Avata Won't Land
4611 31 2022-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jo060
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2513104 ft
United States

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but my Avata won't land without forcing it.

I'll press the lock button to initiate a landing, it'll lower towards the ground but will never land. The goggles indicate that it's initiating a landing with the appropriate beeping tone, but it never will. I left it in the landing state for nearly 5 minutes with no luck.  I have to force land by holding the brake button in order to land.

I've tried different ground types from tile, grass, cement, and carpet. There is full connection to include GPS.

Any ideas?
2022-9-20
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

I reached out to DJI who said the Avata does not auto land. Interesting.
2022-9-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Jo060. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know if you have received any error message / error codes on the DJI Fly application when this is happening and may we also please know before having this issue did your DJI Avata had a hard landing or a crash before? Thank you.
2022-9-20
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-20 21:35
Hello there Jo060. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know if you have received any error message / error codes on the DJI Fly application when this is happening and may we also please know before having this issue did your DJI Avata had a hard landing or a crash before? Thank you.

No error codes or hard landings.

The person on the online chat said it doesn't auto land, is that accurate?
2022-9-21
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Of course it does auto-land.

Currently I steer the drone manually to the home point, let it hover 1m above ground and then press the red lock button for a longer time. It initiates landing and turns off the motors after touchdown.

Having said that, I do have still some open questions myself:
  • Another way to land is to push the stick/motioncontroller all townward into that additional icon. Is that correct? Must test it also.
  • When initiating RTH close to the home point, does it land where it is right now or exactly at the home point. All other drone have a 5m(?) limit. Within they land immediately, outside they perform a RTH.
  • How would you land if it must be exactly at the take off position as this is the only spot in the vincinity?

2022-9-21
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Jo060 Posted at 9-21 01:18
No error codes or hard landings.

The person on the online chat said it doesn't auto land, is that accurate?

Hello, there. Forced landing is required as the DJI Avata does not support auto landing. When using DJI Motion Controller to control the drone to land, a prompt stating that “the aircraft will be forced to land, please confirm the flight environment” will be shown.
2022-9-21
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

Maybe I use the term "auto-landing" wrong?

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Avata/20220825/DJI_Avata_User_Manual-EN.pdf

Page 50 of the manual says:
Lock Button
Press twice to start the motors of the aircraft.
Press and hold to make the aircraft take off automatically, ascend to approximately 1.2 m, and hover.
Press and hold while the aircraft is hovering to land it automatically and stop the motors.
Press once to cancel Low Battery RTH when the countdown appears in the goggles.
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

WernerD Posted at 9-21 01:54
Maybe I use the term "auto-landing" wrong?

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Avata/20220825/DJI_Avata_User_Manual-EN.pdf

I agree. Something doesn't make sense.
2022-9-21
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe another firmware update for the controller?  I'm sure you made sure that all your firmware is up to date.  Any chance you could try taking off and landing from/onto a landing pad?  Just to see if you get different results.  
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

RichfromHowellNJ Posted at 9-21 02:13
Maybe another firmware update for the controller?  I'm sure you made sure that all your firmware is up to date.  Any chance you could try taking off and landing from/onto a landing pad?  Just to see if you get different results.

Possibly.

All firmware is up to date.

I don't have a specific landing pad but have tried multiple services, all of which my other drones land without issue.
2022-9-21
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jo060 Posted at 9-21 02:15
Possibly.

All firmware is up to date.

The only reason why I was suggesting "trying" a landing pad is maybe it has something to do with the downward sensor.  Maybe it is not sensing a safe place to land.  Just a thought.
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

RichfromHowellNJ Posted at 9-21 02:47
The only reason why I was suggesting "trying" a landing pad is maybe it has something to do with the downward sensor.  Maybe it is not sensing a safe place to land.  Just a thought.

That's definitely possible.
Does your Avata auto land?
2022-9-21
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jo060 Posted at 9-21 02:48
That's definitely possible.
Does your Avata auto land?

Yes it does .... I find it is a 2 step process.  I have to "press & hold".  Then a message comes up to hold down the button and it will land.  But I'm using the motion controller.  My regular controller is a bit far away and won't get to it until a few months.  I'm wondering if it behaves differently with the traditional controller.  Next time I'm out flying with the motion controller, I'll check the DJI App to see if you can select it to land itself within the app/goggles.
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

RichfromHowellNJ Posted at 9-21 02:52
Yes it does .... I find it is a 2 step process.  I have to "press & hold".  Then a message comes up to hold down the button and it will land.  But I'm using the motion controller.  My regular controller is a bit far away and won't get to it until a few months.  I'm wondering if it behaves differently with the traditional controller.  Next time I'm out flying with the motion controller, I'll check the DJI App to see if you can select it to land itself within the app/goggles.

Very strange.
I'm using the motion controller too.
I've never looked, but is there some type of hard reset for the drone? Maybe that could be a fix.
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

I was able to get it to auto land.  I'm assuming I was initiating an auto land request at too low of an altitude. I raised the altitude to about 3 ft and it landed without issue.

Interesting that 2 different DJI reps said the Avata can NOT auto land.

2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-21 01:44
Hello, there. Forced landing is required as the DJI Avata does not support auto landing. When using DJI Motion Controller to control the drone to land, a prompt stating that “the aircraft will be forced to land, please confirm the flight environment” will be shown.

Were you just guessing?
2022-9-21
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Jo060 Posted at 9-21 04:13
Were you just guessing?

Kindly know that the Auto Landing feature has a button like Auto Takeoff.
Take DJI Air2s for an example
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-21 04:40
Kindly know that the Auto Landing feature has a button like Auto Takeoff.
Take DJI Air2s for an example
[view_image]

OK, just curious. Previously you had mentioned the Avata doesn't have the auto land option.
2022-9-21
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jo060 Posted at 9-21 04:42
OK, just curious. Previously you had mentioned the Avata doesn't have the auto land option.

Technically it does not. You need to hold the lock button to initiate the landing, as Wanda posted above. Thus, it's not "automatic" like other DJI aircraft.
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 9-21 04:46
Technically it does not. You need to hold the lock button to initiate the landing, as Wanda posted above. Thus, it's not "automatic" like other DJI aircraft.
I suppose that's one way to look at it, however, the goggles display Autoland after depressing the lock button.
DJI Wanda mentioned it needed to be forced to land which is an entirely different option.
2022-9-21
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or, it will "auto-land" after it's "forced" to land.  
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 9-21 05:15
Or, it will "auto-land" after it's "forced" to land.

Touche
2022-9-21
Use props
deeve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72864 ft
United States

I am only using the Motion Controller right now and have noticed that holding the Lock button down will land it most of the time. However, both a buddy and myself have had situations where the drone would not land using that process over aggregate concrete or pavement. The area was clear and had been used to take off and land previously, but for whatever reason there are times when it will not land. I forget the exact wording, but a message comes up to make sure the landing area is clear, which it is.  It would be nice to have the option to override warnings and  fully force land the Avata with the Motion Controller. Maybe there is, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Dave
2022-9-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

@WernerD...Yes, you are 110% correct.  If using the 'DJI Motion Controller' (which I've been using for many flights now).  I'ts EXACTLY as you've stated above.....

Simply "Press and HOLD the LOCK button while the aircraft is hovering"  To have it hover in place just hit the BRAKE button 1st.  It should then AUTO-LAND!  

Alternately, you can grab the drone (watch your fingers) on top and simply flip it over (personally..that's my go-to) simply because I've always done it that way with all my drones.  

See this video as well...just jump to 15:20 in the video....again...PRESS & HOLD to LAND

2022-9-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

One thing to clarify with the AVATA as well.....You can fly with the 'DJI Remote Controller 2" or the "DJI Motion Controller".  So, always clarify which your using to assist with the troubleshooting.  If using the 'Controller 2" also what MODE your in (NORMAL MODE, SPORTS MODE, FULL MANUAL (ACRO) MODE).  
2022-9-21
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 9-21 05:45
One thing to clarify with the AVATA as well.....You can fly with the 'DJI Remote Controller 2" or the "DJI Motion Controller".  So, always clarify which your using to assist with the troubleshooting.  If using the 'Controller 2" also what MODE your in (NORMAL MODE, SPORTS MODE, FULL MANUAL (ACRO) MODE).

It's all figured out.
It didn't like to auto land from its lowest allowed altitude. I had to raise it to approximately 3 ft for it to auto land.
2022-9-21
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jo060 Posted at 9-21 05:47
It's all figured out.
It didn't like to auto land from its lowest allowed altitude. I had to raise it to approximately 3 ft for it to auto land.

Glad you got it all figured out..  
2022-9-21
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

Just came back from a couple of flights. The Avata does support auto landing, it says so in the display.

• When you hover and long-press the lock button, the display says "starting auto-land". So much about "does not support auto-land".
  • It did lower itself from 2m above ground to approx 0.5m and then stopped, display said that it cannot find a suitable landing position. I accept that. It was rocks next to water.
  • With another long press of the lock button, forced landing is initiated. It did land at that spot.
  • Tilting the stick all down allows the drone to descent vertically. But that stops at approx 0.3m above ground. So it is not suited for landing.
  • Triggered RTH and it flew back to the start point, did hover 1m above ground and display said it cannot find a spot to land safely. Same reason as above, fully understandable.
  • So I picked the drone from the air by hand - no problem. Much easier as with the Mini 3 as you can grab it from above. Will probably be my most used landing procedure.
2022-9-22
Use props
Jo060
lvl.3
United States

WernerD Posted at 9-22 02:04
Just came back from a couple of flights. The Avata does support auto landing, it says so in the display.

Yup, I was able to get it to auto land, now. It bit mkmd blowing that 2 DJI reps said it doesn't support it.
2022-9-22
Use props
djiuser_n1fe7CnT4xoL
New

Australia

Im having trouble auto landing and then im clicking lock 4 times when its .2m off the ground and it wont emergency stop rotors. Then i hold the drown and it goes frantic and wants to go everywhere then it stops. It does that all but one time where it auto landed but there is no rhyme or reason. Theres no way it should need a landing mat as it would have came with one then.
2023-12-24
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 291345 ft
Brunei

If the vision sensor cannot see the ground properly whether its dark or maybe uneven it will ask you to force to land if clear. In those cases, IF its clear, just hold the red button and it will land. Its usually vision sensor issue on dark ground.Another way is while the drone is hovering, hold the back of the battery from the top firmly and flip it upside down and the rotors will stop.
2023-12-24
Use props
djiuser_n1fe7CnT4xoL
New

Australia

Ok, i tried auto land from at least 1m up. No problem. I guess it needs a little bit of height to read.
2023-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules