Air2S uncontrollable, Flying to Death after Return to Home - Danger?
12Next >
1512 42 2022-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anthai
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218038 ft
Greece

Today i fly with my Air2S. While the battery was at 40% i pressed RTH (return to home) to get it back. It was coming last 3 times i tested it (same flights).
When I pressed the RTH suddendly the Air2S starting going very very high and very far away from me. I was scared that 1)it can fall in any head and kill people 2) it will go so far up and hit with an aircraft...
I  was trying to get it down but it was going up. Finally, it ended up in a lake where the idiot DJI software was trying to land it despite it was seeing that "inappropriate surface for landing".
It would not move left or right, just getting down.
Who is responsible for this? Is it my fault that DJI flew away and high when i asked to return back?
Will DJI replace it, it's brand new.
Is it finally uncontrollable and therefore dangerous?
Thanks

2022-9-15
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

A2S has an other forum...

It's better to post there...   
2022-9-15
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

where? i cant find it. many thanks
2022-9-15
Use props
chnuffi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12264 ft
Switzerland

...but anyway interesting for me. Because the described problems here also could be from an Avata user if I remember alot last postings of (nearly) flew away Avatas. Hope there isn't an overall bug in DJI software causing this malfunctions
2022-9-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Anthai Posted at 9-15 07:26
where? i cant find it. many thanks

You can find it under mavic , you should also post your flight logs. Just go to link below and follow instructions and come back here and post the link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2022-9-15
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204222 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

It's programmed to go to certain height in the Return to home settings. And you need to keep in mind that wind might be stronger the higher it goes it could have been just the wind taking the drone with it.
2022-9-15
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

the software is stupid... decades ago.. DJI proven once again that is cr@@p... I bought the Action 2 and was a complete fail.. it was boiling almost got fire at the hands of a baby... the baby was screaming and crying.
same here. This software is total zero. the system has not a base logic.. it was writing "cannot land on this surface" but was keep going down and ignoring my commands.
The RTH was not only going higher but more far... away from me... i canceled it and tried to bring it to me but it was just rotating around. It was not the wind, it was something pulling it.
then it decided to land to the lake despite the stupid software could see that cannot land...
All this make me feel that the product is designed in a way that might be dangerous at the end of the day...
I am expecting DJI to take a position on this; in any case I will proceed with legal action if they don't replace it.
And in many countries, it's time to reconsider the meaning of Danger.
2022-9-15
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

You should upload the log. I bet RTH altitude was set high, and you didn't wait for the home point to be set properly before taking off, so it just climbed and went to the randomly set home point.

You can reset the homepoint midflight to any location you want.
2022-9-15
Use props
MAF178
Second Officer
  • >>>
Kuwait

I was scared that 1)it can fall in any head and kill people 2)

Wahaha .. DJI will make you a criminal you mean ?

2022-9-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really?  Hmn. You did awfully well to get from Greece to Thailand in 3 hours by the way.
2022-9-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Anthai. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Air 2S and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate incident happened to your DJI drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-9-15
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 9-15 14:34
You should upload the log. I bet RTH altitude was set high, and you didn't wait for the home point to be set properly before taking off, so it just climbed and went to the randomly set home point.

You can reset the homepoint midflight to any location you want.

the RTH was set perfect and i tried 3 times before by RTH and then canceling. I had maybe 25+ sats too.
The RTH height was 30 m, i started going to the clouds and far from me, not only up, but opposite direction too.
2022-9-15
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

Blériot53 Posted at 9-15 18:21
Really?  Hmn. You did awfully well to get from Greece to Thailand in 3 hours by the way.

6 years yes, 3 months no The account probably opened in greece.
2022-9-15
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-15 19:35
Hello there Anthai. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Air 2S and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate incident happened to your DJI drone. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

the problem is despite the operation, the software has serious gaps. And that's a flying aircraft it's not your Action 2 which was burning kids' hands... this can kill people. It just flew away in a stupid "programmed reaction" of low battery. The battery going from 40% to 20 and 12% in seconds, the drone instead of lowering (I had it in 10 meters flying) it started going far away, wouldn't listen to the commands.
you are supposed to have automations and sensors, and the software is designed with lots of gaps in the security aspect, and I can prove it. It was "landing" to a surface that could not land, it was "seeing it" but did not allow me to control it not even to move it...
And if you youtube you'll see several similar cases.. A lot! people jump in the water just to save their drones when possible as they can't control them when they just "decide" to land on the water. It's not only mine as it proves...
2022-9-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anthai Posted at 9-15 20:45
6 years yes, 3 months no  The account probably opened in greece.

And have you published your flight log on the forum yet so that the gurus can help you with an analysis?
2022-9-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And have you published your flight log on the forum yet so that the gurus can help you with an analysis?
2022-9-15
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

Blériot53 Posted at 9-15 22:58
And have you published your flight log on the forum yet so that the gurus can help you with an analysis?

right now i do this, thanks Bleriot!!
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

Hello, here it is

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/78bee554f3231cb758b05573d994626220220916083431/f83fd1518154445eb01e11cedaff508720220916083506/0af793

Thank you!
2022-9-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anthai Posted at 9-16 00:37
Hello, here it is

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/78bee554f3231cb758b05573d994626220220916083431/f83fd1518154445eb01e11cedaff508720220916083506/0af793

No it's no use sending it to me. You should follow the instructions in Post #5 above to get a response.
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

Blériot53 Posted at 9-16 02:46
No it's no use sending it to me. You should follow the instructions in Post #5 above to get a response.

apologies, I lost you.. where I have to send it?

many thanks
2022-9-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anthai Posted at 9-16 03:44
apologies, I lost you.. where I have to send it?

many thanks

Click the link below and follow the instructions.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

thank you,
here is the result
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/25CX5H3X3ZO146NOPWBG

Thank you once again
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

the logs say bullocks... the drone left the lake area on way to the sea and came back, where is this logged? i can prove it with people that seen it. IT left far way look the attachement
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

I have people that seen it, does DJI realize that this is now extremely dangerous? I have people that seen the drone flying there out of control. In any court (which i will definitely proceed with legal action if not compensated or replaced), bringing the people that seen it flying out of control, and a couple of very important scientists from around the world, do you realize? I am a scientist too, this was out of control.
If this proven, I don't believe that drones will be allowed to fly or licensed in several countries...
2022-9-16
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

There's no way a <900g drone can kill anyone, no one in the entire world has died by a drone accident and in the entire history of RC aviation only 2 people have died, one with an RC copter and the other by an RC plane on a show... People get killed in car accidents, not in drone accidents, and everyone is still driving despite that.

That being said, let's get back to the topic.

In the log it can be seen that when RTH was engaged the drone was at 80 meters from the hompoint, so the drone started to climb to the RTH altitude that was set at 90m. While it was climbing to the RTH alt you pulled down the stick at 71m and cancelled the RTH and regained control over the drone. After that you flew it backwards, descended to 37m and then autolanding was engaged with 12% battery left. It didn't find a proper place to land, and you manually performed a 360º rotation and the flew it to the lake where sadly the battery hit 0%, and it entered the forced landing mode, and at that point the pilot has no control over it.

While the drone was trying to land on the ground it was at low altitude, so the OA may be interfering with the control of the drone, but moving to the water was a bad decision.

When auto landing is engaged the drone starts descending, but you can manually pull up and still get control over it, so you should have puledl up a bit and then let it land on the road, or just fly back home, as it was only 100m away.

I see no deviations in the batteries (brand new, only 1 charge), no problems in the control, GPS, compass, no signal loss and no hardware or software errors in that flight. When the Flyapp crashes midflight, for example, logs are usually split in two files. All that can be seen if you upload the log to UAV Airdata.

... happens from time to time, I have 470h of flight time and the other day I let the M3 go before motors were fully engaged while I was performing a takeoff from the hand, and it went down; it was not damaged because engines still managed to do a bit of thrust before "landing" on the grass... blaming the hardware for an operator fault goes nowhere. DJI drones and soft are far from perfect, but most crashes are allways pilot related.

PS: And it took around 5 minutes to go from 40% to 20%, which is normal on the Air2S.
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

thanks so much Huginn, but it flew far and it's not in the logs.. Why? And a few people seen it. It been almost over the sea, if you can see the map.

I will still insist that the software is wrong and should have protect me as operator - which didn't. it was mentioning "surface not proper for landing" but it was keep landing...

Also, I moved everything it didn't move, you can see at the video i tried to move it front and was moving back (i can send it to you).

2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

thanks so much Huginn, but it flew far and it's not in the logs.. Why? And a few people seen it. It been almost over the sea, if you can see the map.

I will still insist that the software is wrong and should have protect me as operator - which didn't. it was mentioning "surface not proper for landing" but it was keep landing...

Also, I moved everything it didn't move, you can see at the video i tried to move it front and was moving back (i can send it to you).
Additional questions 1) As i did the mistake and trusted DJI once again, and now left with 2 batteries and the controler, is it possible to buy a new drone? Only the drone without battery, i have 2 (i bought the combosh-1t).

2) As DJI proven completely unreliable from my personal aspect which other brand I can buy Drone? besides DJI

3) I am in the world of broadcast & media, scientist with 30K followers in each of my accounts; and any action from DJI will be published in only fully legal way and according to my lawyers' instructions. I am very upset with this and I feel scammed as happened when I bought Action 2... (google "DJI Action 2 hot" and you will understand)
Something similar is that one... Stupid software, RTH was changed, flying wherever it wants to fly..  If it needs Helicopter or Airplane licensed Pilot to fly it, then it's dangerous to be sold like that... And I now understand why Qatar and ME is totally dissalowing this...

and last but not least and VERY important: WHERE is the route that taken over the sea? why it has not been logged? What will happen if i bring the people that seen it there, in any court, and they state & confirm that the product flew over this area and is NOT in the logs? Because not only me, other seen it also.
2022-9-16
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Nothing suggest to me that there are errors in the log, the drone was new, compass was ok, GPS connection was perfect and battery consumption correspond to drone movements... You can even download the KMZ and view it in 3D on google earth.

When the drone is at high altitude, guessing its horizontal distance is really tricky. It happens to me every time that I pretend to fly VLOS.

If you have the fly away DJI assurance (wich I never pick) you may get another one at a discout. If not, consider buying a Mini 2 or something inexpensive to learn. If content is for the net and not for printing there's not that much difference in IQ between a Mini 2 and a Mavic 3 unless you pixel peep, and for instagram, youtube, faebook, etc compression and low resolution eats all the IQ, so they end up being basically the same.

2022-9-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

we don't believe you; can you get your witnesses to create a separate account and log in here and prove to use that they saw what happened?        
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

The Saint Posted at 9-16 05:34
we don't believe you; can you get your witnesses to create a separate account and log in here and prove to use that they saw what happened?

2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

in these cases is there any policy from DJI to replace (with the cost) only the drone unit? no remotes, no batteries, just the body. Anyone knows?
thank you all
2022-9-16
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why would you post this in the wrong forum, it’s not that difficult finding the write forum
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

Exib Posted at 9-16 07:35
Why would you post this in the wrong forum, it’s not that difficult finding the write forum

apologies which one is the right?
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

MAF178 Posted at 9-15 15:59
Wahaha .. DJI will make you a criminal you mean ?

sure.. our baby almost got fire with Action 2 hung on his head.. his chest was red and pain for long time
2022-9-16
Use props
MAF178
Second Officer
  • >>>
Kuwait

Am sure you was so worried about him. And he had a warm shower befor the Kao Ka Moo haha.
2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

MAF178 Posted at 9-16 11:53
Am sure you was so worried about him. And he had a warm shower befor the Kao Ka Moo haha.

2022-9-16
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI support told me they will call me in the next day... never received a call at all...
where are we trusting our money? total disappointment.
2022-9-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your log.

First : your RTH height setting was set to 295 feet.

At 13m4.5s you initiated RTH, baro height 19 feet, distance to home 145 feet.
Drone did a RTH at current height.
At 13m26s autolanding wich was cancelled by you.

Continue flight in T mode.

At 18m18s RTH initiated by you, at 28 feet height, distance out 267 feet.
Your AIR2S climbed to the RTH height setting. (batt % this moment 18% !)
At 18m32s at 234 feet height this RTH cancelled by you (batt % now 16% !)
RC stick input only down, so not closing in to home....
At 18m42s at 272 feet from HP RC input AFT....drone pointing towards home   so flying away from HP !!
At 18m51 AFT input stopped, at 372 feet away from HP (batt 15% !)
More AFT input.
Down input only, distance to home now 406 feet  wit 12 % batt

At 19m39s criticl low battery landing....with 12% battery level.
At 20m6s autolanding stopped, message unsafe area   at 23 feet baro height (13 VPS height) (batt 9%)
From 9 to 0% batt is just hovered and hovered.Despite RC input down, guess you did not clicked the unsafe area message away from the screen.
Finally at 0 % battery landing finished...

If you had set the RTH height lower, most likely RTH was done succesfull.
And ofcourse flying backwards away from home did not help.

If you had use the radar in the fly app : point the craft to HP and only stick forward. Check distance in app is decreasing.

So your AIR2S did not do anything wrong, you lost 'control' over the drone (backwards flying instead of forward towards home)Too low battery for the distance out = critical landing as described in the manual.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2022-9-17
Use props
Lucas626
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pilot error the way Im reading the log and don't ever attach any electronics to a baby that is just bad parenting.
2022-9-17
Use props
Anthai
lvl.2
Thailand

JJB* Posted at 9-17 11:09
Hi,

Had a look at your log.

hundreds of thanks for your time. But where is the time that left far on the other side? Plus i can assure you, the place that it srhunk was not as on the map but on the other way of the lake... because i was EXACTLY near at the point that it says that it shrunk and I was seeing the drone on the other side, near the beach side...so what is wrong here?"guess you did not clicked the unsafe area message away from the screen." no message at all at the screen for anything else than that the "surface is not proper for landing" something like that..

Last, which program / software is this one? thank you!!

2022-9-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules