Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-22 05:31
Just wait for the video I made this morning.

2022-9-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 9-22 05:32
Certainly seems that way.

2022-9-22
Use props
ElleKN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755669 ft
Germany

nice shots - really great colours
2022-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ElleKN Posted at 9-22 23:37
nice shots - really great colours

thank you ElleKN.
2022-9-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-22 05:23
Tomorrow is our first day.

Fall is off to a fast start with all the weather fronts happening.  Seems a few may well meet and cause some real chaos weatherwise.  Not looking good for Nova Scotia with that Hurricane headed her way.

Nothing but high winds here today.  

2022-9-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-23 11:38
Fall is off to a fast start with all the weather fronts happening.  Seems a few may well meet and cause some real chaos weatherwise.  Not looking good for Nova Scotia with that Hurricane headed her way.

Nothing but high winds here today.

Well our rain for the day disappeared so I did get a dawn flight in,  but nothing productive.

Will the wind affect your boat much?
2022-9-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-24 01:12
Well our rain for the day disappeared so I did get a dawn flight in,  but nothing productive.

Will the wind affect your boat much?

Tropical Storm Ian currently in the Central Caribbean is the one I'm watching closely.  The tracking cone does not look favorable for Florida at all.  Current projection puts a target on Central Florida.  I'll make a go or no go decision by early Monday.  
2022-9-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-24 05:32
Tropical Storm Ian currently in the Central Caribbean is the one I'm watching closely.  The tracking cone does not look favorable for Florida at all.  Current projection puts a target on Central Florida.  I'll make a go or no go decision by early Monday.

The reporting here was that could get up to 140mph peak wind.   And looks like it will come through Florida if I read the map correctly.  No flying for you that day,  at least not the drone.
2022-9-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-24 22:52
The reporting here was that could get up to 140mph peak wind.   And looks like it will come through Florida if I read the map correctly.  No flying for you that day,  at least not the drone.

Well, the boat is all fueled up and I have plenty of fresh water and food onboard so if I need to get underway I'll be ready.  The problem is if you get underway you have to make sure you plan where to go or else the storm could just follow you up the coastline or back out into the ocean.  I'm just going to keep a close eye on what the national hurricane center pilots find as they make there flights through the storm several times a day.  There measurements for direction and strength are usually quite accurate.  
2022-9-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-25 15:06
Well, the boat is all fueled up and I have plenty of fresh water and food onboard so if I need to get underway I'll be ready.  The problem is if you get underway you have to make sure you plan where to go or else the storm could just follow you up the coastline or back out into the ocean.  I'm just going to keep a close eye on what the national hurricane center pilots find as they make there flights through the storm several times a day.  There measurements for direction and strength are usually quite accurate.

Looking at the map forecast Im not sure where you could take the boat to miss it now.    I assumed you would hop in the car and head out of state for a few days if you were going to leave.

either way,  stay safe!!!
2022-9-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Beautiful captures!
2022-9-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thanks,  thats very kind Monty.   
2022-9-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 9-25 23:31
thanks,  thats very kind Monty.

No problem at all!
2022-9-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-25 23:06
Looking at the map forecast Im not sure where you could take the boat to miss it now.    I assumed you would hop in the car and head out of state for a few days if you were going to leave.

either way,  stay safe!!!

Staying safe is my main plan.  Several mini-yachts departed the local area over the weekend.  I talked with a few owners and they said they may go up the coast toward the Carolinas.  Based on previous hurricane paths I don't think that is a good plan as they tend to hug the Atlantic coastline as they work their way Northward.  If I decide to get underway I'll head toward the Bahamas.
2022-9-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-26 03:32
Staying safe is my main plan.  Several mini-yachts departed the local area over the weekend.  I talked with a few owners and they said they may go up the coast toward the Carolinas.  Based on previous hurricane paths I don't think that is a good plan as they tend to hug the Atlantic coastline as they work their way Northward.  If I decide to get underway I'll head toward the Bahamas.

Doesn't that mean your heading towards the storm if you go to the Bahamas?
2022-9-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-26 23:13
Doesn't that mean your heading towards the storm if you go to the Bahamas?

It would for sure.  I meant towards Bermuda.  There is a protected harbor there called Castle Harbor.  
2022-9-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-27 03:03
It would for sure.  I meant towards Bermuda.  There is a protected harbor there called Castle Harbor.

Wow.,  that appears to be 1800km,  thats a long old way.
2022-9-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 00:30
Wow.,  that appears to be 1800km,  thats a long old way.

Too far so I just trailed the 4 Navy ships that left out of Northeast Florida.  Nice that I'm retired Navy and they didn't seem to mind but I do have to maintain my distance from them for security purposes.  
2022-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-28 02:22
Too far so I just trailed the 4 Navy ships that left out of Northeast Florida.  Nice that I'm retired Navy and they didn't seem to mind but I do have to maintain my distance from them for security purposes.

Just heard it’s 2mph from being a cat 5 storm so stay safe.
2022-9-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 03:13
Just heard it’s 2mph from being a cat 5 storm so stay safe.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about my pier and storeroom/garage back on land at my property.  However, I'm way out of the Hurricane's destructive winds where I am.  As long as one of these giant oil tankers don't run over me I'll be fine.  Fortunately, you can see for miles today so not a worry again until tonight.  
2022-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-28 03:46
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about my pier and storeroom/garage back on land at my property.  However, I'm way out of the Hurricane's destructive winds where I am.  As long as one of these giant oil tankers don't run over me I'll be fine.  Fortunately, you can see for miles today so not a worry again until tonight.

Have they been damaged before from other hurricanes?
2022-9-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 03:49
Have they been damaged before from other hurricanes?

They have only been through one other hurricane and held up really well.  I don't anticipate anything different this time but the last hurricane was down to a 3 when it came through.  With Ian being a 5 at this time it could be creating a lot more damage when initially coming ashore.  By the time it gets to my property it is projected to be down to only a Cat 1 or 2.  They are calling for 12=15" of rain so many roads will be flooded for sure.  No doubt about the channels being full or overflowing.  
2022-9-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-28 04:09
They have only been through one other hurricane and held up really well.  I don't anticipate anything different this time but the last hurricane was down to a 3 when it came through.  With Ian being a 5 at this time it could be creating a lot more damage when initially coming ashore.  By the time it gets to my property it is projected to be down to only a Cat 1 or 2.  They are calling for 12=15" of rain so many roads will be flooded for sure.  No doubt about the channels being full or overflowing.

15” of rain for us is in unmagineable,   Is there much shelter for your pier from any large waves that may come in.
2022-9-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-28 06:32
15” of rain for us is in unmagineable,   Is there much shelter for your pier from any large waves that may come in.

My dock, pier and property are inland a bit so I'm more worried about the inlet's water rising considerably and doing damage to the underneath of the dock.  Seems the local creek is due to rise by 5-6 feet.  Of course being out in the ocean the news I get is a bit behind so not sure if any of that has been revised or not.  
2022-9-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-29 03:49
My dock, pier and property are inland a bit so I'm more worried about the inlet's water rising considerably and doing damage to the underneath of the dock.  Seems the local creek is due to rise by 5-6 feet.  Of course being out in the ocean the news I get is a bit behind so not sure if any of that has been revised or not.

Have you tied to stream MSNBC with tune in?  They seem to have a lot of news cover today
2022-9-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-29 05:32
Have you tied to stream MSNBC with tune in?  They seem to have a lot of news cover today

I haven't tried streaming MSNBC.  Probably should have thought about that sooner but to be honest it has been nice to be out here and away from all the bad news, both domestic and international.  
2022-9-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-30 01:46
I haven't tried streaming MSNBC.  Probably should have thought about that sooner but to be honest it has been nice to be out here and away from all the bad news, both domestic and international.

The other option is https://www.radio.net
2022-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-30 02:36
The other option is https://www.radio.net

Thanks for the link.  I'll give that a try.  I've programmed the autopilot and have started heading back towards Florida.  Going to be a bit of a voyage as the swells are steady 3-5 feet.  
2022-9-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-30 03:36
Thanks for the link.  I'll give that a try.  I've programmed the autopilot and have started heading back towards Florida.  Going to be a bit of a voyage as the swells are steady 3-5 feet.

5 feet for your mega yacht shouldn't be issue.  good luck.  
2022-10-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-1 01:19
5 feet for your mega yacht shouldn't be issue.  good luck.

5 feet aren't bad at all considering the 10-12 foot swells I came up against on my way out.  

Really sad about the destruction that Hurricane Ian left as it tore apart Southwestern Florida.  The good news for me is my son said my dock and pier did not suffer any damage.  He said the water level in the channel leading in is still higher than normal but passable.  He said I did have several tall pines trees that blew over and the fence around my storage shed/work shop is totally missing.  I have power and water so I guess I really dodged the bullet.
2022-10-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-1 04:01
5 feet aren't bad at all considering the 10-12 foot swells I came up against on my way out.  

Really sad about the destruction that Hurricane Ian left as it tore apart Southwestern Florida.  The good news for me is my son said my dock and pier did not suffer any damage.  He said the water level in the channel leading in is still higher than normal but passable.  He said I did have several tall pines trees that blew over and the fence around my storage shed/work shop is totally missing.  I have power and water so I guess I really dodged the bullet.

Oh that’s super news.   Looks you had a lucky escape, it’s just cost you a ton of fuel.  
2022-10-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-1 05:15
Oh that’s super news.   Looks you had a lucky escape, it’s just cost you a ton of fuel.

Yeah, I'm trying not to think about the fuel I've burned.  Good news is I had it budgeted into my Caribbean cruise that I never was able to make.  Definitely cheaper than losing the boat to the hurricane though.  I'm just a bit tired due to sleep deprivation but all in all I can't complain.
2022-10-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-1 06:16
Yeah, I'm trying not to think about the fuel I've burned.  Good news is I had it budgeted into my Caribbean cruise that I never was able to make.  Definitely cheaper than losing the boat to the hurricane though.  I'm just a bit tired due to sleep deprivation but all in all I can't complain.

At least you have an auto helm to take up some of the work.  
2022-10-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-1 23:39
At least you have an auto helm to take up some of the work.

It was a life saver for sure.  Good thing that my Captain's chair was comfortable and also reclineable.  Let me get a cat nap in or two.  
2022-10-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-2 03:49
It was a life saver for sure.  Good thing that my Captain's chair was comfortable and also reclineable.  Let me get a cat nap in or two.

As long as it doesn't creak,  like that old episode of Star Trek Enterprise.
2022-10-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-2 22:07
As long as it doesn't creak,  like that old episode of Star Trek Enterprise.

No it didn't creak at all.
2022-10-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-3 02:25
No it didn't creak at all.

Thats handy,   my passenger car chair has just started to creak,  I told SHMBO'd she needs to go on a diet.    Lucky to be alive I think.
2022-10-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-3 22:37
Thats handy,   my passenger car chair has just started to creak,  I told SHMBO'd she needs to go on a diet.    Lucky to be alive I think.

Man, you are living on the edge making a statement like that to SHMBO.  Bet she wasn't amused by that.  
2022-10-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-4 03:27
Man, you are living on the edge making a statement like that to SHMBO.  Bet she wasn't amused by that.

I think she’s talking to me again.  Just.  
2022-10-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-4 03:31
I think she’s talking to me again.  Just.

Hmmm, sounds like the old silent treatment.  
2022-10-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules