New feature- emergency autorotation
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
f.selvini
lvl.1

Italy

Hi all,
just a simple question to the gurus of electronic. it's not possible implement an emergency auto rotation feature? the p3 had all technology for do that.. altimeter, barometer, ultrasonic sensor and so on.. what do you think, is realizable?

Thanks in Advanced
2015-8-8
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

You would need much larger props to generate any rotation in a free fall. Plus the center of gravity would have to be much lower to prevent turning over.

So, no I don't think it is possible.
2015-8-8
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

That's why they make and sell hexocopters and octocopters.
2015-8-8
Use props
airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Autorotation needs variable pitch rotors, as there is no such thing on a Phantom,  then the answer is NO.
2015-8-8
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

actually that is really smart. if you ever get disoriented you should be able to press a c1 of c2 button and the craft will face forward
2015-8-8
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Michael, you need to look up auto-rotation.  It isn't rotating the craft to a new heading.  It's an anti-crash maneuver used by helicopters to reduce and sometimes prevent a crash with no power.  It uses forward speed to spin the rotor up in a dive to get up enough rotational speed of the rotor to flare and hit the cyclic at the last moment to put on the brakes (so to speak) and flare to the ground landing.  I watched the Guard practice them in Helena MT with fully loaded military version of the Ranger.  Scary landings.
2015-8-8
Use props
tomlog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 689511 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can't do it with fixed pitch props. You need to go to negative pitch to keep the props spinning then when you are a few feet off the ground go to positive pitch for a soft landing.  
2015-8-8
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

tomlog@sbcgloba Posted at 2015-8-9 01:43
Can't do it with fixed pitch props. You need to go to negative pitch to keep the props spinning then ...

Also the energy is stored in the rotors to be used just before touching down. Not much mass in the P3 props and motor armatures.
2015-8-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Yes there is an algorithm for quadcopters in case of one motor fails to land, i think this was coded from a university in europe somewhere. The quad will spin like crazy but it can land more or less without damaging to much but i can imagine that the gimbal will get damaged because of the force when spinning.
2015-8-8
Use props
soerheim.emil
lvl.2
Norway

^ Fuck me! i want that algorithm
2015-8-8
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-8 23:38
Michael, you need to look up auto-rotation.  It isn't rotating the craft to a new heading.  It's an  ...

I know that you guys are talking about something different but I thought that the  auto rotation thing would still be cool
2015-8-8
Use props
f.selvini
lvl.1

Italy

Thanks gui for all your replies, yes The normal autorotation IS not possible but in this case this algorithm IS The Way: http://youtu.be/bsHryqnvyYA  can we ask to dji this feature?
2015-8-10
Use props
d.hautle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118766 ft
Switzerland

I was thinking about the same thing.. there must be a way for a one-motor-out landing. But the phantom has to correctly (and quickly) detect the motor fail first, before you can apply the algorithm shown in the video. Hopefully dji will implement this soon
2015-8-10
Use props
DiogoPintoCinem
New

Portugal

Help me with this problem please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd4UnZgw7aI&feature=youtu.be
2015-9-15
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

DiogoPintoCinem Posted at 2015-9-15 14:57

? huh ?

care to specify what the nature of your problem is?
2015-9-15
Use props
mrapl1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Daninho Posted at 2015-8-8 14:36
Yes there is an algorithm for quadcopters in case of one motor fails to land, i think this was coded ...

That would be great to see in a future firmware release...!

please

please

2015-9-15
Use props
DiogoPintoCinem
New

Portugal

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-9-15 14:09
? huh ?

care to specify what the nature of your problem is?
I don`t no nothing about this problem.
See this short video.

2015-9-15
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

mrapl1 Posted at 2015-9-15 15:19
That would be great to see in a future firmware release...!

Indeed but DJI wont allow it i guess because they want to earn money with crashed copters
2015-9-16
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.2
United States

DiogoPintoCinem Posted at 2015-9-15 07:57

Looks like you may need to calibrate the Flux Capacitor , at a speed of 88 mph
2015-9-16
Use props
DiogoPintoCinem
New

Portugal

Show Me Drone Posted at 2015-9-16 13:58
Looks like you may need to calibrate the Flux Capacitor , at a speed of 88 mph

On the descent I lost control over my drone, not responding to my commands.
2015-9-16
Use props
mrapl1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-9-16 19:00
Indeed but DJI wont allow it i guess because they want to earn money with crashed copters

Daninho,
    Sadly you are probably right about them not putting it in, in lieu of extra revenue due to more crashing, but I discovered there is at leaset one filght controller out there that has this feature...  It is a Tarot ZYX-M Multirotor GPS Flight Control System and this from the description... "Another great feature is the damaged/broken arm protection (hexacopter, octacopter) when a single motor or propeller becomes damaged the the multirotor can still maintain normal flight." So there is hope, and now that I have been having problems with the ArduFlyer on the home built hex I have, I may toss it and install this little gem on it instead... yeeeeesssss...
    Also, if you are adamant about not crashing, just check out this from DJI  https://developer.dji.com/en/guidance/  or if you can't wait for them to build it in, check out this mod:  http://www.panoptesuav.com/ebumper/  both are amazing...
2015-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules