Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Headtracking and Manual Mode
5292 36 2022-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mifish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456188 ft
Canada

I'm a HUGE fan of head tracking. But sadly it's not available with the Controller v2. Could you please please please offer the same feature for normal and manual mode when using the controller v2? The principle of altering the navigation (controls) math based on the orientation of the head tracker is awesome and I'd totally love it if even only one axis was available ( tilt, not yaw ).

Single SelectVote, Total 23 people participate in voting

Distance end of: 424 Day15 Hour54 Min

Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-9-22
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915233 ft
Croatia

That makes no sense. The way head tracking works in combination with Motion Controller is being able to point one way and look the other way since it's already an indirect way of controlling movement. But with sticks, head movement would just interfere/fight your finger inputs. Especially in manual/acro mode, it seems like a recipe for disaster.
2022-9-22
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

fichek Posted at 9-22 11:03
That makes no sense. The way head tracking works in combination with Motion Controller is being able to point one way and look the other way since it's already an indirect way of controlling movement. But with sticks, head movement would just interfere/fight your finger inputs. Especially in manual/acro mode, it seems like a recipe for disaster.

Ultimately both manual and the motion controller instructions (requests) are 'mixed' into the commands passed to the flight controller. Manual is still going through a signifigant amount of processing by the flight controller.   Depending upon where the mixing of inputs occurs in the pipeline, it shouldn't make a difference if it's normal mode via the motion controller, or manual mode via controller v2.
2022-9-22
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

The whole premise of manual/acro is that your fingers have direct control over each axis. Sure there's filtering and smoothing etc, but I think you underestimate just how disorienting it would get with head tracking mixed in.
2022-9-22
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

fichek Posted at 9-22 12:27
The whole premise of manual/acro is that your fingers have direct control over each axis. Sure there's filtering and smoothing etc, but I think you underestimate just how disorienting it would get with head tracking mixed in.

People are already running manual mode freestyle drones with head tracking. It takes some getting used to, but it allows for shots and flying styles that you can't pull off with a fixed camera angle.

Check out this video. It was shot using a head tracker to control the angle of the camera:

I would love to have control of the camear tilt.
I woud love even more to have the same yaw-ish mixing (of manual mode) to shift the control axis like head tracking with the motion controller does today.
2022-9-22
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

Here's another video where Joshua Bardwell tries out a headtracing controlled camera angle on a freestyle drone ( in manual mode ):
2022-9-22
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

You're confusing head tracking as a separate input to control a proper gimbal camera vs what Avata does which is change the direction of the whole drone flying in order to emulate a 2-axis gimbal.
2022-9-22
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

fichek Posted at 9-22 15:28
You're confusing head tracking as a separate input to control a proper gimbal camera vs what Avata does which is change the direction of the whole drone flying in order to emulate a 2-axis gimbal.

It appears that the current head tracking on the Avata translates Goggle pitch into gimble tilt and Goggle yaw into a shifted orientation along the yaw-axis for the flight controller. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
2022-9-22
Use props
Frontliner 2020
lvl.4
Philippines

+ 1 ... voted...
2022-9-22
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fichek Posted at 9-22 11:03
That makes no sense. The way head tracking works in combination with Motion Controller is being able to point one way and look the other way since it's already an indirect way of controlling movement. But with sticks, head movement would just interfere/fight your finger inputs. Especially in manual/acro mode, it seems like a recipe for disaster.

Very well explained...   
2022-9-23
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

fichek Posted at 9-22 15:28

If you watch Joshua Bardwell's video, (see time = 1:52) he show's the rig used in the first video. It's a 1 axis gimbol - not a 2 axis one. It only controls tilt.
(Available from: https://medlindrone.com/2021/07/ ... or-fpv-multirotors/ )
2022-9-23
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

frankymusik Posted at 9-23 03:20
Very well explained...

Well - lets think about this some more.

Simply Changing the pitch of the goggles could result in change in camera orientation. No translation of the flight controls would be required. Flight controls would behave as normal; the change in camera angle is akin to commands from the controller.v2-gimbal-dial.

Yaw would be more complicated. Change in Goggle yaw orientation, could result in an yaw input control of equivalent orientation... So as to keep the the spacial orientation of the drone the same you could modify the control system in a few ways .
1 - Modify the drones internal orientation ( akin to having shifter the gyros )
2 - Translate the pitch and role inputs as received the controller.v2.  This translation would be simiar as to if you had pushed the right stick ( assuming a mode 2 controller ) an opposite number of degrees as the current Goggle yaw. (eg/ if the Goggles were yawed 90degrees to the left (counter clockwise), you would need to shift the right stick orientation 90 degrees to the right (clockwise).. Thus a full forward right stick input would be translated into a full right, right stick input.

If there is an obvious flaw to this logic, please let me know.
If this sounds correct, please also let me know.

Cheers
2022-9-23
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

Very simple experiment: mount your camera at like 30 degrees horizontally and try to fly acro for 5 seconds. It's not something Avata's target audience is gonna be able to do, so the time DJI engineers would waste implementing it would be much better spent on fixing bugs and improving the product for everyone.
2022-9-29
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

fichek Posted at 9-29 03:51
Very simple experiment: mount your camera at like 30 degrees horizontally and try to fly acro for 5 seconds. It's not something Avata's target audience is gonna be able to do, so the time DJI engineers would waste implementing it would be much better spent on fixing bugs and improving the product for everyone.

This style of steep uptilt is called "Matty Style" (Matty Style is usually even more extreme - say >45').  Though the ability to tilt the camera or adjust the flight orientation doesn't need to be this extreme - it would still be useful for intermediate pilots in even normal mode. For shots where the drone changes altitude and needs to track an object at varrying orienteations, I've personally found the gimbal dial too difficult to use.... (And I have practiced to see if I could master it. )

As to how the DJI technicians could best use their time - I have another posting requesting an SDK so the community could contribute to these features:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=275211
2022-9-29
Use props
fichek
lvl.4
Croatia

Horizontally.
2022-9-29
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Did not see anything special in the video, except a bunch of edit cuts because pilot lost the cyclist. The DJI video clip with Avata passing in front and under the bikes wheel beats easy
2022-10-11
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

I have tried head tracking with the controller 2 and it's very difficult, to say the least. Maybe it's just me, maybe someone else can do it, but it's very confusing and hard to do. Now with the motion controller head tracking works well and is very useful.
2022-10-17
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

FPVTrendz Posted at 2022-10-17 10:50
I have tried head tracking with the controller 2 and it's very difficult, to say the least. Maybe it's just me, maybe someone else can do it, but it's very confusing and hard to do. Now with the motion controller head tracking works well and is very useful.

I didn’t think there was a head tracking mode available with the controller 2; how do you enable it?
2023-1-12
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Only camera tilt (head tracking)  when using the controller 2 would be nice though!
You can control the camera angle with the dial, so why not head tracking?
(or am i missing something, and it DOES work with the controller 2? )

Yaw on head tracking would be confusing while using the controller2, but just camera angle would be nice.
2023-1-13
Use props
Drey. I
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no point
2023-1-13
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

mifish Posted at 1-12 11:26
I didn’t think there was a head tracking mode available with the controller 2; how do you enable it?

It's only up and down, it will not work side to side. But it's confusing to say the least.
2023-1-13
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

Head tracking or no head tracking, which goggles v2 or goggles 2?  I think DJI really screwed us on their marketing with naming the goggles like they did.  I returned a whole Avata with the Goggles 2 or v2 that didn't have the head tracking.   Once I got use to head tracking, I got the DJI FPV Controller 2 and found out IT DOESN'T have head tracking!  WTF!

There's a lot of stuff I exposed about their confusing and misleading marketing in this video fresh on youtube:

2023-1-13
Use props
Big Fil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1113484 ft
United States

Actually there is a valid use for at least enabling camera tilt angle with head tracking especially in a cinewoop. The OP posted the video with the mountain biker which is a perfect example. Tracking a mounting biker or any other subject descending at various speeds and being able to change the camera angle to match framing and speed. While it would take some practice and getting used to it's not unreasonable and would be totally controllable. I do agree that you would not want the head tracking to influence yaw movements in manual mode because then you would actually have two control methods (stick and head tracker) fighting the same flight inputs.
2023-1-13
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

easy for you to say, op.  based on your photo, i can "see" why you would want this.  others like me have a hard enough time just keeping up with head tracking in sport mode.
2023-4-30
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 2022-9-22 12:27

If you look at his photo he doesn't seem to be worried about being disoriented...
2023-5-3
Use props
Rickvdvulkaan
lvl.2

Netherlands

this just blew my mind. i'm into fpv mostly for cinematic reasons (and because it's cool), and this can solve a lot of currently impossible camera shots. But i can totally imagine how disorienting and hard it could be, as most of my (basic) skill is based on the camera angle. but i guess that's just a matter of getting used to.
1-14 02:07
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 291345 ft
Brunei

I think what you are asking for is a gimballed 360 degree camera with tilt sitting on top controlled by head tracking like some of the RC planes. Not quite the same way the Avata uses head tracking. Personally i think it wouldnt be easy to fly a drone with head tracking as it would be with a plane going in a single direction.
Head tracking with the Avata is a assisted flight no different from yawing and thrust vectoring in a different direction with manual control. Putting head tracking with manual even if only on the tilt would probably make the pilot lose sense of speed. That said though, with the MC, ive gotten used to flying with head tracking and thinking/tracking the circle while looking to the side with tilt. I just think it would be extremely difficult to do that without that circle as a guide.
1-14 02:56
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Brunei

Everything in the first video can be done with the motion controller and head tracking.
1-14 03:01
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

D35Archangel Posted at 1-14 03:01
Everything in the first video can be done with the motion controller and head tracking.

Nope. Try flying like that. You can't change direction / transition movement as abruptly or throttle down and drop.  The motion controller is great - but you can't fly anywhere near acro/manual-mode with it.
1-24 10:18
Use props
mifish
lvl.2
Canada

D35Archangel Posted at 1-14 02:56
I think what you are asking for is a gimballed 360 degree camera with tilt sitting on top controlled by head tracking like some of the RC planes. Not quite the same way the Avata uses head tracking. Personally i think it wouldnt be easy to fly a drone with head tracking as it would be with a plane going in a single direction.
Head tracking with the Avata is a assisted flight no different from yawing and thrust vectoring in a different direction with manual control. Putting head tracking with manual even if only on the tilt would probably make the pilot lose sense of speed. That said though, with the MC, ive gotten used to flying with head tracking and thinking/tracking the circle while looking to the side with tilt. I just think it would be extremely difficult to do that without that circle as a guide.

No. I've got a non DJI rig running healt tilt with head tracking and it's super handy for freestyle to be able to change your camera angle ( and thus your attack speed )  mid manover. I love being able to transition from hovering and a flat camera angle, to pulling back and keeping a flat camera angle - or looking up as you acend up the side of a building or tree - or looking "up" at your gap as you power loop something. It would be so sweet to be able to use the Avata and head tilt in manual mode OR to have access to the built in head tracker in the Goggles2 and get a channel out via the O2 system VS of having to attach an external head tracker w/ an extera receiver.
1-24 10:22
Use props
djiuser_HPf0LgjgM91X
lvl.1

United States

fichek Posted at 2022-9-22 12:27

Best response ever
2-9 12:43
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2560784 ft
Portugal

Totally agree with head tracking with manual mode. The same is true for motion controller with head tracking and being able to make acrobatic maneuvers, like loops and rolls. Of course it’s possible to make the necessary equations to allow mixing all channels with sticks and head tracking information and control the motors correctly, the problem is making DJI invest in engineers work. Guess such investment would go for a newer AVATA version highly priced.
2-9 16:23
Use props
El_Magnifico
lvl.1
Flight distance : 290810 ft
  • >>>
United States

Am I mistaken or is this dicsussion done? I just got a set of integra goggles which allow me to do head tracking. It is so great. Is it the same thing as was being requested?
3-30 21:48
Use props
El_Magnifico
lvl.1
Flight distance : 290810 ft
  • >>>
United States

What brought me to this discussion was my search for a way to make the head tracking motion more cinematic. The response by the copter is so immediate. Is there a way to dampen the motion of the head tracking? Its what <cine> mode does with the standard controller.
3-30 21:51
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Brunei

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
3-31 13:59
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

El_Magnifico Posted at 3-30 21:48
Am I mistaken or is this dicsussion done? I just got a set of integra goggles which allow me to do head tracking. It is so great. Is it the same thing as was being requested?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. If you are using the DJI Goggles Integra with your DJI Mavic 3 Classic, the Head Tracking feature is supported (Obstacle Avoidance available). Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. We appreciate your valued support.
3-31 23:18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

El_Magnifico Posted at 3-30 21:51
What brought me to this discussion was my search for a way to make the head tracking motion more cinematic. The response by the copter is so immediate. Is there a way to dampen the motion of the head tracking? Its what  mode does with the standard controller.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The said option is not yet supported. Rest assured this feedback will be provided to the development team for evaluation. Any news or updates will be announced on the DJI official website. We appreciate your patience.
4-1 00:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules