Going full down left stick = CRASH ? willie wonka speculation.
4908 105 2015-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Quadifier Posted at 2015-8-9 11:08
It wasn't pilot error...just a misconception.  He stated that he was holding the P3 in his hand wh ...

dont even bother with him, just go read his other threads and replies, that should give you a very good insight to his character and what he is about
2015-8-9
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-9 04:28
Unless of course you are Billy Goat Gruff.  The defeater of trolls!  Lol...

I can't help myself,  ...

"I can't help myself, I have a history of shutting down trolls."  You do realize that engaging with people in the way that you are doing makes YOU a troll, right?
2015-8-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-9 01:55
I use full down all the time Willie. Did a little while ago as a matter of fact. No premature disarm ...

I'm sorry Willie, but I have to agree. I've used full left-stick down a number of times. When it's up well over 100 feet (I tend not to go *real* high), I generally pull down all the way on the left stick until it gets well below the tree tops where I fly. Then I *might* back off a little on the stick.

It's been my understanding for a long time that full left stick down will NOT shut the motors off unless the Phantom has stopped descending. It apparently identifies that condition via its internal barometer.
2015-8-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Lost interest in this tired thread, < half-way through page one. ;-)

Ok, you kids have fun, I'm going to walk back to the van, for a refreshing break.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-9
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 04:03
I got under your skin, didn't I...

Wow! such arrogance - "LICENSED PILOT" . You obviously perceive yourself as a PhD in the midst of high school dropouts.

This is a place for flyers of all skill levels to post questions, and (with respect), answer questions. You, need to query the definition of "respect".
2015-8-9
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Hey chaps,
Willie wonka says this is speculation, and no birds were harmed in his controlled test.
There is no issue here.  Full down on LH stick whilst the P3 is flying does not turn thr motors off.
2 seconds LH stick down when on the ground does kill motors.  We all know this.
Pointless discussion?
2015-8-9
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

snowride419 Posted at 2015-8-10 02:53
"I can't help myself, I have a history of shutting down trolls."  You do realize that engaging wit ...

Hi snowride,

If your logic is correct (of which I disagree with) making me a troll, how does that excuse you from being a troll?

Regardless, I was coming to the aid of another.  The term "troll" was originally used to describe the technique "trollers" use.  For example when you tow a fishing line behind a boat to catch a fish, you are hoping to catch a fish by trolling.  Similar to dropping random offensive, instigating comments in a message board, hoping to catch a response of pissed off people.  I on the other hand was responding to a direct attack, provided substance to back up my point, and was not afraid to slap back.  Call it what you want to call it but I am not a troll.  
2015-8-11
Use props
Superfantastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

well after all this and even at page one we did get the general answer to the non problem that full down does nothing to shutdown motors mid flight, but you guys did manage to get your credit up for no reason
( in fact after all this waste of time some of you should delete your posts to get your credit taken back off )
2015-8-11
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

DMB2015 Posted at 2015-8-9 05:54
I would not recommend putting the kill switch on one of the back buttons, as I don't know about othe ...

Likewise, I have been in the middle of taking a shot and accidentally hit the back button on the left causing the camera to face directly down.  
2015-8-11
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Superfantastic Posted at 2015-8-9 06:20
I did a live chat with dji about this a few weeks back as I was also worried, he said it will not cu ...

Did you by chance ask what would happen if VPS were set "OFF" due to being outdoors.  Last I heard, DJI recommends to only use VPS indoors.
2015-8-11
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-9 07:08
People must be bored today with all of the bobbing, weaving, jabbing and stabbing.   I will just add ...

Do you have prop guards on your drone?  Was this after the firmware update? VPS enabled or disabled?
2015-8-11
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-12 06:31
Do you have prop guards on your drone?  Was this after the firmware update? VPS enabled or disable ...

Booradley, I am assuming you addressed your question to me,  I have gotten other replies that seemed to be addressed to someone else.

I am not using prop guards and yes, I updated to the latest firmware on bird and controller with no issues at all.   But it does seem my bird is faster,  I haven't tracked it speed but when I flew it back from 2500 feet out it sure came back fast, scaring me LOL  I lost track of it  staring at my tablet until I heard it passing overhead flying between powerlines about 100 feet behind me!!!    (no tail wind, had a cross wind). Learned my lesson. {:3_64:}
I have had VPS disabled for quite some time now, no issues,  I don't fly indoors at all.
2015-8-11
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-12 06:47
Booradley, I am assuming you addressed your question to me,  I have gotten other replies that seem ...

Hi CaveDrone,

Yes I was addressing your original question, thank you for responding.

Just a footnote before I get into my response, I have had one incident with my drone near high tension power lines, the kind with exposed coils.  I posted the video on YouTube to help others avoid my mistake.  Luckily for me, my drone was not damaged in this incident however, I have gotten quite a debate going about whether the power lines played a roll or not.

The power lines you mentioned, were they heavy duty?  The kind that are exposed to the elements, that have coils, and birds do not land on?  Sometimes referred to as high tension power lines?  I have heard that these types of power line will actually light a fluorescent bulb if you get it close enough to them.  Either way, I feel like and agree with the instructions to be extremely cautious near power lines.  I am a prudent flyer and believed the 150+ yards away was good enough to fly.  What happened was, anytime I was within 50 feet of the ground (and it seemed to get worse as I got closer to the ground) the drone would take on a mind of it's own.  I'd be solely ascending or descending only to have the drone move forward, back and side to side...  I've tried everything in the book to validate it was the power lines.  IMU calibration, compass calibration, and a remote calibration.  I have tried it with VPS on and off.  I also calibrate the compass before every single flight and do not fly until I hear "home point has been updated."  I invested too much in this drone to take a chance.  I have flown the drone in many other locations, including near residential type power lines (the kind that are not too high off the ground and are insulated.  Birds love to hang out on them).  I have not had the issue at any other location other than when the high tension power lines were 150+ yards away.  This may not be the case for you as it has been for me but if there is any takeaway here, be extremely cautious around power lines.  The actual geography of the location may have also played a roll in it.  Because of the hills on either side, almost like a canyon, some of the GPS signals had to pass through the radiation given off by the power lines.  I only say it's been debated because many on my YouTube video claim it was the compass or the VPS which was on during the flight.  I completely disagree with that as I have used process of elimination to determine it could only be the power lines.

I noticed after the firmware with my Phantom 3 Professional with VPS off that there is a little bit of sway while ascending and descending.  I don't know for sure but I seem to recall that not occurring prior to the update and I did run the IMU, compass, and remote calibrations after the updates.  Nothing too drastic at all but thought it would be worth mentioning.  

Do you know if it is now faster after the update?  Because as you suggested it does seem to be ascending and descending quite a bit faster.  Along with horizontal movement, forward and back seem faster too.  I'm loving it, I took it out and did some low altitude flying to show off how fast this baby can fly.  Personally I believe the fast descending is a must.  Even at the 400 foot limit, there are at times, planes flying below 400 feet off the shore of some of the beaches I fly at in Southern California.  I like the option of being able to get out of dodge as fast as possible!
2015-8-11
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

I too use full left stick down all the time,  motors never cut until after its landed.
2015-8-12
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Wow, this thread is out of control and considered a total loss because of one forum member and another member taking the bait.   

Its hard to imagine how anyone could determine why an accident happened after just reading a few sentences regarding the circumstances.  Expressing statements of "it sounds like, or it looks like, or I think this caused the accident is helping no one and certainly won't prevent future accidents.  Everyone has an opinion but opinions don't prevent accidents.
2015-8-12
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-12 07:24
Hi CaveDrone,

Yes I was addressing your original question, thank you for responding.

You got me thinking,   I made a TESLA coil in my youth with up to 30 inch sparks,  I used that the demonstrate wireless lighting of florsent lamps and such.... I am looking at further research as to  earths magnetic field vs power poles.   
2015-8-12
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46483 ft
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 02:03
Thats what worries me, so you are telling me you did go full down more than 2 seconds and it kept  ...

I pull the throttle down fully all the time for way longer than 2 seconds. I'm talking descents from 400' all the way down. It doesn't shut the motors down.

This forum obviously doesn't have mods.
2015-8-12
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-13 07:28
You got me thinking,   I made a TESLA coil in my youth with up to 30 inch sparks,  I used that the ...

Please post what you find.

And you made a Tesla coil?  That is awesome.  I had the pleasure of standing near a giant Tesla coil demonstration at Coachella one year. It was an amazing sight and I'll never forget the sound of it.  

I recently saw a "build a tesla coil" kit listed on dudeIwantthat dot com, I am very tempted to purchase it.
2015-8-13
Use props
hchehab11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 96883 ft
  • >>>
Lebanon

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-8-9 06:07
I wonder if this is just a P3 thing or if it has been this way since the P1 ?

I had this happen to me, I panicked when my drone almost hit a power line, I pulled the left stick all the way down for more than 2 to 3 seconds and my Phantom 1 came tumbling down like a brick damaging two motors and couple of props. So I am very hesitant to do the same with the P3. But it is comforting to know that many have done it with P3 without issues, but I am always conscious about it.
2015-8-13
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I do the left stick down all the time . 1500 ft down to the ground , have never had a issue ......
2015-8-13
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand your post.  You specifically say that holding down the stick for two seconds caused your phantom to stop its engines in mid air.  Then in the same post you say it's just speculation.  Then judging by your replies in this thread, it looks like you've never actually even held down the throttle for two seconds in flight.  What was the point?  Did you really just make that up to troll?
2015-8-13
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

method007 Posted at 2015-8-14 06:03
I don't understand your post.  You specifically say that holding down the stick for two seconds caus ...

COME ON! Let's all stop with that "troll crap"!     
2015-8-13
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-14 07:45
COME ON! Let's all stop with that "troll crap"!

I fee like lying about an event just to complain is pretty much the definition.  This is why I asked.  
2015-8-13
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

method007 Posted at 2015-8-14 09:02
I fee like lying about an event just to complain is pretty much the definition.  This is why I ask ...

Thank you very much for your meaningful contribution !
2015-8-15
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I would like to remind everyone to please try to be civil to each other.  (Let's try to rise above the monkeys flinging poo at each other. OK?)

So what I can suggest constructively is...  A full stick down decent is probably not a good idea unless you are also flying forward.  Flying straight down at a high decent rate can induce a ring vortex state that can stall the aircraft and crash it.  Not because the motors cut off...  But the propellors loose lift in the turbulence and the quad can become uncontrollable.

See: http://www.copters.com/aero/settling.html

Previous versions of Phantom quads did not have limits on the downward decent rate and it was easy to stall the quad and loose control.  For the Phantom 3 & Inspire DJI has set limits on the decent rate to attempt to limit vortex ring state.  But it's still possible at higher altitudes or high temperatures.  

I would advise not "cramming the stick all the way down" to decend.  If you maintain forward flight it's may be OK...  But if you have an altimeter glitch it could also cause the computer to think you are at zero altitude and cut off the motors as the OP experienced.  I would never make a full rate decent.  But that's just me.  (Funny thing I have never crashed a Phantom yet.)
One last word of advise... The CSC maneuver has a long history of casuing Phantom's to flip over & break props on the ground.  I would not recommend it.  Tahoe_Ed & DJI-Autumn have also stated that they don't recommend using the CSC maneuver to shut down after landing.  Holding the throttle stick down for three seconds is a safer way to shut down after landing.  DJI-Autumn said the owners manual was being revised to recommend the full throttle down method instead of the CSC maneuver for shutdown.

Have fun flying everyone!
2015-8-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

This thread got way off topic.  I have cleaned it up.  @Licensed Pilot, I am the DJI forum Moderator and have the authority to police the threads and posts.  Future malicious agitation on your part will lead to more severe actions on my part.  You have been warned.
2015-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules