Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

UPDATE:
MORE REPORTS OF PROP FAILURES HAVE BEEN REPORTED; WITH FACTORY INSTALLED T-MOUNTSCREWS.
DJI PROPS SEEM TO BE DEFECTIVE, BE VERY CAREFUL HOW AND WHERE YOU FLY. RISK IS HIGH.

UPDATE: MOST LIKELY CAUSE IS THE T-MOUNT PROPS WERE TOO TIGHT. BE CAREFULL NOT TO OVER-TIGHTEN.

~ Thanks to bp328i for the answer.

-------------------------------------------------------

Today I was flying and
lightly bumped a wood pillar at a park and a prop split in 2 and the Avata dropped about 4 feet to the ground. (see video)
I replaced the prop and it flies ok, but now l can hear the right rear ESC humming a different tune during idle.  Being cautious, I think I should get it replaced before it completely fails.  Apparently these things are not as durable as I thought.

From Avata AC

From Goggles 2

Cheap or defective props?  Be careful folks... could just be a fluke or maybe not.  Perhaps DJI or an aftermarket company will build some more reliable props soon?

Broken-Prop

Broken-Prop

gonzo

gonzo
2022-9-18
Use props
StuntJumper Ste
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56949 ft
United Kingdom

Contact after sales support, its what I did to get a replacement part.
2022-9-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StuntJumper Ste Posted at 9-18 14:41
Contact after sales support, its what I did to get a replacement part.

Nope could not get parts for this. I have to send it in now. ESC's are not self service apparently.

2022-9-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bob Brown. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Avata, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-9-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-18 19:08
Hello there Bob Brown. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Avata, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

I have a repair case in... just waiting on them to request the AC and get a label to ship it out for repair.
Just seems odd the way this happened... the rear left prop literally fell apart after a small side bump causing the AC to fall and get even more damage. Hopefully we get better Avata props that are more reliable than this... I can't fly an aircraft with bumpers intended to bump into things that use "glass" props that fall apart.  

Thanks Stephen!
2022-9-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Bob Brown Posted at 9-19 02:09
I have a repair case in... just waiting on them to request the AC and get a label to ship it out for repair.
Just seems odd the way this happened... the rear left prop literally fell apart after a small side bump causing the AC to fall and get even more damage. Hoepfully we get better Avata props that are more reliable than this... I can't fly an aircraft with bumpers intended to bump into things that use "glass" props that fall apart.  

Hi there Bob Brown. Thank you for the reply and for this given update. If you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you.
2022-9-19
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just found out that DJI is fixing the damage for free. Thanks DJI!
~ I miss my Avata. Evenings have been really BORING lately.

DJI Repair Progress

DJI Repair Progress

DJI Quotation

DJI Quotation
2022-9-23
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Will they actually fix it and return or send a refirb/new one? Anyone know the norm?
2022-9-23
Use props
JDBull
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917054 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same thing happen on my maiden flight out of box.  I did a first flight pre-check and made sure the prop screws were tight before takeoff and only went out in backyard to get the feel of it when all the sudden it just flipped and dropped out of the sky.    Luckily I was only 6-8' high, 50-75 yards away when it "landed" in tall grass.  When I found it I noticed the rear right prop gone and was unable to locate the missing prop or any pieces. When I looked closely I could see the screws still tightly in place and thought how did the prop just disappear?

Now I have low confidence in the props even after 20+ flights wondering when it will happen again.  To top it off, my drone only kit only came with one of each prop and everywhere is out of props until October although I haven't looked in a few days.

Also have not noticed anything with the ESC's.  What should I look for?
2022-9-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

JDBull Posted at 9-23 15:54
I had the same thing happen on my maiden flight out of box.  I did a first flight pre-check and made sure the prop screws were tight before takeoff and only went out in backyard to get the feel of it when all the sudden it just flipped and dropped out of the sky.    Luckily I was only 6-8' high, 50-75 yards away when it "landed" in tall grass.  When I found it I noticed the rear right prop gone and was unable to locate the missing prop or any pieces. When I looked closely I could see the screws still tightly in place and thought how did the prop just disappear?

Now I have low confidence in the props even after 20+ flights wondering when it will happen again.  To top it off, my drone only kit only came with one of each prop and everywhere is out of props until October although I haven't looked in a few days.

Hi, there. We are greatly sorry to hear about that. For this situation, you are advised to contact our team via support@dji.com and send it back for further testing. Thank you.
2022-9-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Bob Brown Posted at 9-23 12:19
Just found out that DJI is fixing the damage for free. Thanks DJI!
~ I miss my Avata. Evenings have been really BORING lately.

Sorry for your inconvenience. Hope you can receive it ASAP.
2022-9-23
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kandomere Posted at 9-23 22:34
the admins are so annoying. they do not help at all.

That's not true at all. They are always helpful if they can. Some things are just out of their control and they do not have the "tools" to help you, so they direct you to the correct team. That IS helpful.  

In my experience they have always been helpful, just not alwas dthe answer you want to hear.
2022-9-24
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 9-23 19:32
Sorry for your inconvenience. Hope you can receive it ASAP.

No appologies; "stuff" happens. This is a new product and there are going to be defects and issues.  I truly appreciate your concern about the issue and caring enough to say something. Hopefully these issues are a fluke with bad materials; quickly resolved and nobody gets injured.
2022-9-24
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I had the same thing happen on my maiden flight out of box.  I did a first flight pre-check and made sure the prop screws were tight before takeoff and only went out in backyard to get the feel of it when all the sudden it just flipped and dropped out of the sky.    Luckily I was only 6-8' high, 50-75 yards away when it "landed" in tall grass.  When I found it I noticed the rear right prop gone and was unable to locate the missing prop or any pieces. When I looked closely I could see the screws still tightly in place and thought how did the prop just disappear?

Now I have low confidence in the props even after 20+ flights wondering when it will happen again.  To top it off, my drone only kit only came with one of each prop and everywhere is out of props until October although I haven't looked in a few days.

Here is another video I found that appears to be similar. Broken prop actually caused major damage during a flight in China.

2022-9-24
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Getting the replacement Avata back on Friday!  
Fear also made me purchased 2 years of Care Refresh. (upto 3 replacements w/1 Fly away)
2022-9-27
Use props
fans93492ae5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 486503 ft
Brazil

So DJI, when are you going to fix this issue?
2022-10-1
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans93492ae5 Posted at 10-1 21:07
So DJI, when are you going to fix this issue?

I have pondered this for quite some time and the best answer is that they do care about the issue, but if defects / reports are super low then this will not get much attention.  
2022-10-2
Use props
fansb977d194
New

Germany

I had the same thing happen on my maiden flight out of box.  I did a first flight pre-check and made sure the prop screws were tight before takeoff and only went out in backyard to get the feel of it when all the sudden it just flipped and dropped out of the sky.    Luckily I was only 6-8' high, 50-75 yards away when it "landed" in tall grass.  When I found it I noticed the rear right prop gone and was unable to locate the missing prop or any pieces. When I looked closely I could see the screws still tightly in place and thought how did the prop just disappear?

Now I have low confidence in the props even after 20+ flights wondering when it will happen again.  To top it off, my drone only kit only came with one of each prop and everywhere is out of props until October although I haven't looked in a few days.

Hey,

I had the same. Flying at 30meters 2! Props where gone, luckily not over water. Avata crashed and the screws being on place. This should not happen. Sorry for my english. Greetings from Germany
2022-10-6
Use props
bp328i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124590 ft
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 10-2 04:56
I have pondered this for quite some time and the best answer is that they do care about the issue, but if defects / reports are super low then this will not get much attention.  

As the pilot it is my responsibility to inspect the props before, during flights as well as after any crashes.

I don't think this happened because of them being cheap or a fluke. This is just a common fail point on T-Mount props. Make sure they are sung but not overtightened.

If too tight a very light crash and they split in two. I've had so many props break like this over the years it's not even funny. I've had them on too tight before and have had props explode on a full power launch.

Whenever I build or buy a new quad I always buy 4 sets of extra props for it. Whenever I make an order from one of the many FPV sites I'll always add a few sets of props to the order, nothing worse then breaking a prop and having to wait a few days to fly for new ones to be delivered. I have a 24" x 16" x 6" tote full of props.   

In addition I see you keep referring to ESC and the screws. The ESC or "Electronic Speed Controller" is inside the Avata and only accessible if you take it apart. Are you meaning the motors?  

2022-10-6
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bp328i Posted at 10-6 21:18
I don't think this happened because of them being cheap or a fluke. This is just a common fail point on T-Mount props. Make sure they are sung but not overtightened.

If too tight a very light crash and they split in two. I've had so many props break like this over the years it's not even funny. I've had them on too tight before and have had props explode on a full power launch.

Good info! Thanks for that.   ESC = Yeah I meant the motors. I know those are not supposed to be over-tightened  but did not know the props were sensitive also.
2022-10-7
Use props
Cauffy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36752 ft
United Kingdom

I suppose if you hit a solid object, the prop guard (frame) will move and probably come into contact with the propeller. as soon as they do there is a chance they will split due to speed the props are running. Just a thought.
2022-10-7
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cauffy Posted at 10-7 06:34
I suppose if you hit a solid object, the prop guard (frame) will move and probably come into contact with the propeller. as soon as they do there is a chance they will split due to speed the props are running. Just a thought.

Was such a light tap... barely touched it. The prop guards did not flex and hit the prop.  The answer is that perhaps the prop screws were too tight. I recall tightening them during pre-flight days before. This is most likely the cause. @bp328i hit it on the head.
2022-10-7
Use props
AFlying Penguin
New
Flight distance : 18373 ft
Canada

Same happened to me!
2022-10-10
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

There are some new props available! I have been using the orange Drone Tech props that come with screws. So far they have been great.

2022-11-1
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have been running these 2925 DJI AVATA DroneTech props now for about 10 flights, no issues. Came with screws also.
Other options are also available (HQ above), but honetsly I feel much safer with these installed. I no longer trust DJI props.

I am seeing more and more reports of props just falling apart in the sky... this is DANGEROUS DJI!  
Someone is going to get sued for damages/injuries and this product defect is a huge liability.

2022-11-4
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Bob Brown Posted at 11-4 05:52
I have been running these 2925 DJI AVATA DroneTech props now for about 10 flights, no issues. Came with screws also.
Other options are also available (HQ above), but honetsly I feel much safer with these installed. I no longer trust DJI props.

The way I see....still have to determine if the problem is the prop or they were overtightened at factory.??

Also, a question to a Mod, - Will DJI nuke the warranty if not using the DJI original props?
2022-11-4
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Drone Tech props are awesome in my opinion. Here is a test I did with them.

2022-11-4
Use props
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

carrot
check out the props in this short on youtube!
2022-11-4
Use props
drones_bulgaria
lvl.3
Bulgaria

Reading all of this. It looks to me like most are overtightened. This may cause cracks and then failure.
2022-11-4
Use props
drones_bulgaria
lvl.3
Bulgaria

MisterSpyezFPV Posted at 11-4 08:27
carrot
check out the props in this short on youtube!

If this is the reality.. it proves the theory of overtightening either from the factory or from the users.
2022-11-4
Use props
tommyboynice
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi, I just had a similar incident. I did not hit anything, I was ending the flight, about to grab the drone, then there was a bang. I turned the drone upside down and one propeller was gone. I am just reaching out to DJI support. I was lucky it did not happen 3 minutes earlier when I was flying over the ocean. I am a bit anxious now about flying it.
2023-1-3
Use props
Cellonet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5014331 ft
Brazil

My Avata fell into the water, in the last frames of the goggle video you can see the broken propeller flying away. I couldn't find it, just a piece of a propeller floating in the sea.

2023-1-30
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

scary....

i am trying to find out what the best props are to use with the stock motors.
Dronetech then???

Are the dronetechs that are on aliexpress really dronetechs? Or a cheap clone?
Otherwise i have to buy them in the US, and then i have to pay a lot of custom costs....
I live in the EU, can't vind a EU seller for these.
2023-1-30
Use props
Fpvskip
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52772 ft
United States

BadBert Posted at 1-30 06:54
scary....

i am trying to find out what the best props are to use with the stock motors.

When I received my Avata about 2 weeks ago, I loosened the prop screws and tightened them again very gentle. The original factory torque was way too high for my taste. Did some speedy flying and nothing happened. But still . . . I got myself the DroneTech orange props and put them on. Just in case . . .
2023-1-30
Use props
dvv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 443537 ft
Mexico

Seems same for me - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=284252

but it was high in the mountains and i loose it completely
2023-1-31
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

And I was going to purchase the after market Drone Tech props mentioned above but halted the purchase when I saw the multiple Amazon one stars reviews saying that the props chattered on first flights. Besides, I am not sure if DJI will honor any warranty or DJI Care knowing that the props are not DJI brand.  So, I am staying with the original props it come with it.
2023-1-31
Use props
SanchesRaul
lvl.1
Flight distance : 364577 ft
Brazil

I had 2 similar falls in a short time the second fall the propeller protectors did not hold and in some parts it cracked I can't understand drone new propeller fell from the sky it wasn't yaw tumble it wasn't a collision it simply lost support because the propeller broke in flight or was it esc desync which would also be a technical problem
of the drone and not operational I would like to receive a propeller protector and new good quality propellers that do not break in flight I am disappointed with the money spent due to lack of quality

Log fall 1
https://app.airdata.com/share/zeNags
Log fall 2
https://app.airdata.com/share/MpMFlf
2023-2-4
Use props
Lucas626
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

You hit a wood while flying then you blame the drone for breaking a prop
2023-2-5
Use props
SanchesRaul
lvl.1
Flight distance : 364577 ft
Brazil

Lucas626 Posted at 2-5 18:51

I didn't hit anywhere it was left desync you sucker
2023-2-6
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas626 Posted at 2-5 18:51

Hey Lucas! LTNS.
Nobody that I am ware of hit wood. In the video I lost control and lightly tapped the pavilion; that was enough to send the (already) broken prop a fly'n. The drop to the ground (concrete) did the most of the damage. I think the prop broke on the turn and that's when it lost control and veered into the pole a bit.

These (gen1?) DJI Avata props just ramdomly break in flight; I just got lucky I was only a few feet off the ground and DJI covered the damages since the logs only showed impact after the prop broke. Video helps I think.  There are many accounts of this happening now... DJI still not admitting but honoring warranty claims from damages from prop breaks. I use HQ props now if you missed it... no issues. none.

2023-2-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules