8098 34 2022-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I got mine today, so after I had charged it up I went straight out to test it out and made this video where I test out a lot of things that people want answer on.

Tested it against gopro 10 and my old Osmo Action.

2022-9-21
Use props
united by water
lvl.4
United States

Well, you defiantly helped me trying to figure out if the Cynova adapter would work/fit. That's refreshing that I don't have to find another adapter. I did notice the comparison footage at 6:26-6:40, the Dji looks terrible, look how blurred out everything is compared to the GoPro (super crisp). Did Dji give us the option to turn off wifi on this model? Bothered the heck out of me that the OA1, it was permanently on.
Thanks for putting this together johansenfoto
2022-9-21
Use props
Frontliner 2020
lvl.4
Philippines

interesting comparison... i am still going to stick with my dji osmo action...
2022-9-21
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

Hmmm, it's not that it isn't sharp (gopro hero 10 is a mess of digital sharpening) it's that the Osmo Action 3 somewhere in the image pipeline when they apply lens correction it gets soft. I also suspect that there is a batch of bad calibrated lens, the 30 cm minimum distance should be sharper. It my explain why I see softness in the face, but on the other hand I see comparison footage where in close-ups has at least the same amount of details as the gopro. I'm gonna wait for the firmware to see if this is software related.
Thank you johansenfoto for this comparison, it helps a lot.
2022-9-21
Use props
MaSky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1885056 ft
Lithuania

Thank you, johansenfoto. For this comparison. The most interesting part was to see side by side videos from H10 and A3. Huge difference.
2022-9-21
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

united by water Posted at 9-21 17:31
Well, you defiantly helped me trying to figure out if the Cynova adapter would work/fit. That's refreshing that I don't have to find another adapter. I did notice the comparison footage at 6:26-6:40, the Dji looks terrible, look how blurred out everything is compared to the GoPro (super crisp). Did Dji give us the option to turn off wifi on this model? Bothered the heck out of me that the OA1, it was permanently on.

I have actually ordered a usb-c adapter for using with my mic. It was before I knew that Cynova adapter would work.

It seems like 12MP on OA3 doesn't give the best result in sharpness, but will try new test with added sharpness in post.
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Frontliner 2020 Posted at 9-21 19:16

The good old OA is really good indeed, but for the price of OA3 and that it can handle cold and heat even better than before made me start to love it when testing it out.
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

andrei193 Posted at 9-21 20:00
Hmmm, it's not that it isn't sharp (gopro hero 10 is a mess of digital sharpening) it's that the Osmo Action 3 somewhere in the image pipeline when they apply lens correction it gets soft. I also suspect that there is a batch of bad calibrated lens, the 30 cm minimum distance should be sharper. It my explain why I see softness in the face, but on the other hand I see comparison footage where in close-ups has at least the same amount of details as the gopro. I'm gonna wait for the firmware to see if this is software related.
Thank you johansenfoto for this comparison, it helps a lot.

I think the gopro is way sharper (recorded always in Medium sharpness) but actually sharpness is relative since not all of us have the same sharpness on our screens. But I agree that OA3 is softer, maybe it need to be adjusted (focus) but I think it could be because it only have 12MP sensor that is not enough for 4K with stabilization so it could more like 1440p upscaled just like the old OA.

Just let me know if there is anything else I should test? And I still try to figure out where HDR is in the menu.
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

MaSky Posted at 9-21 20:34
Thank you, johansenfoto. For this comparison. The most interesting part was to see side by side videos from H10 and A3. Huge difference.

I agree that have a side comparison makes you really see the difference between cameras.

Will make more tests later, this was actually made in a hurry so you guys could get some answer (me included)
2022-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great review.  
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Thank you
2022-9-22
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

johansenfoto Posted at 9-22 00:11
I think the gopro is way sharper (recorded always in Medium sharpness) but actually sharpness is relative since not all of us have the same sharpness on our screens. But I agree that OA3 is softer, maybe it need to be adjusted (focus) but I think it could be because it only have 12MP sensor that is not enough for 4K with stabilization so it could more like 1440p upscaled just like the old OA.

Just let me know if there is anything else I should test? And I still try to figure out where HDR is in the menu.

If you can, please test sharpness level on face (selfie) on video mode with different FOV and the EIS priority mode in some low light scenarious, forests scene where lighting isn't ideal.
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

andrei193 Posted at 9-22 01:00
If you can, please test sharpness level on face (selfie) on video mode with different FOV and the EIS priority mode in some low light scenarious, forests scene where lighting isn't ideal.

I will do that
2022-9-22
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

Also, can you please share a raw photo file here. I will check to see if yours is defocused. But not handheld, so I can eliminate hand movement out of the equation. I have some raw images from a reviewer and can make some comparisons.
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

andrei193 Posted at 9-22 01:06
Also, can you please share a raw photo file here. I will check to see if yours is defocused. But not handheld, so I can eliminate hand movement out of the equation. I have some raw images from a reviewer and can make some comparisons.

Cropped the bottom part, but shot in 4:3 not handheld and with 3s timer

DJI_20220922122423_0007_D.jpg
2022-9-22
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Romania

johansenfoto Posted at 9-22 02:38
Cropped the bottom part, but shot in 4:3 not handheld and with 3s timer

I think you have a defocused lens. Here in this video is clear that the Action 3 has a problem (compared to the Action 2).

2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

It only seems like the footage get blurry when using Rocksteady.
12MP is not much so it could be a reason.

Just did a test between h265 and h264 if I would see any difference on OA3, can't tell any clear difference.
2022-9-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great comparison video and review.    Thanks for putting this together and sharing.  
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-22 03:36
Great comparison video and review.    Thanks for putting this together and sharing.

Thank you, and just let me know if there is anything more
2022-9-22
Use props
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for putting this together.  Did you receive an early review unit?
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

WiscoPaddler Posted at 9-22 04:41
Thanks for putting this together.  Did you receive an early review unit?

Thank you.

No I ordered it the same day it was released from one of the few places that had it in stock here in Norway.
2022-9-22
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice comparison.
2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Thank you
2022-9-22
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-22 06:39
Thank you

Of course.
2022-9-22
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does the pass thru power work with the cynova adapter?
Does it show the mic icon when it's plugged in?
2022-9-22
Use props
Frontliner 2020
lvl.4
Philippines

johansenfoto Posted at 9-22 00:07
The good old OA is really good indeed, but for the price of OA3 and that it can handle cold and heat even better than before made me start to love it when testing it out.

2022-9-22
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

snorkel Posted at 9-22 17:30
Does the pass thru power work with the cynova adapter?
Does it show the mic icon when it's plugged in?

If I remember right yes you can use the pass thru for charging, but will do a test about it.
No the mic icon didn't show up when I used it, and I found it a bit strange when I plugged it in.

Will make a new video where I check everything about it.
2022-9-22
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

united by water Posted at 9-21 17:31
Well, you defiantly helped me trying to figure out if the Cynova adapter would work/fit. That's refreshing that I don't have to find another adapter. I did notice the comparison footage at 6:26-6:40, the Dji looks terrible, look how blurred out everything is compared to the GoPro (super crisp). Did Dji give us the option to turn off wifi on this model? Bothered the heck out of me that the OA1, it was permanently on.

I don't think the adapter worked, the audio still sounded like the internal mics.
Only way to know for sure is to see if the mic icon is on the screen.
2022-9-23
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Frontliner 2020 Posted at 9-21 19:16

Osmo Action 1 is a great cam only think that made me move away from it was the small FOV.
2022-9-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-22 04:30
Thank you, and just let me know if there is anything more

You're most welcome.    Again, great job on the comparisons.
2022-9-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Both delivered good footage I think.
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 9-26 00:34
Both delivered good footage I think.

I think that also, and with added sharpening in post OA3 give good video as for now
2022-9-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 9-26 01:00
I think that also, and with added sharpening in post OA3 give good video as for now

It sure seems to deliver!
2022-9-26
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I find the footage from my OA3 a little soft at closer distances. When pointing at myself from 3 feet or so, the background seems a lot sharper than me. Almost on the point of being out of focus tbh.
2022-10-1
Use props
Frontliner 2020
lvl.4
Philippines

snorkel Posted at 9-23 07:53
Osmo Action 1 is a great cam only think that made me move away from it was the small FOV.

dji osmo action is definitely a great cam... is still use mine till now...
2022-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules