1682 2 2022-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

This will help.  I've mentioned it before in various posts but I thought I would create a thread on it since I am constantly reading about lost drones across all forums.

This goes for the Avata/FPV types drones or any drone.

How often do people say they can't find there drone after it has crashed.  It's not where it is supposed to be.  The coordinates don't help.  I reviewed the video and it's just not there.

If you've had a crash, then you are aware of a couple of things:

1.The sad feeling and disappointment and loss is tremendous.  Usually you are in shock and it's hard to believable you are left standing with a remote but no drone.  It's not a feeling you would wish on anyone and the feeling never gets easier.  I've had 4 crashes.  If you have care refresh, it then becomes a priority to find the wreckage.

2.Finding the crashed drone is not easy.  Even when you saw it go down or it's just a hundred yards away, finding the drone can be challenging and you quickly realize the terrain is a major factor.

I have found that a drone can bury itself in a small amount of brush or grass.  Drones can hang up in the tree.  If the battery pops off, you may not have functions.  GPS coordinates are not always accurate and sometimes a pain to use, if you can believe that.  When you come upon a tree line or you have to cross a river or lake, all of a sudden the available daylight becomes a factor.  I've had to return from overnight to resume the search.  It's no fun.

What I recommend in additon to GPS trackers that are expensive, locator tags that are helpful but unnecessary (unless you have a flyaway), I depend on sight and sound.  For one of my crashes, I had to drive to the location and as I was pulling up, I could see the strobe lights flashing in the woods even though I couldn't see the drone.  It's always dark somewhere, eventually.  I also attach a ViFly audible beeper.  I have a handful of these in various configurations but they are super loud and instead of walking all over a pasture literally stepping over your own drone, there's no way you can't hear the buzzer.  I can hear it 500 feet away over the FPV motors.  I'm not sure how you can go wrong, these are inexpensive, easy to attach, and works with all drones.  I don't endorse them but I do believe it's worth the few extra minutes to setup.  For a different crash, as soon as the drone went down behind a fence, I could hear it and at that point, it was just a matter of taking a hike to go reclaim my property.

viflydrone.com

viflydrone.com
2022-9-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

No doubt about the usefulness of the ViFly audible beeper.  Well worth buying.  
2022-9-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there The Saint. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules