2431 14 2022-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
T3lmuf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3619131 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I've been flying my new Avata for a few days, and even though I love it, I almost crashed yesterday due to some weird behavior. I was flying in Manual Mode all the time, and when I was about to do the turn you see in the video, the drone automatically tilted down for some reason and recovered itself really close to the water without me doing anything. I don't think I pressed the break button and certainly that strange tilt was not caused by me, if anything I would say it was due to the aerodynamics of a cinewhoop style chassis.
What do you think? Have you experienced anything similar before?

And yes... That was a close call...
2022-9-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there T3lmuf. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try flying your DJI Avata to a different location to see if the issue will persist? The DJI Avata's sensors might be affected by the reflection of the sun on the body of water where you have flew your DJI Drone. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2022-9-19
Use props
New2Mini2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3895528 ft
Canada

Whoa! That would have scared the crap out me. Wind can throw the avata around pretty easily, but it looks like you had zero wind. Did you check your flight log for signal anomalies?
2022-9-19
Use props
T3lmuf
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

No signals anomalies whatsoever. And judging by some videos in Youtube, it seems I'm not the only one with the issue, please DJI take a deeper look and fix it ASAP. This is quite dangerous!

2022-9-21
Use props
mattbrad2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47087 ft

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-19 00:26
Hello there T3lmuf. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try flying your DJI Avata to a different location to see if the issue will persist? The DJI Avata's sensors might be affected by the reflection of the sun on the body of water where you have flew your DJI Drone. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Strange, since the sensors are supposed to be disabled while in manual mode. I've seen quite a number of videos with this exact issue. Definitely a bug.
2022-9-21
Use props
PROPELLA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189265 ft
Germany

Look at my my Reddit post: (https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/comments/x7iof0/wtf_did_happend_mid_air_with_my_avata/)

The Internet is full of this Bug.. DJI gives a ... about it.

After contacting the support and sending them the blackbox-data with the video: DJI says theres no problem.
This tells me: DJI doesnt fly there own Drone in manual and do sharp turns...
2022-9-21
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could be ‘rotor vortex ring’ at play, more likely in low wind conditions, especially in the hover, all rotor craft can run into this problem including full sized helicopters. There's a fair bit of info on Google if you want to see the physics behind it.

Flying forward avoids this as you don’t end up in your own vortex created by the props. The Avata IMU may be reacting unexpectedly once it’s encountered. This would explain some of the odd crashes that have been seen.

Increasing power without pushing forwards will make it worse.
2022-9-21
Use props
fansebae
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7672598 ft
  • >>>
Canada

yaw washout. not enough torque. happens when yaw and pitch and/or roll are applied at the same time enough to stall one of the motors. bf, inav, ap, etc have the same problem. no surprise there.
2022-9-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

mattbrad2 Posted at 9-21 04:37
Strange, since the sensors are supposed to be disabled while in manual mode. I've seen quite a number of videos with this exact issue. Definitely a bug.

Hi there mattbrad2. Thank you for the reply and for giving out these information and update. I will forward these information to the designated DJI Department for attention. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2022-9-21
Use props
T3lmuf
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

I can't stop finding new videos related to the same issue, please DJI do something asap.

2022-9-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that was close!
2022-9-26
Use props
keggyhander
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fansebae Posted at 9-21 12:30
yaw washout. not enough torque. happens when yaw and pitch and/or roll are applied at the same time enough to stall one of the motors. bf, inav, ap, etc have the same problem. no surprise there.

I reckon that ducted props aren't suited to yaw turns.
2022-10-1
Use props
keggyhander
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fansebae Posted at 9-21 12:30
yaw washout. not enough torque. happens when yaw and pitch and/or roll are applied at the same time enough to stall one of the motors. bf, inav, ap, etc have the same problem. no surprise there.

2022-10-1
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

keggyhander Posted at 10-1 00:57

There's something else also behind the yaw washout, otherwise all ducted drone will fall to ground, anyway only dji can tell us what is going on.Too many videos of avata falling to ground.
2022-10-3
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1655138 ft
Hong Kong

there is no strong wind for your case i am sure coz i am a boat driver as well. If there is strong wind, there is no way you can have such a calm water condition.
And again your situation is being encountered by many pilots already, hope DJI will fix it in the next firmware...
2022-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules