What mode is ir in? FCC or CE?
8059 19 2022-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CutAussie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336657 ft
Australia

Does anyone know how to determine if the Avata has selected to operate in FCC or CE mode?

I'm in Australia which should be in FCC mode but range is pretty terrible at less than 1.5km.
On my Mavic or Mini2 you can determine mode from the remote controller App GO or Fly on the channel select page.

2022-9-13
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Australia

With help from users on YouTube I found the answer and fix. As I thought my Avata was in CE mode when it should be in FCC here in Australia.

Go to transmission menu in the goggles, select manual mode and see how many channels are displayed as available to select
Ch.1 only equals CE mode and very short range
Ch 1, 2 & 3 means FCC mode, all good.
2022-9-14
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

CutAussie Posted at 9-14 02:36
With help from users on YouTube I found the answer and fix. As I thought my Avata was in CE mode when it should be in FCC here in Australia.

Go to transmission menu in the goggles, select manual mode and see how many channels are displayed as available to select

OK, and how do You switch it to FCC?
2022-9-14
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

If you still have strong signal after 300m = fcc mode.

Lose signal at 350m or less, CE mode
2022-9-14
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Australia

As this is a actual DJI company website I’m not comfortable posting this so called “hack” on here. If you search YouTube you can find lots of videos showing how to fix the CE mode problem of short range.
2022-9-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CutAussie. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out this update that you have rectified the issue. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify or use 3rd party application when operating your DJI Avata for compatibility purposes. In addition, there is a  possibility that these modification will work however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed its reliability when in use and modifying your DJI Product might cause damage or harm on your DJI drone and can cause trouble when on flight as well and can void the warranty of the DJI Avata. Thank you.
2022-9-14
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm in the same boat, but I'm in the U.S.   Supposedly you should show 3 channels in FCC mode and only 1 in CE, and I'm only showing one.  Trying to research how to fix this.  I shouldn't have to use a hack either.
2022-9-16
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-14 18:51
Hello there CutAussie. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out this update that you have rectified the issue. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify or use 3rd party application when operating your DJI Avata for compatibility purposes. In addition, there is a  possibility that these modification will work however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed its reliability when in use and modifying your DJI Product might cause damage or harm on your DJI drone and can cause trouble when on flight as well and can void the warranty of the DJI Avata. Thank you.

Stephen can you verify how to determine whether you are in CE or FCC mode?  The consensus is that when you put the transmission in manual mode you should see 3 Channels for FCC and 1 Channel for CE for 40Mhz.  Is this correct?
2022-9-16
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

I dont think it is, Ive only ever had more channels with the SD Card hack, only ever had 1 with other fcc hacks. Only way I can tell is the penetration differences ie I cant fly past 250-350m in CE but 1km in FCC. Even with SD card hack, only 1 is selected out of 3 channels.
2022-9-17
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Are you using the Motion Controller. It has less range.
2022-9-18
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 9-18 14:30
Are you using the Motion Controller. It has less range.

Motion controller doesn’t effect range, it doesn’t transmit to the drone, only too the goggles
2022-9-18
Use props
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 376050 ft
United States

CutAussie Posted at 9-18 20:07
Motion controller doesn’t effect range, it doesn’t transmit to the drone, only too the goggles

Wrong.  Goggles does the video linking.  Motion controller does the control linking.
2022-9-19
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CutAussie Posted at 9-18 20:07
Motion controller doesn’t effect range, it doesn’t transmit to the drone, only too the goggles

Yes not correct as already advised..

The transmission bands (Channels) for 5.8Ghz in Australia is reduced as half the spectrum is reserved for commercial use.

Remember that the controller is the TX for flight control and the RX for telemetry. The Goggles is the Video (+ telemetry embedded in the video stream) The video is streaming at 5.8Ghz that has less range than the 2.4Ghz flight control.

One reason that people have suspected fly aways. The controls can be still active if the video link is lost.

This was a big issue using my goggles RE with my Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom without attaching the 5.8Ghz antenna.

Unclear to me the technology solution behind head tracking. With the prior googles (White and RE) it used a PCM output that you had to connect to your RC transmitter for pan and tilt.

2022-9-19
Use props
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 376050 ft
United States

bjr981s Posted at 9-19 17:45

The transmission bands (Channels) for 5.8Ghz in Australia is reduced as half the spectrum is reserved for commercial use.

LOL. Don't you guys ever read the manuals??  Check out page 51 of the Avata User Manual.  You will see that the Motion Controller does effect range since it is linking to the Avata for control.  It will also explain why your range was not as expected since you probably did not consider the direction you were holding the Motion Controller.

Once again:  Goggles links to Avata for video.  The Motion Controller links to Avata for flying control.
2022-9-19
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 9-19 17:45

Not sure your right but I could be wrong.

Conventional controller I believe does transmit to Avata and that’s why Head Tracking is not available.

The Motion Controller only uses a short range datalink to the Goggles 2 which then Tx to the Avata. This is why Head Control then becomes an option instead of the motion controller movements.

I’ve also found out how to select between 2.4 and 5.6 bands by changing channel bandwidth as well as changing to FCC with the unlock file loaded onto the Goggles memory card
2022-9-20
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CutAussie Posted at 9-20 03:05
Not sure your right but I could be wrong.

Conventional controller I believe does transmit to Avata and that’s why Head Tracking is not available.

See above your post to Old Man Mike to reference the correct page in the manual.

Be very careful about selecting US based 5.8 ghz channels. You risk getting shot down from a commercial broadcast.
2022-9-20
Use props
pmosri
New

United States

I just recently bought my DJI Avata here in the US but my drone range is very low, I checked and is definitely on CE mode, why ? how can I change it to FCC mode. I'm here in Florida, USA
2023-2-22
Use props
GTHero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832372 ft
Australia

Sorry for 're-opening' an old post, but did you ever find a fix for this, other than the hack - which we shouldn't have to resort to in Australia (FCC)?  I've recently bought an Avata and have the same issues you do.
2023-12-14
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Australia

GTHero Posted at 12-14 21:32
Sorry for 're-opening' an old post, but did you ever find a fix for this, other than the hack - which we shouldn't have to resort to in Australia (FCC)?  I've recently bought an Avata and have the same issues you do.

Honestly haven’t given it much thought, the DJI hack works perfectly for me
2023-12-14
Use props
djiuser_PmYThUpvhwp6
New

Greece

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 2022-9-14 14:07
If you still have strong signal after 300m = fcc mode.

Lose signal at 350m or less, CE mode

Thats actually not true because im based in the eu witch we only have ce mode and with my mini 2 se a month ago i went 1.5km away and still 4 out of 5 signal bars were there so thats not true
I sayd the month ago thing because 2 weeks now iv had some trouble ot malfunction with my mini 2se signal but other than that great drone and i hope that the signal glitches go away soon or dji mayby replaces my unit
1-6 10:37
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules