Dewarp: FOV of RS and HorizonBalancing are the same in Action3
2657 8 2022-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

I noticed that, in Dewarp, the FOV of RS and HorizonBalancing are the same in Action 3.
In Action 2, RS was wider than HB. So there was a reason to choose RS vs HB in some situations.
In Action 3, I do not see anymore the point of using RS, and I miss the wider FOV in Dewarp.

I would like to know if RS in Action2 is wider than RS in Action3. Any numbers?

2022-9-20
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

rs in action2 is same wide as ac3.

ac3 dewarp mode is about 17mm , same as steady in ac2.
the change is because the edge of dewarped footage stretches , many users complain about this, ( the reason why ac steady mode comes)
2022-9-21
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Thanks for the explanation.
It is a pity for me that the original Dewarped RS of AC2 was not kept as-is in AC3 because the very wide linear mode was one of the things that were standing out in AC2 compared to competition. Now in AC3, the linear FOVs are similar to those avaialable in Pocket 2 or Gopro.

Would really like to have the Dewarped RS of AC2 available in AC3 in some way. Maybe give it another name (Superlinear? Superdewarp?) and include it in a new firmware.
2022-9-21
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Sorry to come back on this, just an additional hope that things would be changed such that Action3 could be as capable as Action2 with respect to FOVs.

Maybe what "many users" complained about with Action2 was the absence of a FOV tighter that RS in dewarp mode (at the time). Then you introduced "Steady" and HB as a response, which was good. Then, in Action2 we had the choice between the following FOV going down: UltraWide, Wide, dewarp RS, dewarp Steady and HorizonH&S. A nice set of FOVs. And dewarp RS was unique in the Action cam industry.

In Action 3, we have them all except the dewarp RS of Action2. Dewarp Steady of Action2 has become dewarp RS in Action3. So I would suggest restoring the Action2 dewarp RS in some way in Action3 to make Action3 the most versatile Action camera on market and at least as capable as Action2.
2022-9-23
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

I discovered something today in relation to this topic.
I passed by the shop and by curiosity I want to compare ac2 and ac3 for available fovs. I was surprised to notice that the ac3 dewarp RS is the same as that of ac2, much wider than the one I have in my copy of ac3.
My explanation is that DJI decided to change the  dewarp RS of ac3 in the last firmware and that the copy in the shop still has a previous firmware.
So I suppose what DJI means by "Optimized the edge distortion of footage when Standard (Dewarp) is selected." in the new firmware is just getting rid of those edges by cropping more.

Just one thing: You may notify the shops to upgrade firmware of their demo copies because at this point the consumer would get a product which does not match the demonstrated functions in shop (just this fov specification).
Sorry, I just thought I would mention the things above for the completeness of this topic discussion.

Update: their firmware is 00.05.02.06 I was right it seems.
2022-9-26
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Yaman-Python Posted at 9-26 22:39
I discovered something today in relation to this topic.
I passed by the shop and by curiosity I want to compare ac2 and ac3 for available fovs. I was surprised to notice that the ac3 dewarp RS is the same as that of ac2, much wider than the one I have in my copy of ac3.
My explanation is that DJI decided to change the  dewarp RS of ac3 in the last firmware and that the copy in the shop still has a previous firmware.

Hi Yaman-Python, Thanks
would u let me know which store in which city so that we can check with that
2022-9-27
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Yodobashi store; Kofu city, JP.
Their ac2 may need updating too. For stabilization modes, there was only "off" and "RS", like before HB, HS, and Steady were introduced.

Update: Check which shop... Yodobashi in Nagoya (sakae) has the same old firmware...

2022-9-27
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

I looked back at some clips I did with Action2 in dewarp RS to try to understand why it was judged so bad that it was removed from Action3. This video I did to test Action2 is perfect for that. Most of the clips were taken in dewarp RS unless stated otherwise. I still do not find this mode that bad. Even though I agree that a narrower fov should be available as well (like steady in action2).

2022-9-27
Use props
nitheeshas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6572 ft
Germany

This is good and bad for me. I personally didn't like the dewarp with the old fov in action 2, but I could basically get it fixed by shooting in HB or HS with a drop in resolution. However, I was still glad that RS dewarp had such big fov and could come in handy when needed. I guess having an additional dewarp option might be the way to go, like you mentioned earlier.
2022-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules