Indoor Flying
7864 20 2022-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiplay
lvl.1

Slovenia

Hello, I've got my new Avata kit today, and unfortunately, the weather is really bad outdoors, so I've decided to test it indoors first after seeing many videos of how people manage to do that. Is it normal that once I set everything up, the antenna signals show 0 and only 7Mbps. I tried flying it but shortly after takeoff, it starts flying on its own and doesn't respond to the motion controller anymore.
Am I missing something or do I need to change anything in settings first? I've seen many videos of how people are inside and fly the drone indoors + outdoors, behind walls, etc., without any interference, like this real estate video for example. How is this possible?

2022-9-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there djiplay. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information. Just a friendly reminder that DJI do not recommend flying your DJI Avata indoors as the environment indoors may have interference and caused an incident and also during low light condition as the vision sensors may not work properly. DJI suggest to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the DJI Avata and check if all the functions are normal. Thank you.
2022-9-16
Use props
djiplay
lvl.1

Slovenia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-16 01:16
Hello there djiplay. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information. Just a friendly reminder that DJI do not recommend flying your DJI Avata indoors as the environment indoors may have interference and caused an incident and also during low light condition as the vision sensors may not work properly. DJI suggest to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the DJI Avata and check if all the functions are normal. Thank you.

Thanks but this is really not answering any of my questions.

photo_2022-09-16_12-28-56.jpg
2022-9-16
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The aircraft is in "Low Power State" and that is normal until you start the motors. As for flying indoors, it needs quite a bit of light to work properly and be stable.
2022-9-16
Use props
djiplay
lvl.1

Slovenia

KLRSKIR Posted at 9-16 03:26
The aircraft is in "Low Power State" and that is normal until you start the motors. As for flying indoors, it needs quite a bit of light to work properly and be stable.

Thanks, it's the same thing with GPS after turning on the motors. It flies sort of on its own then and can't control it, that's why I posted as well. Light is sufficient as well.

Are indoors meant to be flown in manual mode? I have a motion controller only so can't swap to M for now but from what I've seen from the videos, it should work in Normal and Sports as well.
2022-9-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm don't have one myself, but I like the video's you shared.
2022-9-16
Use props
stevenypd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 997910 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-16 01:16

Stop The BS Dji Why  i still spend over 15k on your drones .. smh  what if you want to do real estate videos which is what this drone is made for ,  just stop it!!!  
2022-10-27
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

djiplay Posted at 9-16 03:47
Thanks, it's the same thing with GPS after turning on the motors. It flies sort of on its own then and can't control it, that's why I posted as well. Light is sufficient as well.

Are indoors meant to be flown in manual mode? I have a motion controller only so can't swap to M for now but from what I've seen from the videos, it should work in Normal and Sports as well.

If acting outside too, try re-bind your controller with aircraft via DJI app. Are you using RC 2 or Motion controller?

I did fly my Avata on my own house with RC 2,  fully furnished, and not a glitch...no GPS and a huge refrigerator on at kitchen, no magnetic problems either.

What will get the Avata off normal is the kind of floor you have, like, if it is tile or marble very reflective that will be a recipe for a disaster
2022-10-27
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Have you been able to solve your problems in the meantime...?     
2022-10-28
Use props
R1d3rBul
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Hi man,

Did you solve the problem?
Today I faced the same problem, it freeze on 7mbps doesnt mater if its near me, or 20-50m eigher 300m.
2022-12-13
Use props
mpoczynek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11693 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I had a number of flights inside a house yesterday, and the Avata lost control and went crazy multiple times.  It is like it is confused because the GPS is all over the place or non-existent.  Is there something I need to do to fly inside?  After all, I thought that was one of the main purposes for the Avata, regardless of some comments from DJI and other.  Totally confused.
2022-12-27
Use props
freedom2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519747 ft
France

Hi,
I have flawn my avata 3 times indoor. And everything was fine even inside my basement when I was sitting outide my house. Perfect flight !
2022-12-27
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

mpoczynek Posted at 12-27 05:24
I had a number of flights inside a house yesterday, and the Avata lost control and went crazy multiple times.  It is like it is confused because the GPS is all over the place or non-existent.  Is there something I need to do to fly inside?  After all, I thought that was one of the main purposes for the Avata, regardless of some comments from DJI and other.  Totally confused.

I'm not sure where you read/heard that the Avata is "made for" indoor flying ?
I really think it's not. If you try and fly it inside, it may work or it might not...
2022-12-30
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

mpoczynek Posted at 2022-12-27 05:24
I had a number of flights inside a house yesterday, and the Avata lost control and went crazy multiple times.  It is like it is confused because the GPS is all over the place or non-existent.  Is there something I need to do to fly inside?  After all, I thought that was one of the main purposes for the Avata, regardless of some comments from DJI and other.  Totally confused.

Mine does the same thing.  May fly just fine or may start drifting and fly into the walls.  I did a real estate video today and flew down the street into the front door through the main floor out the back over the golf course and back into the house.  I then went up and over a loft and when flying through the upstairs bathroom it went out of control and hit the wall and crashed.  I restarted it and flew it out but after that crash it was very unstable.  Once back outside it flew perfect again.  Wonder what the deal is?
2023-1-6
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TravisSRT Posted at 1-6 15:27
Mine does the same thing.  May fly just fine or may start drifting and fly into the walls.  I did a real estate video today and flew down the street into the front door through the main floor out the back over the golf course and back into the house.  I then went up and over a loft and when flying through the upstairs bathroom it went out of control and hit the wall and crashed.  I restarted it and flew it out but after that crash it was very unstable.  Once back outside it flew perfect again.  Wonder what the deal is?

Magnetic interference or the type of surface of the floor, must have contrast and no reflex
2023-1-6
Use props
GrifoPT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 941732 ft
Portugal

When indoor without GPS The only way the drone can position itself without drifting is with the downward vision sistem sensor,but for this to work properly it needs to have reference points,if the floor is just One color(reflective even worse) or is poorly iluminated it Will have trouble to position itself. Having objects on the floor Will help with monochromatic floor and a led facing downwards will help with poorly ilumination (just don't block the vision system .Also there is a height limit for the vision system to work (5 meters if Im not mystaken)
2023-1-31
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

why keep saying this thing is not for indoor flying?

Just watch the promo video on the website.... they fly inside (and not always with good lighting).
with the text: "Fly in places previously impossible".

only remark on the website is:
** When flying indoors, some features may be limited due to insufficient lighting, no GPS signal, or lack of space.

so if you go by the advertising of this thing, it IS for indoor flying.

i flew mine inside a couple of times (would love some good weather so i can go outside). in N mode, with the fpv Rc2. No problem whatsoever.
and i also flew on places with low light.
2023-2-1
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

On site, DJI advise the props guard and sensors as a safety features to fly indoor.

"In addition to the built-in propeller guard, Avata features downward binocular vision and ToF infrared sensing for even greater safety. These sensors detect obstacles below and allow Avata to perform low-altitude or indoor flight."
2023-2-6
Use props
saiful_suffian
New

Malaysia

HDPS Posted at 2022-10-27 21:39
If acting outside too, try re-bind your controller with aircraft via DJI app. Are you using RC 2 or Motion controller?

I did fly my Avata on my own house with RC 2,  fully furnished, and not a glitch...no GPS and a huge refrigerator on at kitchen, no magnetic problems either.

Hi, just want to check. I fly avata using Normal mode but not stable.
Speed is very slow because i`m not confident enough.
If you dont mind, can your share any tips or tricks for indoor flight ?

Thanks
2023-2-13
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

saiful_suffian Posted at 2-13 22:47
Hi, just want to check. I fly avata using Normal mode but not stable.
Speed is very slow because i`m not confident enough.
If you dont mind, can your share any tips or tricks for indoor flight ?

Hello,

Your Avata should be stable, unless if it is on very high wind situation. I would calibrate everything and check  it without any wind or magnetic interference, Avata should hold position steady.

If you are not  enough confident yet, avoid confined small places or fly indoors for now.  Generally flying indoors you will lose GPS signal, Avata still it will hold stable altitude, will not be bouncing up and down like regular quads. Avoid touching the walls or anything else because Avata Flight Control will go berserk trying to recover without GPS.  Also, make sure that the floor is not reflective and has contrast so bottom sensor can properly work. A floor with gloss tile with one color only would not be good for example.
2023-2-14
Use props
djiuser_IKtU5m3YH3oP
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HDPS Posted at 2-14 14:08
Hello,

Your Avata should be stable, unless if it is on very high wind situation. I would calibrate everything and check  it without any wind or magnetic interference, Avata should hold position steady.

GPS is a driver, in RTH for example.
Inside the IMU should be primary stabilization, especially if the cameras see darkness / no good matches / many IR dots.
2023-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules