13051 160 2022-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In video it seems more than Ok to me but I thought I would try some stills after seeing this and they are quite poor,.
However leaving it on Auto won't get best results I noticed it was often using higher ISO than I would have chosen also not sure what minimum focusing distance is, in tring to see how it did with close up I notice things further back were in focus but what I wanted to show a foot away was not.
It is not a good choice for stills anyway as it is currently, I think you'd get better results recording 4K and taking screengrabs later.
2022-10-4
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

My experience with Action3 for ~10 days is that it looks OK for scenes exposed by bright sunlight but it gets really soft in low light situation (just shadows or indoor; not thinking night scenes). So the softness might be due to image processing in dark areas of the scene. Stabilization might play a role too...
2022-10-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 10-3 23:05
Yeah 1/2” is always better for low light.  We have 3 FF cams and 3 crop.  FF wins every day except for reach.  Will be interesting to see what DJI Support says as I queried them about this OA3 sharpness concern.

3.6K or 2.7Kp60 is perfectly fine as long as it is sharp vs soft.  With this much competition - DJI has to address these issues immediately vs staying silent.  Cancelled orders and device returns are not good for business.

I actually plan today to go out testing my OA3 with all that we have talked about on this forum before and that I or others haven't tested yet.
Will test sharpness against the old OA also.
After that I will need to talk with DJI if there is any issues.
2022-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

osmonauta Posted at 10-3 03:23
Here are 2 photos, Action 3 vs iPhone 7. Both of them were taken on a table-top tripod 50cm from the book. The Action 3 was using Pro mode with ISO set to 100-200 (all other settings are default). I don't have a "studio" so I did cropped the photos and they were both saved as JPG at 100%.

(Granted, I bought the iPhone 7 brand new in 2019 because it was on sale for $360, so basically they both were in the same price range.)

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience. For the action 3 focusing issue in a short distance, our engineers are aware of the issue and it can be fixed by firmware.
Could you please tell us your DJI account and the serial number of the unit? We will forward you a firmware to try with.
Look forward to your reply.
2022-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_YEpAg6rpKG9u Posted at 10-3 07:38
mine just arrived today, i did notice that it is blurry... the real question is IS IT FIXABLE VIA FIRMWARE?

Hi there, we are sorry for the issue. May I have a picture of your issue? Please also leave me your DJI account and the serial number of the camera, we will forward you a firmware to try with.
2022-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_qIujwKq9tj5w Posted at 10-3 17:32
I'm returning mine. I love new features but when it comes to focus issue cameras from 2010 had better results.

Hi there, may we double confirm if the focus issue happens with shooting at a short distance or if it happens at any distance?
If it happens only at a short distance, kindly provide your DJI account and serial number to me, we will forward a beta firmware to you.
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Hmm?  Very good to see that DJI Support is finally taking this close focus concern seriously by offering a beta firmware.  Seeing that my Action 2 was able to have adequate close focus sharpness - makes sense that the OA3 should also be able to achieve something similar - given the same sensor is used.  Hopefully this focus issue can be resolved and corrected quickly.  At least we have a beta firmware now to try.
2022-10-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Susan Posted at 10-4 01:09
Hi there, may we double confirm if the focus issue happens with shooting at a short distance or if it happens at any distance?
If it happens only at a short distance, kindly provide your DJI account and serial number to me, we will forward a beta firmware to you.

Is it possible for me also to try out the beta?
2022-10-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-4 01:00
Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience. For the action 3 focusing issue in a short distance, our engineers are aware of the issue and it can be fixed by firmware.
Could you please tell us your DJI account and the serial number of the unit? We will forward you a firmware to try with.

Hi Sussi thank you for coming forward, letting all know there is now an issue with DJI, imagine if this kept quiet longer. no one would ever Know. what else  are we not assuring the people with
2022-10-4
Use props
djiuser_qIujwKq9tj5w
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 10-4 01:09
If it happens only at a short distance, kindly provide your DJI account and serial number to me, we will forward a beta firmware to you.

Thank you, Susan.
I would say it's mostly noticeable on short ranges below 1.5m.
I have sent my sn and acc on PM.
2022-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_qIujwKq9tj5w Posted at 10-4 04:13
Thank you, Susan.
I would say it's mostly noticeable on short ranges below 1.5m.
I have sent my sn and acc on PM.

Hi there, I received your PM and please let me know if the firmware works for you.
2022-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

osmonauta Posted at 10-4 02:02
Thank you for the follow-up. I have already contacted support via email a few days ago so they should have my serial and other info. But I will also PM you.

What do you mean by telling you my DJI “account”?

Hi there, I received your PM, the DJI account is the email that you used for logging in to the DJI Mimo app. I have forwarded the firmware to you, please check if the firmware works on your situation.
2022-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

johansenfoto Posted at 10-4 01:20
Is it possible for me also to try out the beta?

Yes, I sent it to you, please keep us updated on the result. Your feedback is important to me.
2022-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Fishycomics Posted at 10-4 02:57
Hi Sussi thank you for coming forward, letting all know there is now an issue with DJI, imagine if this kept quiet longer. no one would ever Know. what else  are we not assuring the people with

Sorry for the late response to the post. I should've noticed this post earlier.
2022-10-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-4 05:29
Sorry for the late response to the post. I should've noticed this post earlier.

would you mind sharing the  betaware before the camera gets officially sent back.
2022-10-4
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 10-4 05:25
Hi there, I received your PM and please let me know if the firmware works for you.

I just updated and had a quick test. There is definitely an improvement, there are slightly more details on the face. That said image for some reason still looks like it is recorded on lower (downsampled) resolution even tho it's set to 4k. Is it fixable via firmware or should I send the camera back ?? PS: In webcam mode camera is installed over my monitor (50cm away) and the letters on the keyboard are bearly readable.
(djiuser_qIujwKq9tj5w renamed to Amuzis)

2022-10-4
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have decided to show what I mean via photos.
Both are made in the same light condition and the same high. Both cameras have 12mp photo capability.
Here are the key differences. First photo has been made by the front-facing camera of my phone at 50cm high. The size of the lens is literally the same as this letter O.

And here is the second photo from OA3 with the lens size of a thumbnail(I don't count protective glass). Same high of 50cm and the same lighting.

Obviously, there is a massive difference in sensor sizes in both cameras whereas OA3 is way bigger.
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

It is important for the beta testers to post their personal results of the close focus firmware.  So kudos to Amuzis.

Since it has not been yet confirmed that the problem has been officially resolved.  What has pushed this matter forward has been all the negative publicity posted on Youtube and other media sources.  Complaints reach a much wider audience there vs here.  The main difference here is that you are simply being used as free beta testers.  In the hopes of correcting an inherent design/manufacturing/software/hardware/firmware problem.  

Until we mostly agree the problem is no longer a problem - it is a problem.  Fanbois aside.  PS. Same beta testing happens to a lot of electronic devices.  This one is weird though since the Action 2 was fine.  The main changes look to be the lens and the electronic stabilization from 2 to 3.  So test shots should be taken without stabilization - and the various stabilization modes etc. Hopefully problem solving like this will find the root - and code changed to correct.

“ After the testing and the analysis conducted by our engineers, it is found that this problem is caused by the large internal parameters of individual cameras. For this problem, it can be improved by firmware.”

"Improving” may not be good enough.  We will see.  That last post of the keyboard still looks pretty bad unfortunately.  Just keeping it real.  Outdoor and indoor tests in good lighting of a page of letters usually works pretty good to confirm resolution at defined close distances.  Showing a tape measure or ruler will help DJI Support.  Hoping that code alone can fix this - and it is not the lens elements.

2022-10-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I tried sharpening up in post and even that doesn’t get the picture to snap into focus. My first thought was ‘great, less internal sharpening gives us more control’, but this doesn’t shift. It would be nice if DJI could offer some kind of in camera control of sharpening, if they ever get it sharp in the first place.
2022-10-4
Use props
united by water
lvl.4
United States

Good to see this issue is getting traction on hopefully getting fixed. Time will tell and my wallet is staying closed until then.
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

united by water Posted at 10-4 12:35
Good to see this issue is getting traction on hopefully getting fixed. Time will tell and my wallet is staying closed until then.

Yep.  When I get my OA3 I will try the beta firmware and help out as best I can - but if this cannot be resolved in a timely manner ie. a matter of days - it will have to be sent back because of the very rigid 14 day DJI return window policy.  If they make an exception for me though - then fine.

I really do want this to work out and get corrected.  But if not - the Hero 11 is there and has been reviewed  back and forth - and the new shiny Insta 360 X3 looks tasty for something different. My fingers are definitely crossed DJI makes good with this.  Fast.
2022-10-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Susan Posted at 10-4 05:27
Yes, I sent it to you, please keep us updated on the result. Your feedback is important to me.

Thank you, I have posted images in this thread:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D781%26typeid%3D781

2022-10-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

osmonauta Posted at 10-4 13:29
I don't know about the calibration process but don't engineers who put together the whole shebang, design the lenses, write the firmware, etc, test the camera? It doesn't take much to put some test circles/signs/characters on a piece of paper and shoot a few images. They would immediately see whether it's sharp or not (...or let's call it "acceptable").

Yep generally they should.  But it all depends on who does the testing and who oversees the product development.  In my mind this should be a very straightforward process.  Time cost also becomes a factor.  Many variables really coming from top down.

Our son is involved in project management of this type.  So we have some idea what factors come into play.  The moderators on this forum are only a conduit for DJI Support.  Contacting DJI Support directly has elicited this response we see here online.  It is imperative that concerned users step forward like we have seen in these various threads.  Otherwise DJI thinks nothing is wrong with the product and users are completely satisfied.
2022-10-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

If you guys check out this video, her version of camera do look sharp enough (check at 11 min)

2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Hmm?  Was really hoping that this was the case - but when you take screenshots you can definitely see a big difference in focus position.  The OA3 focus is always in the distance and not up close.  This occurs on all the Youtube videos posted on the internet.  It is as though the focus point does not ever change.  Whereas other devices like the DJI Pocket 2 - do.  In this screenshot you can definitely see some P2 bokeh.  But the OA3 is always the reverse.  Sharp background - blurred foreground.  This is very weird and seems more like a lens element positioning problem.

2022-10-4
Use props
djiuser_i82mY6tgH5DN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98950 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah this certainly looks like an issue with the lens elements leading to a back focused image.  I get mine tomorrow and I'll run my own tests against the action 1 and pocket 2.  I can't imagine how a firmware update can help anything other than add some sharpening to the image.  This is a bummer.  Would love to hear something more specific from DJI.
2022-10-4
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_i82mY6tgH5DN Posted at 10-4 16:03
Yeah this certainly looks like an issue with the lens elements leading to a back focused image.  I get mine tomorrow and I'll run my own tests against the action 1 and pocket 2.  I can't imagine how a firmware update can help anything other than add some sharpening to the image.  This is a bummer.  Would love to hear something more specific from DJI.

Yep firmware typically cannot change focus point distance if the lens elements are positioned out of whack.  If the root - it seems a lens supplier problem.  Then DJI quality control not testing sufficiently before sending out to the masses.

Notice that this thread has already gained solid traction on Youtube.  She has the same multiple viewer comments of “out of focus” as most of us here have concluded.

2022-10-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 10-4 17:11
Yep firmware typically cannot change focus point distance if the lens elements are positioned out of whack.  If the root - it seems a lens supplier problem.  Then DJI quality control not testing sufficiently before sending out to the masses.

Notice that this thread has already gained solid traction on Youtube.  She has the same multiple viewer comments of “out of focus” as most of us here have concluded.

I would like to thank you for going deep into this with your posts and posting screenshots.

About focus and sharpness, Pocket 2 is really sharp I have it myself and the quality is super.

And to everyone else in this thread; regarding focus, with wide open aperture gives the camera really shallow depth of field. But with small sensor bring back more into focus again. I haven't done the math, but with this small sensor there will be out of focus problems if its calibrated focus is too close or too far away.

That's why I whish action cameras could have aperture control or fixed aperture like f/4 - f/8 for better focus in daylight (more in focus) than wide open aperture that gives minimal focus fov.

But that will also bring other problems without getting too deep into it.
2022-10-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Thank you for your feedback. We have forwarded the thread to our designated teams. We will keep following up with the issue.
2022-10-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi, thank you all for your update, I will keep forwarding the feedback to our engineers. If I receive any update, I will keep you updated.
2022-10-5
Use props
Johannes
lvl.3
Germany

Hey guys! I just got my Action 3 today and I am shocked by the image quality. However: What I didn't know before is that the Action has a fixed focus, so I'm wondering how good the sharpness is supposed to be with that. I had a Pocket 2 before and I loved the quality. I was expecting something similar / better from the Action 3. I have to say that the comparison of these cameras seems ridiculous, the Action 3 looks like a webcam compared to the Pocket 2.

Don't get me wrong, I want to love this camera. Only so that you know, what I'm looking at – here are two examples of my Action 3:

On the other hand, here are some Pocket 2 examples:

2022-10-6
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Your Pocket 2 image looks about the same IQ as what my fixed focus Action 2 delivered.  

Interestingly just received my OA3 via UPS but am not unboxing it.  DJI Support is apparently overwhelmed at the moment trying to deal with user concerns about how soft the lens is etc.  They asked me to wait 1-2 days for them to respond to my concerns via email.  At that time will decide whether to open and help them test it - or just send it back unopened.  They seem to recognize this is a big problem - but are unsure exactly how to deal with it.

2022-10-6
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-6
Use props
Amuzis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Pictures posted by Johannes clearly show that there's sharpness issue on whole spectrum on the images. Look on trees on first and second photo and compare them to next set. Even tho there is good lighting condition everything looks hazy. You can say I'm picky but then again we live in 2022 I would accept this quality 5-7 years ago. But then again OA1 from 4 years ago was way sharper which you can see on first page of this thread.
2022-10-6
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

osmonauta Posted at 10-6 14:28
"...but are unsure exactly how to deal with it"

Easy. Halt all distribution. Fix the problem then restart distribution. Those who already got the camera, issue free repair/replacement with paid return postage. Difficult? Sorry. Tough luck!

Umm….  Yep.
2022-10-6
Use props
djiuser_qlgW677uoiR4
New
United States

I tried posting a comment and then it seemed not to post hopefully this isn't redundant.  I'm having the same issues with image quality and was concerned I got a bad unit.  Looks like this is a widespread problem.  My concern is if it can't be fixed with firmware do with firmware Then we're stuck with a useless camera until they do a recall or we wait too long and it can't be returned.  Wondering if I wait for a firmware update or just send it back now to make sure I don't get stuck with the camera I can't use???
2022-10-6
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_qlgW677uoiR4 Posted at 10-6 18:30
I tried posting a comment and then it seemed not to post hopefully this isn't redundant.  I'm having the same issues with image quality and was concerned I got a bad unit.  Looks like this is a widespread problem.  My concern is if it can't be fixed with firmware do with firmware Then we're stuck with a useless camera until they do a recall or we wait too long and it can't be returned.  Wondering if I wait for a firmware update or just send it back now to make sure I don't get stuck with the camera I can't use???

Ok DJI Support finally sent an email response after it was escalated by Chat.  In order to be 100% safe vs sorry - will be initiating a RMA back to DJI with the UPS package unopened.  It appears DJI upper management has decided to wait this out in the hopes it gets buried deep down in the forum threads - and then quietly slip in any lens manufacturer hardware changes - in future batches down the assembly line road.

Very unfortunate for all those OA3 owners past the 14 day return period.  But I tried my best to get a positive resolution for you all.  Am now off to pull the trigger on a Hero 11 or Insta 360 X3 or something else.  Gut is pulling towards the X3 though for 360 fun.  Hmm.  Might be very interesting.

Thanks very much to all the forum members contributing their valuable input in the various soft focus threads.  I learned a lot very quickly.  It is greatly appreciated.  Good luck.  Hope it gets resolved soon.

“ Thank you for your email.
As per mentioned by me and Lysa in the earlier thread of the email, our engineering team found out that the problem is actually caused by the large parameters of individual cameras.

Unfortunately due to this, we can only assist to push for the beta update of the firmware for all customers that are having the issue.

Regarding the warranty, you do not have to be worried about the replacement cost and sorts as if it is really needed, we will request a return of the items for further diagnosis by our engineering team, and once it is deemed as a quality issue, any replacement or repair works that are done towards the item shall be borne by DJI.

I hope this clarifies your inquiries. And for the additional information that you have provided, I shall relay the information to our engineering team so that they are aware on the test that you guys have done. I am really thankful for the complete information provided and discussed in the thread.

Thanks!
Best regards,

Haikal
DJI Technical Support”
2022-10-6
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-10-7
Use props