Tower inspection
882 8 2022-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GeoINOVA
lvl.1

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hello everyone,

We have a question regarding tower inspection with the DJI Phantom 4 RTK drone. Below is the specification of the equipment on the towers:

• 200 kW ERP power

• Frequency bands are:

DVBT2

400 MHz to 800 MHz

180 MHz

87.5 to 108 MHz

• Microwave bands 2.4 GHz, 10 GHz, 11 GHz, 13 GHz.

From what distance is it safe to inspect? Do you have any advice and experience with those activities, is it better to use mission or manual flight?

2022-9-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You might have a problem if that tower does use 2.4GHz, as that is the frequency band that DJI uses to control the drone.
2022-9-21
Use props
GeoINOVA
lvl.1

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Geebax Posted at 9-21 13:51
You might have a problem if that tower does use 2.4GHz, as that is the frequency band that DJI uses to control the drone.

Thank you for the reply. Is there any solution?
2022-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there.
Thanks for your inquiry.
We will talk about your problems with our engineer and keep you updated here asap.
Thank you for your support.
2022-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Update:
Hope the following details can help you more with your problems:
1. From what distance is it safe to inspect?  There is currently no standard scenario for this safety distance, and it may be customized according to the actual needs.
2. Do you have any advice and experience with those activities?
The flight requirements in the power scene are relatively high. It is recommended that you do it in the RTKfixed state.
3. Is it better to use mission or manual flight?
If it is a daily regular inspection, you can use the waypoint flight to save the route task for automatic flight, and the waypoint needs to be manually checked and then executed. If there is no regular inspection, the manual flight can be carried out, but it is best to be operated by an experienced pilot.
Thank you for your support.

2022-9-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GeoINOVA Posted at 9-21 22:42
Thank you for the reply. Is there any solution?

I flew my older P3 quite close to a high power microwave tower here in Australia, the distance between the aircraft and controller being about 1 kilometer. The tower was quite large and had lots of antennas on it, some of which would be for local 2.4Ghz Internet links. I had no problem doing so, and did not receive any warnings or suffer any lack of control, but I might have been just lucky.

You might try it, from a distance and gradually move in closer to see if you get any warnings. Having the controller very close to the tower and the aircraft would help you.
2022-9-22
Use props
GeoINOVA
lvl.1

Bosnia and Herzegovina

DJI Natalia Posted at 9-22 01:53
Update:
Hope the following details can help you more with your problems:
1. From what distance is it safe to inspect?  There is currently no standard scenario for this safety distance, and it may be customized according to the actual needs.

Thank you.
2022-9-22
Use props
GeoINOVA
lvl.1

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Geebax Posted at 9-22 13:49
I flew my older P3 quite close to a high power microwave tower here in Australia, the distance between the aircraft and controller being about 1 kilometer. The tower was quite large and had lots of antennas on it, some of which would be for local 2.4Ghz Internet links. I had no problem doing so, and did not receive any warnings or suffer any lack of control, but I might have been just lucky.

You might try it, from a distance and gradually move in closer to see if you get any warnings. Having the controller very close to the tower and the aircraft would help you.

Thank you for your reply and details.

We have already inspected telecom towers and had no problems. However, now we have a request to inspect a tower that has equipment for broadcasting radio and TV signals, in addition to these telecom antennas, which are much stronger.
2022-9-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

GeoINOVA Posted at 9-22 22:40
Thank you for your reply and details.

We have already inspected telecom towers and had no problems. However, now we have a request to inspect a tower that has equipment for broadcasting radio and TV signals, in addition to these telecom antennas, which are much stronger.

Thanks for the update.
And if you still need tech support, may we know more details of your needs so that we can confirm better with the relevant team?
Thank you in advance.
2022-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules