DJI Mini 3 RC Firmware update - Total GAME CHANGER - Is it safe and stable?
12Next >
4066 75 2022-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mini 3 RC Firmware update - Total GAME CHANGER - Is it safe and stable?
Seems to be a big improvement.  

2022-9-17
Use props
sh0wtime_FPV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209547 ft
United Kingdom

Total game changer?

the dude just said that it "still flew OK" after update?

as "total game changers" go i'd call that incremental at best....

However thankyou DJI for the ongoing improvements and bug fixes
2022-9-17
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

getting views from forum eh, pff
2022-9-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

After the issues with v.1.7.4 on the RC Pro I think I'll hold off a bit longer on updating to that version on the RC.  
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-17 06:31
After the issues with v.1.7.4 on the RC Pro I think I'll hold off a bit longer on updating to that version on the RC.

Gavins got his review dropping later.  
2022-9-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-17 06:31
After the issues with v.1.7.4 on the RC Pro I think I'll hold off a bit longer on updating to that version on the RC.

It always baffles me how updates always seem to benefit some but inconvenience or hamper others.  You'd think it would affect everyone the same.
2022-9-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 06:59
Gavins got his review dropping later.

It will be interesting to see what his test reveals.  
2022-9-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 9-17 07:10
It always baffles me how updates always seem to benefit some but inconvenience or hamper others.  You'd think it would affect everyone the same.

It is interesting how it effects some and not others and is not just regionalized as it seems you could be located anywhere.  Never have figured out the some work and some don't scenario.
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-17 07:21

Yes. But compared to the smart controller running this version it looked very smooth.  A total game changer.  
2022-9-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-17 07:24
It is interesting how it effects some and not others and is not just regionalized as it seems you could be located anywhere.  Never have figured out the some work and some don't scenario.

I find myself wondering if it's the difference between downloading direct via Wifi (which I invariably do) or whether those downloading via the DJI Assistant are the ones who have the problems?  Just an impression I get.  I've never used the Assistant since my first experience of it 5 years ago mucking up a download to the Phantom4.
2022-9-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 07:38
Yes. But compared to the smart controller running this version it looked very smooth.  A total game changer.

It sure did look smooth.  
2022-9-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 9-17 08:20
I find myself wondering if it's the difference between downloading direct via Wifi (which I invariably do) or whether those downloading via the DJI Assistant are the ones who have the problems?  Just an impression I get.  I've never used the Assistant since my first experience of it 5 years ago mucking up a download to the Phantom4.

Like you, I always try to update firmware via the Fly App if at all possible.  If that fails then I might try Assistant 2.  I had a firmware fail using Assistant 2 back on the Mavic Air 2.  Never could get it updated via Fly App or any method.  Had to send it in to DJI for replacement.  Seems lots of issues with firmware updates recently on the Mini 3 Pro using Assisstant 2 which resulted in their drones being grounded until a temp fix was found. Several had to send their drones in for replacement.  
2022-9-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I cannot see the GAME CHANGER part, I updated it yesterday and it's the exact same, I was hoping for an improvement on the RC indicator on the radar but that's a BIG NOPE, still pants, also as seen in mateys video. I also applied FCCand sent it didn't quite hit the 1.5 this time, only 1.2 or was it 1.3, can't remember now, That could be down to anything though but suffice it to say, the radar certainly didn't help much, only in the "general direction". and that was ATFER I forced a calibration, gonna do a new post so it's seen but the staff as it's becoming most tiresome and ruining the experience, well, certainly for me.
2022-9-17
Use props
Amit Dunsky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1083205 ft
Israel

Learning from other's experience, I never update a firmware - be that the drone or the RC - until some early adopters post their reviews. Speaking of that, Watching Gavin's outlook on this upgrade, it seems that  the only games changer is the need to learn Chinese, as apparently DJI left some text untranslated.
A game changer for me would have been an update of the sliders: I would love to see the possibility of keying in the values (such as max flight height, RTH height, etc.) instead of using my thumb to try and hit the desired value.
2022-9-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-17 14:38
Like you, I always try to update firmware via the Fly App if at all possible.  If that fails then I might try Assistant 2.  I had a firmware fail using Assistant 2 back on the Mavic Air 2.  Never could get it updated via Fly App or any method.  Had to send it in to DJI for replacement.  Seems lots of issues with firmware updates recently on the Mini 3 Pro using Assisstant 2 which resulted in their drones being grounded until a temp fix was found. Several had to send their drones in for replacement.

That might tend to confirm my observations regarding using the Assistant. I'll stick to Wifi  when I do eventually update
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-17 19:52
I cannot see the GAME CHANGER part, I updated it yesterday and it's the exact same, I was hoping for an improvement on the RC indicator on the radar but that's a BIG NOPE, still pants, also as seen in mateys video. I also applied FCCand sent it didn't quite hit the 1.5 this time, only 1.2 or was it 1.3, can't remember now, That could be down to anything though but suffice it to say, the radar certainly didn't help much, only in the "general direction". and that was ATFER I forced a calibration, gonna do a new post so it's seen but the staff as it's becoming most tiresome and ruining the experience, well, certainly for me.

If you saw how badly 1.7.4 runs on other devices like the Smart Controller it would certainly seem like a game changer.  
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 9-17 22:30
That might tend to confirm my observations regarding using the Assistant. I'll stick to Wifi  when I do eventually update

The DJI Assistant has been bricking devices with a 30064 error message so might be best to stick to Wifi.
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amit Dunsky Posted at 9-17 20:27
Learning from other's experience, I never update a firmware - be that the drone or the RC - until some early adopters post their reviews. Speaking of that, Watching Gavin's outlook on this upgrade, it seems that  the only games changer is the need to learn Chinese, as apparently DJI left some text untranslated.
A game changer for me would have been an update of the sliders: I would love to see the possibility of keying in the values (such as max flight height, RTH height, etc.) instead of using my thumb to try and hit the desired value.

Its a tricky one for sure,  our CAA has guidance that we should check and apply software updates before each flight.
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-17 07:21

I think I posted his review earlier,  He seemed to think it was a solid upgrade apart from some Chinese text left behind.  
2022-9-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 23:13
Its a tricky one for sure,  our CAA has guidance that we should check and apply software updates before each flight.

I really think the CAA would understand when the find out there are issues with the latest FW
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-17 23:15
I really think the CAA would understand when the find out there are issues with the latest FW

But then you have people that never update as it works just fine as it is mentality who could be years out of date and then that does cause an issue.  And with this update the only issue is some cosmeric chineese text,  well at least so far.    Unlike the smart controller with this version that hangs and lags all over the place and at times crashes.
2022-9-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 23:12
The DJI Assistant has been bricking devices with a 30064 error message so might be best to stick to Wifi.

I don't even have the DJI Assistant on my computer. I always go the Wifi route
2022-9-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 9-18 00:01
I don't even have the DJI Assistant on my computer. I always go the Wifi route

Same here Mr B.  
2022-9-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was going to run the Dawn Patrol this morning but it's gloomy and damp so I didn't bother.
2022-9-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 9-18 00:06
I was going to run the Dawn Patrol this morning but it's gloomy and damp so I didn't bother.

Its quite pleasant here,  supposed to be doing a little 7 mile river/canal walk this morning if SHMBO'd ever gets up.
2022-9-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-18 00:11
Its quite pleasant here,  supposed to be doing a little 7 mile river/canal walk this morning if SHMBO'd ever gets up.

Mrs.B put in an appearsance, looked out the window and went straight back to bed  
2022-9-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 23:23
But then you have people that never update as it works just fine as it is mentality who could be years out of date and then that does cause an issue.  And with this update the only issue is some cosmeric chineese text,  well at least so far.    Unlike the smart controller with this version that hangs and lags all over the place and at times crashes.

Sorry, i wasnt a clear as i should have been, what i mean is, if there are issues with the latest version then i don't think the CAA would have any issues if you was to hold off. Of course, it goes without saying that not to update from the get go is perhaps not the best way to go. It wouldnt look good in court that's for sure
2022-9-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-18 00:21
Sorry, i wasnt a clear as i should have been, what i mean is, if there are issues with the latest version then i don't think the CAA would have any issues if you was to hold off. Of course, it goes without saying that not to update from the get go is perhaps not the best way to go. It wouldnt look good in court that's for sure

Have you seen - https://register-drones.caa.co.u ... g-every-flight-safe

No idea if there is any enforcement of it though.  
2022-9-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 9-18 00:19
Mrs.B put in an appearsance, looked out the window and went straight back to bed

oh thats not good,   mine wanted a cooked breakfast this morning,    but shes not getting that now,
2022-9-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-18 00:26
oh thats not good,   mine wanted a cooked breakfast this morning,    but shes not getting that now,

Rain is in for the day. The central heating has even kicked in with the drop in temperature,
No droning today
2022-9-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-18 00:25
Have you seen - https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/making-every-flight-safe

No idea if there is any enforcement of it though.

Yes, but like i said, if there was an issue with the latest version, there's no way the CAA would hold you to account if you didn't update it, it could fall under "being reckless" if you was to update software with known bugs that could affect the flight.

Personally, and whilst i prefer to be up to date myself, i don't think its 100% set in stone, all it says is

Check any built-in software is up to date

It could be a tad ambiguous as it does not state that you must be using the latest, it just says to check it, not what to do if its not up to date, a wee loophole that could be used should there be issues with the latest software and you decide not to update.
2022-9-18
Use props
Amit Dunsky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1083205 ft
Israel

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 23:23
But then you have people that never update as it works just fine as it is mentality who could be years out of date and then that does cause an issue.  And with this update the only issue is some cosmeric chineese text,  well at least so far.    Unlike the smart controller with this version that hangs and lags all over the place and at times crashes.

I don't think it is possible to "never update", as some firmware updates are forced updates. I can only assume the anticipated Remote ID firmware will be a forced update.
2022-9-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 9-17 22:30

Don't blame you one bit.  Assistant 2 is a last resort use for me after the Mavic Air 2 fiasco.  
2022-9-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amit Dunsky Posted at 9-18 02:27
I don't think it is possible to "never update", as some firmware updates are forced updates. I can only assume the anticipated Remote ID firmware will be a forced update.

As long as you do t connect the controller to the internet you’ll never even know there’s an update, the only update they can force is during activation.
2022-9-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-18 00:47
Yes, but like i said, if there was an issue with the latest version, there's no way the CAA would hold you to account if you didn't update it, it could fall under "being reckless" if you was to update software with known bugs that could affect the flight.

Personally, and whilst i prefer to be up to date myself, i don't think its 100% set in stone, all it says is

It does go on to say

Keeping this software up to date will also help to protect against cyber attacks.

Follow the instructions to update the built-in software (firmware). Always check that the software has updated correctly before going flying.

And how would you know the new version had bugs DJI don’t publish that officially.
2022-9-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-17 23:15
I think I posted his review earlier,  He seemed to think it was a solid upgrade apart from some Chinese text left behind.

Yes, his video convinced me to go ahead and upgrade.
2022-9-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-18 05:02
Don't blame you one bit.  Assistant 2 is a last resort use for me after the Mavic Air 2 fiasco.

Me too. Once bitten......twice shy .
2022-9-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 9-18 00:40
Rain is in for the day. The central heating has even kicked in with the drop in temperature,
No droning today

Not that cold here yet,  although I will admit to wearing a light fleece this morning when I missed a great sunrise.    Nice 8 mile walk yesterday but too windy at the location to fly so just took the IR camera along for it.  
2022-9-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-18 05:32
Yes, his video convinced me to go ahead and upgrade.

How's it been,   Im, thinking of doing the same.  
2022-9-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 9-18 06:38
Me too. Once bitten......twice shy .

Better safe, than sorry.  

Getting cold over your way yet?  Seems like an early start to winter here for the Mid-Central states with that super cold front dropping down out of Canada.  
2022-9-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules