Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad question?
1145 14 2015-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

hi, I have an iPad mini 2(wifi only) that I'm using with my p3a currently...as you all know, I can not use the map when flying because of wifi only on my iPad...my question is, if I buy a new iPad mini with cell service (they have the gps in them so I can use map) do I have to activate the cell service in order to use the map/gps while flying my p3?(I.e. Pay for it?) I don't really want to pay for the extra data on the iPad because I don't really ever use it outside of my house other than flying my p3...I currently just use my home wifi with my iPad.....and no I can't hot spot it from my iPhone because I have unlimited data with AT&T and they won't let you do a hot spot with unlimited, go figure...anyway could anyone answer this question for me? I'd really like to use the map on my iPad while flying...thanks!
2015-8-8
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No you do not have to give any more money to Apple. You can cache the maps BEFORE you head out. You should turn WiFi and cellular data off when flying (to avoid interference). Therefore, upgarding would be of no benefit.
2015-8-8
Use props
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

motoscoddie Posted at 2015-8-9 15:51
No you do not have to give any more money to Apple. You can cache the maps BEFORE you head out. You  ...

Thanks! I would still like to have maps available wherever I go, but I can try caching the maps and see how I like it....do you have any idea how to go about caching maps??
2015-8-9
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just load the (EDIT: Go/Pilot) app up and move the map around (in the area you want to fly). Preferably zoom in and out a bit to ensure you cache all the data for that area. May need some trial and error, but you will get it. Good luck.
2015-8-9
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2

Australia

The other option is to use your phone as a hotspot out in the field and once the map has loaded on your iPad, just switch off wifi on the iPad.
2015-8-9
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

colin.buckle Posted at 2015-8-9 19:46
The other option is to use your phone as a hotspot out in the field and once the map has loaded on y ...

The OP stated that because of having a grand fathered unlimited data plan that AT&T won't allow for hot spotting.

I'm in the same boat with a Verizon unlimited data plan. Unless I'm willing to pay for a data plan for another devise, I have to cache maps. Heck, I don't use more than1 gb a month now, but since they won't give me anything to switch to another plan, I use what I have as a gps for the application Waze.
2015-8-9
Use props
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-9 22:23
The OP stated that because of having a grand fathered unlimited data plan that AT&T won't allow fo ...

Sounds like we're in the same boat...so you do have to get it activated with cell service in order to get maps?  If I understood you right?
2015-8-9
Use props
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-9 22:23
The OP stated that because of having a grand fathered unlimited data plan that AT&T won't allow fo ...

Sounds like we're in the same boat...so you do have to get it activated with cell service in order to get maps?  If I understood you right?
2015-8-9
Use props
laurence.barton
Second Officer
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

Which application do you use for caching maps?
2015-8-9
Use props
m.friedl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

laurence.barton Posted at 2015-8-10 04:37
Which application do you use for caching maps?

DJI Pilot App

There is a Switch - go and find it !
2015-8-9
Use props
kpresley84
lvl.2
United States

Ok so I saved a map through google maps. Now where does it go and how do I get it into the dji app? Thanks
2015-8-9
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2

Australia

The other option is to use your phone as a hotspot out in the field and once the map has loaded on y ...

Whoops..... Missed that in the original post. Sorry.
2015-8-9
Use props
pr51
lvl.1

United States

yeah I have the exact same setup as OP and use this method.
2015-8-10
Use props
axagency
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50394 ft
  • >>>
United States

Keep getting an error message when trying to download the dji go app to my iPad (app not compatible with the device)
2015-8-19
Use props
Sir Edward K
Second Officer

United States

axagency Posted at 2015-8-20 15:52
Keep getting an error message when trying to download the dji go app to my iPad (app not compatible  ...

Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch (6th generation). This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
2015-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules