Phantom 3 didn't come back when lost connection
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

I have been flying a couple of times with lost connection, and I always make sure my RTH attitude is enough everytime before fly, so it always come back automatically. But yesterday when I fly up to 1000m distace, it suddenly lost connection again, I didnt worry much about it as I was pretty sure it gonna come back, so I was just waiting my P3 fly back, then about 2 minutes later, images come up in my ipad and it connect again, then the Strangest Thing is: the drone still at the exact same position before it disconnected, it didn't come back home even it lost the connection!!
So luckily I could fly it back at last but I so worry now, is that failsafe function got any bugs? Or did I do anything wrong as I tried to change the RTH attitude in mid flight, whould it affact anything of it?
I have all the video and flight logs with me, wondering anyone had similar situation before or anyone can check the log for me to let me know what's the problem??
Thanks!

2015-8-8
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

perhaps you lost video connection temporarily and the controller was still connected?
2015-8-8
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-8-9 13:03
perhaps you lost video connection temporarily and the controller was still connected?

No, it wasn't just image disconnected, it was the whole control disconnected
2015-8-8
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

mykecheng Posted at 2015-8-9 13:08
No, it wasn't just image disconnected, it was the whole control disconnected

Red light on the remote?
2015-8-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I think in those moments of panic, the RC LEDs are the last thing I would think to look at.
But it's probably a good thing to remember to check, at those times if uncertainty...

RedHotPoker
2015-8-8
Use props
KaiserSoze9
First Officer
Flight distance : 35365551 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Put 'Hover' in the failsafe option?
2015-8-9
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Was it beeping and telling you it was coming home but stayed where it was? l thought it would hover and rotate for 10 seconds in an attempt to re-establish connection. Maybe it re-connected before RTH kicked in.
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

If home point was logged and the remote RC lost connection completely (red led) it comes back every time. It only knows to do that due to programming.
2015-8-9
Use props
dangtrungyb
lvl.1

Vietnam

Me too !!!the drone still at the exact same position before it disconnected, it didn't come back home even it lost the connection!!
2015-8-9
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-8-9
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

dangtrungyb Posted at 2015-8-9 23:13
Me too !!!the drone still at the exact same position before it disconnected, it didn't come back hom ...

i guess disconnect from the app is different than a real disconnect! When the app crashes it is not disconnected, it can fly without the app. Real disconnects will show a red light on the remote. Thats why i want to install the HDMI out because its independent from the app.
2015-8-9
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-8-9 23:30
What happens if the app crashed and it takes two minutes to restart the tablet/smartphone again?

Nothing, i think the phantom will still hovering because the app has nothing to do with the phantom, it wont care if the app crashes or not. It will RTH when the remote controller looses connection to the phantom which is independent from the app. So if the remote controller shows green you have to press RTH or probably turn off the remote.
2015-8-9
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-8-9 20:39
Is this the latest FW? or an earlier version?

Yea, it is the latest firmware
2015-8-9
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

KaiserSoze9 Posted at 2015-8-9 20:53
Put 'Hover' in the failsafe option?

no, I put return home
2015-8-9
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

CapitAn Posted at 2015-8-9 21:36
Was it beeping and telling you it was coming home but stayed where it was? l thought it would hover  ...

no, no beep and it disconneted for about 2 mins
2015-8-9
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Me too !!!the drone still at the exact same position before it disconnected, it didn't come back hom ...

So did you get it back? reconnected after?
2015-8-9
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

so did it reconnect at last?
2015-8-9
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Daninho Posted at 2015-8-10 00:39
Nothing, i think the phantom will still hovering because the app has nothing to do with the phanto ...

I don't think is the app crashed, as it stated out disconnected and  I didn't do anything for 2 mins then it reconnected again
2015-8-9
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.2

Austria

mykecheng Posted at 2015-8-10 15:14
I don't think is the app crashed, as it stated out disconnected and  I didn't do anything for 2 mi ...

When the app states "disconnected" in means that the app has lost connection to the RC.
It does not mean the RC lost connection to the Phantom.
(This happens for some people quite regularly. It's annoying as hell but it has no effect whatsoever on the Phantom.)
So most likely your Phantom never lost connection to the RC.
Therefore it had no reason to come home.
While you were meddling with the app your Phantom patiently hovered in place - waiting for your commands.
2015-8-9
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

TheDreamingWatc Posted at 2015-8-10 15:50
When the app states "disconnected" in means that the app has lost connection to the RC.
It does no ...

Oh, yea, you are right, this is possible, thanks and I will check it out clearly on the controller next time, Thanks a lot!
2015-8-10
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427480 ft
Russia

The same problem was on Friday
Plus, during the loss of a connection (RC and video) drone he tried to fly away.
After 1 minute, the loss of connection I tried to return the drone through RTH - but without success.
Before this incident was nothing like this.

It was a night flight over the city (Moscow City, Russia).

P3A
FW is 1.1.9

Drone alive, but on my head became more of white hair.

2015-8-10
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

UltraONE Posted at 2015-8-10 16:24
Plus, during the loss of a connection (RC and video) drone he tried t ...

so how did you get back the drone?
2015-8-10
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.2

Austria

UltraONE Posted at 2015-8-10 16:24
Plus, during the loss of a connection (RC and video) drone he tried t ...

How did you assert that the RC really had lost connection?
Also: When you pressed RTH, did the RTH-Button start to flash and did the RC start to beep?
2015-8-10
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

TheDreamingWatc Posted at 2015-8-10 17:09
Also: When you pressed RTH, did the RTH ...

I think I know how to define the problem, if the app shows "disconnect" then is the problem between the app and the controller, the if the app shows "no signal" then it should be the problem between the controller and the drone
2015-8-10
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Daninho Posted at 2015-8-10 00:39
Nothing, i think the phantom will still hovering because the app has nothing to do with the phanto ...

That actually happened to me 3 days ago. The whole iPad crashed. After it restarted i restarted the DJI app. The bird was still flying but the setting for the camera were messed up
2015-8-10
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.2

Austria

mykecheng Posted at 2015-8-10 17:33
I think I know how to define the problem, if the app shows "disconnect" then is the problem betwee ...

I don't think that's true!
"no signal" means the app has lost the video feed.
I had this several times and the RC was able to control the Phantom just fine.

My advice: Never trust the app, it's just not reliable.

If the RC has lost the connection to the Phantom the LED on the RC will be red.
2015-8-10
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

mykecheng Posted at 2015-8-10 16:38
so how did you get back the drone?

connection with the drone was restored
I found a drone an entirely different place
2015-8-10
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

TheDreamingWatc Posted at 2015-8-10 17:09
Also: When you pressed RTH, did the RTH ...

Yes, indeed, it has been lost connection between RC and drone.
RTH button on RC does not blink, did not have any sounds, beeps, etc.Furthermore, in the Log does not fix the fact of RTH command execution.
2015-8-10
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.2

Austria

UltraONE Posted at 2015-8-10 21:49
Yes, indeed, it has been lost connection between RC and drone.
RTH button on RC does not blink, di ...

You say the connection was lost.
But was it?

Did the App tell you?
The App is not reliable!
You cannot trust the App!

There is only one way to be sure the connection has been lost: The LED on the RC is not green but red.
Also: You have to press the RTH-Button for several seconds. You have to press it until it starts blinking.
Pressing RTH briefly is like not pressing it at all.
2015-8-10
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

TheDreamingWatc Posted at 2015-8-10 17:54
I don't think that's true!
"no signal" means the app has lost the video feed.
I had this several t ...
I have simply did some test,

iPad connected RC, P3 off = app shows no signal, RC red light

iPad connected RC, P3 on = *(should be safe to fly if out door with gps, but now is gimble over load as I didn't took off the holder), RC green light

iPad disconnected RC, P3 on= app shows disconnect, RC green light

iPad disconnected RC, P3 off= app shows disconnect, RC red light

So that's why think about the difference between of no signal and disconnect, but ofcorse, I think I should trust the light of RC instead of just the app
2015-8-10
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.2

Austria

„No signal“ means no video feed. So of course, when the Copter is off, there is no video feed.

If you tried to proof that “no signal” means that the RC lost the connection your test-setting cannot proof (or disproof) that.

Next time, when you fly and you get “No signal” look at the LED: Is it green or red?
And try to use your RC even if the App displays “no signal”: Does to Copter react?
2015-8-10
Use props
mykecheng
lvl.1

Hong Kong

TheDreamingWatc Posted at 2015-8-11 00:03
„No signal“ means no video feed. So of course, when the Copter is off, there is no video feed.

If ...

But can't this proof that even the chopter is disconnected, as long as the iPad still connecting with the RC, it will show "no signal", then if the iPad disconnected with he RC, it will show "disconnect"

So that's what I mean, on my case, I saw "disconnect" instead of "no signal" so it should my problem with my iPad and RC
2015-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules