Sensors and flying through small gaps
2501 14 2022-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grant Brown
lvl.3
Flight distance : 110515 ft
South Africa

Had it twice now when flying in Normal mode, with the motion controller.  When flying through a small gap (eg under a chair that has leg braces) it seems like the sensors pick up the drone is too low and raises the drone which then hits the underside of chair and then spins up the motors to full power. The only way to stop is to hold down the lock button and have it land.  Is there something I am missing when it comes to flying through small gaps?  Maybe it has to do with normal mode? Something to do with the sensors and the motion controller?
2022-9-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Grant Brown. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. may we please know if you are receiving any error message or error codes on the DJI Fly application? For reference, in Normal or Sports Mode, when the Downward Vision System us unavailable or disabled when the GNSS signal is weak or the compass experiences interference, the DJI Avata cannot position itself or brake automatically, which increases the risk of potential flight hazards. At this time, the DJI Drone may be more easily affected by its surroundings. Environmental factors such as wind can result in horizontal shifting, which may present hazards, especially when flying on confined spaces. Thank you.
2022-9-11
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I've never had this happen to me so far, which explains the number of times, i've had the drone fly too close to, and then crash into the ground/grass - do the downward facing sensors prevent the drone from being too close to the ground? From what I recall, the downward sensors are only used for the drone to hover in place
2022-9-11
Use props
Iczeman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8336266 ft
  • >>>

Hi, if I remember correctly with DJI FPV in N mode are all sensors active and to get closer to subject downwards I always switch to S mode to disable reaction to sensors and only I got warning but no action from drone which is correct. I expect same behavior from Avata, but can't confirm yet as will be delivered within next few hours

Therefore I expect that S mode will be a solution what you mentioned.
2022-9-12
Use props
Grant Brown
lvl.3
South Africa

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-11 23:15
Hello there Grant Brown. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. may we please know if you are receiving any error message or error codes on the DJI Fly application? For reference, in Normal or Sports Mode, when the Downward Vision System us unavailable or disabled when the GNSS signal is weak or the compass experiences interference, the DJI Avata cannot position itself or brake automatically, which increases the risk of potential flight hazards. At this time, the DJI Drone may be more easily affected by its surroundings. Environmental factors such as wind can result in horizontal shifting, which may present hazards, especially when flying on confined spaces. Thank you.

Hi Stephen.  There are no warnings aside from the alert of being low to the ground.  When flying the Avata with a motion controller do the downward sensors try to keep a set height above the ground in both Normal and Sport mode?  It may be that when encountering the chair leg/cross brace (in this example) the Avata assumes this is the ground (or an obstacle) and attempts to raise the drone to the set height and at this point it will happen to hit the bottom of the chair seat, when it hits the top of the seat its lift is restricted and so it adds more power to try overcome the restriction to get to its set height from the sensor?
2022-9-12
Use props
Grant Brown
lvl.3
South Africa

Ken-W Posted at 9-11 23:56
I've never had this happen to me so far, which explains the number of times, i've had the drone fly too close to, and then crash into the ground/grass - do the downward facing sensors prevent the drone from being too close to the ground? From what I recall, the downward sensors are only used for the drone to hover in place

It seems like when using the motion controller, and at least in normal mode, that once flying there is a pre-determined height (or distance from the ground) which you cannot force it to go lower than - i think this is a good thing if using the motion controller.  Try with your Avata to fly at low altitude and and then tilt down on the controller - you will see you cannot lower than a set height it seems.
2022-9-12
Use props
Grant Brown
lvl.3
South Africa

Iczeman Posted at 9-12 01:47
Hi, if I remember correctly with DJI FPV in N mode are all sensors active and to get closer to subject downwards I always switch to S mode to disable reaction to sensors and only I got warning but no action from drone which is correct. I expect same behavior from Avata, but can't confirm yet as will be delivered within next few hours  

Therefore I expect that S mode will be a solution what you mentioned.

I think this makes sense, I am just not sure if the sensors are disabled in sports mode with the motion controller- too scared to test in S mode.  Still getting used to the speed in Normal mode.  Good luck when you get yours - it is super fun.  The motion controller seems like a gimmick but is actually amazing to fly with.  Loving this Avata.
2022-9-12
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Grant Brown Posted at 9-12 03:51
It seems like when using the motion controller, and at least in normal mode, that once flying there is a pre-determined height (or distance from the ground) which you cannot force it to go lower than - i think this is a good thing if using the motion controller.  Try with your Avata to fly at low altitude and and then tilt down on the controller - you will see you cannot lower than a set height it seems.

I'll have to give it a try again - I've not found any settings for minimum altitude but if that setting exiss, it's be a game-changer for me
2022-9-12
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's all on page 23 of the manual.
2022-9-12
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 9-12 05:04
It's all on page 23 of the manual.

I like your answer sir! RTFM when in doubt!

~ Never had an issue flying the Avata with MC so far... lots of tight gaps... the trick I think is .. DON'T stop.
2022-9-12
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 9-12 12:32

~ Never had an issue flying the Avata with MC so far... lots of tight gaps... the trick I think is .. DON'T stop.

Yup! I do understand though. It's always fun to just get it in the air, until you do (or don't do) something because you didn't RTFM! I just burned my first five batteries and I do believe you're right, DON'T stop. Although I did have it through my woods and it was very stable at low speed and just hovering. Time will tell...
2022-9-12
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I did

It suggests that the vision system isn't going to stop me from flying it into the ground, and that the sensors are used for positioning/hover and indoor flight (ATTI?)

It also mentions a detection range, but that doesn't seem to stop the drone from flying into the ground either

I get that it's an FPV drone - bad things happen when you fly too close to the ground. Heck, even the Mavic does it
2022-9-12
Use props
Grant Brown
lvl.3
South Africa

Not really.  What I did take from the manual is that sensors are enabled for both Normal and Sports mode.
2022-9-13
Use props
Grant Brown
lvl.3
South Africa

Bob Brown Posted at 9-12 12:32

After some testing I think this is the key - you need to be moving!  As soon as you slow down or stop the sensors try adjust the height to 0.2m above whatever surface you are above. Thanks
2022-9-13
Use props
mattbrad2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47087 ft

United States

Page 23 only indicates the operating range of the sensors. It doesn't indicate anything about a minimum distance from the ground that it will safely keep the drone from flying under.
2022-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules