Remote ID Got A 3 Month Extension
1943 14 2022-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

So...  Sept 16,2022 came and went - and the world didn't end for drone fliers.   That was the date that Remote ID was to be oficially implemented in the US.  Not surprisingly, nobody was ready and if I understand correctly the FAA still hasn't finalized “accepted means of compliance,” referring to the under-the-hood methods by which a company would comply with the performance-based requirements for remote identification of drones.  The 'NEW' date is now Dec 16, 2022.

DJI has stated that the Mini 3 will be compliant with a simple firmware update.  As I understand, DJI has not stated if the Mini 2 can be compliant with a simple firmware update, or if some kind of hardware transmitter will be required.

RID does not apply to hobby fliers, so this likely doesn't affect most Mini 2 users...  BUT if you use your Mini 2 for commercial purposes (even for non-profits such as church functions) or you post videos to a monetized YouTube account, technically RID applies even though the Mini 2 weighs less than 250g because the weight limit has nothing to do with commercial use.

Has anyone heard any updates on the Mini 2 RID compliance?  You would have thought they were aiming for the original 9/16/22 date...  I have a sneaky feeling the Mini 2 will need more than just firmware to work with RID...

Edit - Given the privacy concerns associated with RID, I wonder if DJI will provide an option to disable RID if it doesn't apply to the user (ie hobby flying) or if they will simply enable it all the time?
2022-9-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Here is the link to the official list. If a drone does not make it on this list, it will need a RID add-on module. https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs
2022-9-19
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

Are you a year too far ahead?  Sep 2023.  Did you mean 2022?
2022-9-19
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

chillibadger Posted at 9-19 09:04
Are you a year too far ahead?  Sep 2023.  Did you mean 2022?

LOL yes - 2022.  Corrected my post.

It's been a Monday.
2022-9-19
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

TomKatt Posted at 9-19 09:05
LOL yes - 2022.  Corrected my post.

It's been a Monday.

It has indeed
2022-9-19
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

The September 2022 (now Dec 2022) is the date manufacturers have to sell RID compliant drones in the US.

September 2023 is when regulations take effect that requires a drones flying to have RID in many cases.  Since the Mini 2 is no longer manufactured as a for-sale drone by DJI,  its lack of remote ID certification doesn't tell us anything.  DJI has another 12 months to update the Mini 2 and various "older" drones in the US.  I suspect we'll see plenty of drones updated by then to be compliant with a firmware update.
2022-9-19
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

Because the Mini 2 is still a current product being sold, DJI will have to make some provision enabling RID to Mini 2's sold after 12/16/22.  It seems reasonable that whatever provision DJI makes to enable RID on the Mini 2 at that time would very likely be provided to existing Mini 2 owners as well.

Edit - I guess it's possible that DJI decides that the new Mini 3 is their product offerring for 'professional' users in the < 250g weight class, and the Mini 2 is relagated to hobby flight only (legally speaking).  In other words, leave the legal compliance to the user - if they are required to have RID because they are flying for profit, then they'll need to upgrade to a Mini 3.  So DJI would not be required to provide any RID solution for the Mini 2.  Given that it will likely take some time for any enforcement authorities to gear up I doubt the "Drone Police" will be capable of doing much off the bat anyways.  Scofflaws FTW ;-)

2022-9-19
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

TomKatt Posted at 9-19 09:49
Because the Mini 2 is still a current product being sold, DJI will have to make some provision enabling RID to Mini 2's sold after 12/16/22.  It seems reasonable that whatever provision DJI makes to enable RID on the Mini 2 at that time would very likely be provided to existing Mini 2 owners as well.

Edit - I guess it's possible that DJI decides that the new Mini 3 is their product offerring for 'professional' users in the < 250g weight class, and the Mini 2 is relagated to hobby flight only (legally speaking).  In other words, leave the legal compliance to the user - if they are required to have RID because they are flying for profit, then they'll need to upgrade to a Mini 3.  So DJI would not be required to provide any RID solution for the Mini 2.  Given that it will likely take some time for any enforcement authorities to gear up I doubt the "Drone Police" will be capable of doing much off the bat anyways.  Scofflaws FTW ;-)

Agree Mini2 is still being sold by DJI, been  I have been thinking of getting another.  Is this "RID" the "ADS-B?"
2022-9-19
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 9-19 10:18
Agree Mini2 is still being sold by DJI, been  I have been thinking of getting another.  Is this "RID" the "ADS-B?"

I'm not going to claim expertise in this area, but my understanding is that ADS-B is an aircraft positional data broadcast similar to - but distinct from - Remote ID.  While both ADS-B and RID broadcast the aircraft position, RID additionally transmits the position of the pilot (controller) on the ground as well as a "digital license plate" that can be used to identify the pilot / owner.  ADS-B has been ruled to not be an acceptable solution for RID.

So, technically RID allows the public to disocver the location and possible pilot contact information of any drone they see flying that is broadcasting the RID signals.

2022-9-19
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

TomKatt Posted at 9-19 10:29
I'm not going to claim expertise in this area, but my understanding is that ADS-B is an aircraft positional data broadcast similar to - but distinct from - Remote ID.  While both ADS-B and RID broadcast the aircraft position, RID additionally transmits the position of the pilot (controller) on the ground as well as a "digital license plate" that can be used to identify the pilot / owner.  ADS-B has been ruled to not be an acceptable solution for RID.

So, technically RID allows the public to disocver the location and possible pilot contact information of any drone they see flying that is broadcasting the RID signals.

Thank you for that information, will check further with FAA.  
2022-9-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TomKatt Posted at 9-19 10:29
I'm not going to claim expertise in this area, but my understanding is that ADS-B is an aircraft positional data broadcast similar to - but distinct from - Remote ID.  While both ADS-B and RID broadcast the aircraft position, RID additionally transmits the position of the pilot (controller) on the ground as well as a "digital license plate" that can be used to identify the pilot / owner.  ADS-B has been ruled to not be an acceptable solution for RID.

I find it odd that the Avata has made that list but the goggles/remotes dont have gps so there is no way to broadcast the position of the pilot if they take off and then move which is a requirement of RID.
2022-9-20
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-20 01:14
I find it odd that the Avata has made that list but the goggles/remotes dont have gps so there is no way to broadcast the position of the pilot if they take off and then move which is a requirement of RID.

The RID rules are your typical over-complicated legalize and it's difficult to grasp all the small details...  From my reading of the FAA rules, the "control" aka "pilot" location could be considered the location at takeoff and not continuously updated should the pilot / control move afterwards.  In that case, the GPS in the drone provides the takeoff location even if the pilot moves later.  Personally, that makes no sense to me and seems to defeat half the intent of the RID rule, but I also know how our govt works and would not be shocked to discover that's perfectly acceptable.  Hard to understand the importance of take-off location when the pilot could be some distance away in a short period of time...

From this FAA link:

A drone with a remote ID broadcast module must broadcast the following message elements:
  • The serial number of the broadcast module;
  • An indication of the drone's latitude, longitude, geometric altitude, and velocity;
  • An indication of the latitude, longitude, and geometric altitude of the drone's take-off location; and
  • A time mark.

A good summary of the rules can be found at this DroneRush link

I'm just glad none of this applies to me - because as I understand it the public will have the ability to recieve and monitor all RID signals, which means that probably anyone with a smart phone will be able to identify the pilot location of any drone they observe....   Possibly right back to your residence!!!  Or, the drone serial number database may be open to the public, allowing anyone to identify the owner of the drone.  That was the big privacy concern that led to several unsuccesful lawsuits.

Edit - I imagine it will be fairly easy to show drones that were flown beyond LOS should someone bother monitoring the RID data...  Not that anyone flies beyond LOS :-)

Edit 2 - Imagine the equivalent of automated license plate readers assembled through the same network that allows things like the Apple Air Tags to be monitored....   You'll never fly without being monitored ever again...

2022-9-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. For ADS-B and Remote ID issues, please visit our official website to see the news released by DJI

ADS-B: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... new-consumer-drones

Remote ID: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... s-in-american-skies

Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-9-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TomKatt Posted at 9-20 02:36
The RID rules are your typical over-complicated legalize and it's difficult to grasp all the small details...  From my reading of the FAA rules, the "control" aka "pilot" location could be considered the location at takeoff and not continuously updated should the pilot / control move afterwards.  In that case, the GPS in the drone provides the takeoff location even if the pilot moves later.  Personally, that makes no sense to me and seems to defeat half the intent of the RID rule, but I also know how our govt works and would not be shocked to discover that's perfectly acceptable.  Hard to understand the importance of take-off location when the pilot could be some distance away in a short period of time...

From this FAA link:

Seems there are other views on that

2022-9-21
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

IDK, seems like that aligns with the whole "nobody understands it" summary...  The rules are a little vague and the delay and comments on enforcement even moreso.

For instance - that video says manufacturers must incorporate RID into drones weighing more than 250g...   Even though the RID does apply to drones weighing < 250g if they are flown for other than hobby use.  The Mini 3 is marketed as a "professional" product and DJI included RID support for it...  Grey area.

Edit - I'm a tech nerd and dabble with electronics and programming...  I found ASTM F3411.40165 that seems like the most recent techincal stardards publication available for free (why does the public have to pay for access to this?) and is quite a read for anyone else interested in the topic.  It appears as though RID will transmit over Bluetooth, WiFi or a combination of the two.  Because it's based on radio frequencies already present in the Mini 2, it seems like DJI could implement it if they want to...  Like the earlier video commented, the whole rule seems stupid, and it wouldn't surprise me if this signal could be hacked to transmit false information with a $5 board bought on eBay.  So much for "Homeland Security"...

RID4.png
2022-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules