Maximum starting height/has anyone started over 4000m?
4234 10 2022-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jodijodi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42280 ft
Germany

We have family in South Amercia, therefore we are almost every two years in the Andes.There you are quite often over 4000m, on a quite average hike or on several main roads in the mountains.
So the official 4000m limit of the Mini 3 is definitely not enough.
My Mavic 2 Pro was already flying without any problems around 5600m and there are videos with an Mavic 2 in the Himalaya at more than 8000m. So I'm quite sure, that the Mini 3 can cope with much more than 4000m starting height/4500 maximum in good weather. But if it won't even start from 4001m on that won't help much.

I found some "hints" that already the Mini 2 started at more than 4000m. But quite small "hints" and so far I found no hint at all about that for the Mini 3.
I asked DJI Germany, but got just an official statement "4000m height limit" without any details what happens at 4001m.
It's totally ok for me if DJI rejects any warranty oder care refresh starting over 4000m/flying pver 4500m. You can have terrible conditions and gusts also at 3000m or calm weather at 6000m.
I just want to know if our small guy starts over 4000m/if anyone here already started(!) over 4000m. And if so, up to what height/is there a real staring limit at all anywhere or can you start at any height/also in 8848m (even if this dwarf won't fly there....).
And if someone already has flown it over 4500m (flying) height, how high and with what experiences?
I would need at least starting possible up to slightly over 5000m and flying up to 5500.
Fantastic would be starting up to 6300m and flying up to 6800m, but I guess that needs a Mavic 2 and the Mini 3 won't fly anymore there...
2022-9-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I just want to know if our small guy starts over 4000m/if anyone here already started(!) over 4000m. And if so, up to what height/is there a real staring limit at all anywhere or can you start at any height.

The 4000m is not a hard limit, it's a service ceiling.
The drone will fly at higher altitudes, but the performance will be degraded.
Fly higher and the air is thinner and the drone has to work harder to provide sufficient lift.
The higher you go, the more that performance is degraded..

No-one can give a height at which the drone stops flying, because there's no single number to answer that question.
4000m is a height, up to which DJI are telling you that the performance will be adequate.
Beyond that height, you are on your own.
2022-9-19
Use props
jodijodi
lvl.2
Germany

This would be totally ok for me. But until now I didn't had any garantee, that it will be at least willing to start over 4000m. DJI has not been willing to give me that statement yet.

Here in Germany I don't have the chance to test that height. And if I take it to the next visit in the Andes to find out that it won't start , it's too late (for example to return it). But as the Andes are my main use case, it won't make sense to buy it if ths isn't really sure for me.
2022-9-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jodijodi Posted at 9-19 04:39
This would be totally ok for me. But until now I didn't had any garantee, that it will be at least willing to start over 4000m. DJI has not been willing to give me that statement yet.

Here in Germany I don't have the chance to test that height. And if I take it to the next visit in the Andes to find out that it won't start , it's too late (for example to return it). But as the Andes are my main use case, it won't make sense to buy it if ths isn't really sure for me.

But as the Andes are my main use case, it won't make sense to buy it if this isn't really sure for me.

It will work ... but how well it will work depends on how high you fly and how low the atmospheric pressure is.
2022-9-19
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 9-19 04:26
I just want to know if our small guy starts over 4000m/if anyone here already started(!) over 4000m. And if so, up to what height/is there a real staring limit at all anywhere or can you start at any height.

The 4000m is not a hard limit, it's a service ceiling.

Worth adding, which hasn't been said. The drone will also have a reduced wind resistance at higher altitudes, not to mention it's usually a bit windier the higher up you go.

The drone is working so much harder to remain airborne at its service ceiling that the motors won't be able to fight wind speeds which it's usually capable of handling at ground level.
2022-9-19
Use props
jodijodi
lvl.2
Germany

As I've been quite a few times with Phatnom 3 and Mavic 2 in the Andes, I know these things.  But as I said, I've had calm weather/no brainer flights in 5000-5600m (which may have been possible as well with the Mini 3). And I had gusts in narrow valleys or at mountain edges in only 2000-2500m even in sunny wheather which have "caught" any drone of these three...
2022-9-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The Maximum ceiling level of the DJI Mini 3 Pro is 4000m for the Intelligent Flight battery and 3000m for the Intelligent Flight battery plus. If you are planning to take off above those recommended ceiling levels, we cannot guarantee that the aircraft will maintain its stability due to many reasons like the wind; the connection between the AC and RC, etc, and it is already beyond the recommended altitude. We strongly recommend flying within the recommended range and altitudes to avoid issues. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-9-19
Use props
the_hefay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358005 ft
United States

I fly in the Peruvian andes at above 4000m and the drone responds a little slower to movements due to the thinner air. That being said, I have never received any messages about motors overheating and the drone seems to be taking this "abuse" just fine.
2023-6-27
Use props
Yael Pericard
New

Norway

Great news! I have a dji mini 3 pro and I just came back from an expedition in Pakistan where I have been climbing... the Spantik! at 7027m. I bought this drone in order to make amazing shots from there, and saw on this forum that the limit was 4000m, which was hard to believe (I talk about the hardware limit, and I understood that it was only a service ceiling). So everytime I was reaching a new camp, I was pushing the limits of the drone with this 500m limit. I couldn't use it for the summit day because it was way too windy, but I got very lucky the previous days, and when we reached the camp 3, at 6400m, the weather was amazing and no wind!Therefore I made a try! so I can officially say that the mini 3 pro can at least reach 6900m! 2 things to say: The first one: I'm pretty sure it could reach easily 7000m cause under 5500m, I was flying vertically at a speed of 5m/s, but above 5500m, I could only reach 3m/s. But the drone was responding exactly the same. 2nd thing: the weather was very hot even at that altitude during the day, I think there is a day where we reached 12 degrees,so the batteries were pretty resistant. I had some issues with the white balance cause the  reflection of the light on the snow was pretty strong but it's not link with any hardware... Here are some pictures! If you have any question, you can contact me GPaTawrhaH14oRQtjWiEey+TKusV6XoF+zo2C/aizQ7WVARjksq6cqswUl7erXOjkTmFeXWJzcB8BgZd2Y51WL5f8GGaDYP03AI11GbO7ZDN4k2A0h3Gy2Evtj7CBBhzshRJz8eOccOmh6nUcAXNes3r/l9vXd81wVjxF8gDpHA06xS4aYOrBqAUemWMJUKn3eF6s/N8Cz9r34jj3X4u39/33fB4CQQON0zEYO+mVso7YmFPVSpj5K0uDyd64to8wjVWwaUCjgOE6sGlApoClmE1KDqTz5CYMgckbqAR+LxzG/wAJQwAwl2kMFQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==[/img]
2023-9-20
Use props
Yael Pericard
New

Norway

2023-9-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you have not yet synced logs with DJI it might be interesting to post the DAT flight log from the screen device, it will show motor rpm. If you have the DAT upload it to a file hosting web site, make the page public and post a link here.If you have synced then the DAT has probably been deleted.
2023-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules