could well happen. For this reason I'm not going to be making any more major investments into drones until I see how all this works out.

With respect to your pursuit of drones just be careful and heed a wise old saying.  "Happy wife, happy life".

Have a great weekend.  
2022-9-9
Use props
Thai_Robbz
lvl.1
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 11:56
The problem here is so many large companies are delving into drone deliveries.  Their powerful advocates are working hard to convince the FAA to relegate recreational flyers into flying fields and reserve all the other space for their delivery drones.  With their money backing it could well happen. For this reason I'm not going to be making any more major investments into drones until I see how all this works out.

With respect to your pursuit of drones just be careful and heed a wise old saying.  "Happy wife, happy life".

Indeed, the drone delivery space will drive additional innovation. The automation precision will be interesting to watch unfold. With all the additional lower-flying air traffic, the obstacle/vehicle avoidance needs to be stepped up an order of magnitude. The "hows" regulated and "whats" allowed by the FAA, EASA and their Asian counterparts will also be an interesting game with the proponents/opponents hashing it out (with of course some missteps). Being an average enthusiast... will this add a layer of complication to our daily randomness? . Thinking about some of the restrictions in UK and Europe will certainly get more broadly applied... can just imagine the screams about privacy and more firing upon drones they deem are invading their space. When I used to paraglide or paramotor, I would occasionally catch grief from local LE regardless of no law on the book being broken, this along with local residence that feared me video-ing them boinking their mistresses in the backyard (or other exposure) and having it published... what a game of perceptions and fears!   

Also, being there is the exposure to loss of product, how handled by insurance is another opportunity of growth and/or frustration. What will be fielded by drones let's say 5 years out, haven't the foggiest. Of course, if this lowers the cost to us play-time consumers, will be a happy benefactor.        
2022-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Thai_Robbz Posted at 9-9 15:51
Indeed, the drone delivery space will drive additional innovation. The automation precision will be interesting to watch unfold. With all the additional lower-flying air traffic, the obstacle/vehicle avoidance needs to be stepped up an order of magnitude. The "hows" regulated and "whats" allowed by the FAA, EASA and their Asian counterparts will also be an interesting game with the proponents/opponents hashing it out (with of course some missteps). Being an average enthusiast... will this add a layer of complication to our daily randomness? . Thinking about some of the restrictions in UK and Europe will certainly get more broadly applied... can just imagine the screams about privacy and more firing upon drones they deem are invading their space. When I used to paraglide or paramotor, I would occasionally catch grief from local LE regardless of no law on the book being broken, this along with local residence that feared me video-ing them boinking their mistresses in the backyard (or other exposure) and having it published... what a game of perceptions and fears!   

Also, being there is the exposure to loss of product, how handled by insurance is another opportunity of growth and/or frustration. What will be fielded by drones let's say 5 years out, haven't the foggiest. Of course, if this lowers the cost to us play-time consumers, will be a happy benefactor.

Will definitely be interesting to see how this all changes over the next few years.
2022-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules