Fly 1.7.4 repetitive app crashing
3587 34 2022-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
Flight distance : 631014 ft
United States

Running DJI Fly 1.7.4 (1410) on the RC Pro (latest firmware) with Mavic 3 Cine (latest firmware).  Every time I touch the minimized map in the lower left corner in order to expand it the entire Fly app crashes.  It's easy and quick to re-start the app and resume the flight, but the app continues to shut down every time I attempt to expand the map.  In fact, a message box soon appears that states "DJI Fly keeps stopping."  If I switch from the map to the compass and touch its icon or change its settings, Fly does not crash, so the app crashing behaviour is attributable only to expanding the map.  I re-downloaded and re-installed Fly 1.7.4 and the app continues to crash as with the former install.

Upon further testing, the app crashing issue seems to occur only when the controller and drone are connected.  Expanding the map in "Camera View" on the controller by itself does not appear to affect the app.

Is anyone else observing this behavior?
2022-9-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there NDI-Orlando. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention and evaluation. Thank you.
2022-9-11
Use props
fans33ffb39a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 293560 ft
United States

Yes my RC Pro updated to 1.7.4 on Friday and continually crashed when attempting to fly the Mavic 3 and then the Air2S.  Reverted back to 1.7.0 and everything was normal the rest of the day.
2022-9-12
Use props
PortrayU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 453950 ft

Ireland

Mine is too on the smart controller for air 2s and i cant rollback the software
2022-9-13
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6587844 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-11 19:06
Hello there NDI-Orlando. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention and evaluation. Thank you.

I had the same issue. Operating an Air 2s and a Mavic 3 from an RC Pro.  I called support.  They recommended reinstalling from the website.  Did not work.  I then, after many flights found that if I changed air sense to not include the low risk, it did not seem to crash the app for now.  Will keep trying after charging some batteries
2022-9-13
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
United States

I had the same issue. Operating an Air 2s and a Mavic 3 from an RC Pro.  I called support.  They recommended reinstalling from the website.  Did not work.  then found that if I changed air sense to not include the low risk, it did not seem to crash the app for now
2022-9-13
Use props
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
United States

bhallapple Posted at 9-13 12:10
I had the same issue. Operating an Air 2s and a Mavic 3 from an RC Pro.  I called support.  They recommended reinstalling from the website.  Did not work.  then found that if I changed air sense to not include the low risk, it did not seem to crash the app for now

Hi, bhallapple,

Thanks for your Airsense suggestion. I have verified that it also works on my equipment configuration (Mavic 3 Cine, RC Pro, Fly 1.7.4). M3C and RCPro are both updated to latest firmware.  By setting Airsense to either of the two less sensitive settings, the Fly app did not crash when expanding the map to full screen. As soon as Airsense was set to the most sensitive setting, app crashes resumed when the map expanded.

Regards,
NDI-Orlando
2022-9-14
Use props
fans6db55382
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3807923 ft

United States

I installed it on Smart Controller to fly my Mavic Air 2.  It crashed randomly 2 times during one flight.  When it crashed on my second flight I landed the drone and reverted back to version 1.6.9 and had no trouble.
2022-9-14
Use props
GuitGuy67
lvl.1

United States

PortrayU Posted at 9-13 01:10
Mine is too on the smart controller for air 2s and i cant rollback the software

You can rollback the software.  First go into Settings->apps and tap on DJI Fly.  In the top right hand corner you will see 3 vertical dots.  Tap those and tap the option "uninstall updates".  That will revert the FJI Fly version to what was stock on the SC originally.

Now find the APK of the version of DJI Fly that you want to install (googling should find it for you) and load it onto the SC.  I copied it onto a micro SD card.  Using the File Explorer (or whatever it's called) on the SC, locate the APK file and tap it.  This will kick off the installation.
It is explained here.  he is talking about older versions of DJI Fly, but that doesn't matter...the procedure is the same.

2022-9-14
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
United States

GuitGuy67 Posted at 9-14 12:49
You can rollback the software.  First go into Settings->apps and tap on DJI Fly.  In the top right hand corner you will see 3 vertical dots.  Tap those and tap the option "uninstall updates".  That will revert the FJI Fly version to what was stock on the SC originally.

Now find the APK of the version of DJI Fly that you want to install (googling should find it for you) and load it onto the SC.  I copied it onto a micro SD card.  Using the File Explorer (or whatever it's called) on the SC, locate the APK file and tap it.  This will kick off the installation.

Does not having the current software affect DJI refresh and flyaway.?
2022-9-14
Use props
GuitGuy67
lvl.1

United States

bhallapple Posted at 9-14 13:38
Does not having the current software affect DJI refresh and flyaway.?

That's a good question and a valid concern if you have refresh/flyaway coverage or are under warranty still.

If I were in that situation, I would either have to take a chance flying the older version of DJI Fly or ground the drone.  The drone is still flyable when the app crashes, but that's certainly a big distraction that could lead to bad things.
2022-9-15
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
United States

GuitGuy67 Posted at 9-15 08:58
That's a good question and a valid concern if you have refresh/flyaway coverage or are under warranty still.

If I were in that situation, I would either have to take a chance flying the older version of DJI Fly or ground the drone.  The drone is still flyable when the app crashes, but that's certainly a big distraction that could lead to bad things.

I have found that by setting the airsense in the map to not include the low risk, the app did not stop working.  ran it on both my Air 2s and Mavic 3
2022-9-15
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8984337 ft
United Kingdom

Hi I’ve also updated to DJI Fly 1.7.4 (1410) and today every time I fly my air 2s the app crashes and says to restart. Was working fine until this latest version. Is there a way to return to the previous version as all I can do is return to 1.42.
2022-9-16
Use props
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
United States

Dou6ie Posted at 9-16 09:07
Hi I’ve also updated to DJI Fly 1.7.4 (1410) and today every time I fly my air 2s the app crashes and says to restart. Was working fine until this latest version. Is there a way to return to the previous version as all I can do is return to 1.42.

Hi, Dou6ie,

As bhallapple pointed out in a previous post, you can try to change your Airsense setting from the most sensitive level to one of the higher levels. That seems to have provided a work-around to the crashing issue for multiple individuals (including me).  DJI support is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

Regards,

NDI-Orlando
2022-9-16
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi NDI - Orlando

Thanks for your reply. I’ve set the air sense to high collision risk now and I’ll give it a go and report back how I get on.

Thanks again
Dou6ie
2022-9-16
Use props
BlairwareVision
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16780791 ft
  • >>>
United States

bhallapple Posted at 9-13 12:10

I am incredibly impressed you found that workaround.  Pf all the options to tweak, but knowing maps was related to crashing, Airsence setting would probably be the LAST SETTING i would think to try. Then again. I wouldn't try others after that, since it would work, lol!
2022-9-17
Use props
BlairwareVision
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16780791 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks gents. I tried the old Android "clear cache" -first using the section in profile and clearing cache files, then trying the Android way in Settings,  Apps. No good.  I was ALMOST going to clear Data, and lose the Gallery in the Fly App, not ideal but manageable,  instead chose to just Fly Mini 3 last night. You've GOT to have a backup drone, lol! About to use the Airsense sensitvity setting method. Amazing discovery with the plethora of potential root causes. In retrospect, it makes some weird sense, but even that is a stretch.

Why do the software folks at DJI always release a buggy app on (their) Friday,  then head out for the weekend? Nevermind.  I already know the answer, lol.

Just looked at the date of another thread on this at Mavicpilots.com. From Sept. 9th. Weird I JUST got 1.7.4 since I check for updates every time I Fly. And I've been flying the Mavic 3 with RC Pro all week.
2022-9-17
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

After adjusting  the air sense I flew a couple of flights and the DJI fly app is still crashing. It is also crashing when I try to download the video.
This is what I get on the smart controller when it crashes.
2022-9-17
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
United States

Dou6ie Posted at 9-17 06:14
After adjusting  the air sense I flew a couple of flights and the DJI fly app is still crashing. It is also crashing when I try to download the video.
This is what I get on the smart controller when it crashes.
[view_image]

I am using the RC Pro and changed it under the map page to medium and high risk.  I have never dealt with a smart controller.  maybe turn off airsense in settings?  
2022-9-17
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi Bhallapple, thanks for your reply. Yes I changed airsense settings and also turned it off but still got the above message on my smart controller. I ended up factory resetting the smart controller and downloaded the 1.7.4 apk from the DJI site onto a sd card.. Still same problem. As I said previously the DJI fly app still crashes even when I’m trying to download the footage from my air 2s.
I ended resetting it back to 1.42 to download my footage and there was no problem.
So this must mean it’s the latest DJI fly apk 1.7.4 that’s the problem.
2022-9-17
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wee update. I’ve now reverted back to DJI fly apk 1.7.0 and no problems at all. Until version 1.7.4 is fixed I’ll be staying with the older version.
2022-9-18
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

1.7.5 is now available ... Does that fix things?
2022-9-20
Use props
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 9-20 12:13
1.7.5 is now available ... Does that fix things?

No.

I just completed a series of flight tests with Fly 1.7.5 (RC Pro, Mavic 3 Cine) and the app crashing issue is still present--if Airsense is set at the most sensitive level. Changing Airsense to either of the less sensitive settings appears to be a successful work-around and I could not get the app to crash when these settings were in place.
2022-9-20
Use props
jjcombs13
lvl.2
United States

NDI-Orlando Posted at 9-20 15:48
No.

I just completed a series of flight tests with Fly 1.7.5 (RC Pro, Mavic 3 Cine) and the app crashing issue is still present--if Airsense is set at the most sensitive level. Changing Airsense to either of the less sensitive settings appears to be a successful work-around and I could not get the app to crash when these settings were in place.

I can report the same.  Updated RC Pro to 1.7.5 this morning, connected the Mavic 3 and the app started immediately crashing.  I tried different Airsense settings and still got consistent app crashes on a client job.  Quickly reverted back to stock and then upgraded to 1.7.0 via the APK and it worked flawlessly the rest of the job.  I was going to submit a support case but I would think DJI would be well aware of this issue.... may go that route tomorrow anyway.
2022-9-20
Use props
jjcombs13
lvl.2
United States

No.

I will attempt to fiddle with Airsense again since the workaround seemed to have fixed your issue.  Very interesting!
2022-9-20
Use props
NDI-Orlando
lvl.2
United States

jjcombs13 Posted at 9-20 19:20
I will attempt to fiddle with Airsense again since the workaround seemed to have fixed your issue.  Very interesting!

I've found that I need to change the Airsense setting to one of the less sensitive options after the aircraft and controller are linked, but before the aircraft launches. Once the M3C is airborne, it is not possible to shift from most sensitive to less sensitive level because the app continues to crash before I can get to that setting.  Rebooting the aircraft seems to reset everything.

To summarize, if I would happen to launch with Airsense at max sensitivity and the app begins repeatedly crashing, landing, rebooting the aircraft, then changing the Airsense setting before launching again seems to allow uninterrupted fight. I've been cautious about how far to fly until the crashing issue is fixed or I gain confidence in this work-around.
2022-9-20
Use props
jjcombs13
lvl.2
United States

NDI-Orlando Posted at 9-20 19:28
I've found that I need to change the Airsense setting to one of the less sensitive options after the aircraft and controller are linked, but before the aircraft launches. Once the M3C is airborne, it is not possible to shift from most sensitive to less sensitive level because the app continues to crash before I can get to that setting.  Rebooting the aircraft seems to reset everything.

To summarize, if I would happen to launch with Airsense at max sensitivity and the app begins repeatedly crashing, landing, rebooting the aircraft, then changing the Airsense setting before launching again seems to allow uninterrupted fight. I've been cautious about how far to fly until the crashing issue is fixed or I gain confidence in this work-around.

Thanks for the details, I appreciate it!  For the moment I am sticking with 1.7.0 because I don't want to introduce additional risk and 1.7.0 has been rock solid.  I'm hoping they get this straight soon!
2022-9-21
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I uninstalled updates and then installed 1.7.0 But Map is blank No home point nothing???
2022-9-22
Use props
djiuser_lAbzj41yAhU1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 669948 ft
United States

ive been having the same issue for 3 days now and all dji suggested was to close app which don't do nothing
2022-9-25
Use props
djiuser_lAbzj41yAhU1
lvl.2
United States

NDI-Orlando Posted at 9-16 09:38
Hi, Dou6ie,

As bhallapple pointed out in a previous post, you can try to change your Airsense setting from the most sensitive level to one of the higher levels. That seems to have provided a work-around to the crashing issue for multiple individuals (including me).  DJI support is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

does not work for me as soon i i expand map crash
2022-9-25
Use props
djiuser_lAbzj41yAhU1
lvl.2
United States

No.

i did the app rollback as suggested here for the rc controller but it also works with the rc pro i downgrade to 1.6.12 it will say to uninstall app and did will load a fresh version of the v 1.6.12 which does not crash just don't update to 1.7.5
2022-9-25
Use props
Guilherme Ehrat Zils
New
Flight distance : 30482 ft
United States

same thing for me as well
2022-9-28
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

As previously said I had issues with 1.7.4  app shutting down. I reverted back to 1.7.0 and everything worked as it should.
Today I decided to upgrade to 1.7.5(1010-official) with my smart controller and DJI Air2s. Used three batteries to test my flights and no issues at all.
Everything working as it should be and the air sense was also on.
2022-10-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Dou6ie Posted at 10-2 07:40
As previously said I had issues with 1.7.4  app shutting down. I reverted back to 1.7.0 and everything worked as it should.
Today I decided to upgrade to 1.7.5(1010-official) with my smart controller and DJI Air2s. Used three batteries to test my flights and no issues at all.
Everything working as it should be and the air sense was also on.

I tried with M3 whenever airsence goes to low, medium... and app crashes, if airsence is on medium or high it seems to work but I did not fly yet - Shame DJI - such expensive controller and buggy app for 3 weeks now
2022-10-3
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 10-3 22:02
I tried with M3 whenever airsence goes to low, medium... and app crashes, if airsence is on medium or high it seems to work but I did not fly yet - Shame DJI - such expensive controller and buggy app for 3 weeks now

Hi Alex, I’ve now updated to 1.7.5 (1010 official) and everything still working great and airsense is on.

Dougie
2022-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules