A few TIPS after a few months with my FPV + long distance fly
1639 11 2022-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyLow
lvl.3
Switzerland

Hi,
After a few month with my FPV, I have a few tips for pilots interested in this great drone:

+ Alway set Return To Home (RTH) altitude according to your environment, it can save your drone.

+ Always be aware that RTH can be a curse, especially if you are flying near or in forests or over/beyond obstacles that are higher than your RTH altitude: Behind a rock wall, my RC lost connection, blackout in the Goggles, RTH engaged; fortunately I regained full manual control just a few meters before a collision with the rock wall.

+ Strong winds: Avoid Normal or Sport mode in strong winds, switch to Manual mode and you will control your drone much more safely.

+ Battery/Long distance fly: the drone will warn you to come back as soon as the battery is at about 60%. Depending on the weather conditions (wind, temperature), it is better not to go much further. As in the video below, the battery can run out very quickly, in only 4 minutes 80% of the battery was consumed.   

If you have any other tips, you are welcome!

This vid is already in the nature section, but maybe some of you, as I normally do, only read this forum.
This is my first time filming with the drone camera, normally I am satisfied to fly and record only with the Goggles for safety.
I also wanted to try to push the drone as far as possible.

In 10-15 years, there will be no more glaciers in the Alps,

2022-9-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there FlyLow. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying. .
2022-9-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice tips.    Already commented on the amazing video in the nature section.
2022-9-23
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

Nice shot! Next time take me too!! (I wish)
2022-9-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

In any case, if it loses the radio connection, it switches back to normal mode, right?  
But then an obstacle detection is also active in that the drone stops before it crashes against a wall...
2022-9-23
Use props
FlyLow
lvl.3
Switzerland

frankymusik Posted at 9-23 22:56
In any case, if it loses the radio connection, it switches back to normal mode, right?  
But then an obstacle detection is also active in that the drone stops before it crashes against a wall...

Never trust sensors!!! In my experience, sensors do not work well with vegetation and are not very effective in rocky areas, the surface of rocks is uneven, can contain wide fissures and confuse sensors. Then there are all the other environmental factors that could slow or hinder RTH as the battery drains quickly.
2022-9-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

FlyLow Posted at 9-23 23:29
Never trust sensors!!! In my experience, sensors do not work well with vegetation and are not very effective in rocky areas, the surface of rocks is uneven, can contain wide fissures and confuse sensors. Then there are all the other environmental factors that could slow or hinder RTH as the battery drains quickly.

... I agree with you of course! You shouldn't really rely on the obstacle detection!

You had written so "convincingly": ... just a few meters before a collision with the rock wall...

Of course that could have happened...
I've seen time and time again that my DJI FPV will decelerate and stop in front of obstacles, although sometimes I wish it had flown a little closer to the "obstacle"...

2022-9-24
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

frankymusik Posted at 9-23 22:56

On the FPV drone it will not stop if it see's a wall. It only slows down. Obstacle detection doesn't bring it to a stop.
2022-9-24
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

SgtRay Posted at 9-24 00:41
On the FPV drone it will not stop if it see's a wall. It only slows down. Obstacle detection doesn't bring it to a stop.

Perhaps the following excerpts from the user's manual "seduced" me into believing that obstacle detection actually stops the FPV...

(... user's manual page 19...):

obstacles...

obstacles...
2022-9-25
Use props
FlyLow
lvl.3
Switzerland

Thanks for the clarification; this is for a perfect scenario, no wind, no obstacles on the sides and above, etc. I don't trust RTH in my environment, too many things can go wrong, that is why I take control of the craft  as fast as possible if RTH has been activated.
2022-9-25
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

frankymusik Posted at 9-25 04:00
Perhaps the following excerpts from the user's manual "seduced" me into believing that obstacle detection actually stops the FPV...

(... user's manual page 19...):

Lol it maybe because I look at so much info. Yup it brakes (slows) but does not stop. Even DJI's videos show what it looks like. The time it takes to stop after loosing signal changes on speed, and mode. I could even believe height too.

It does stop on a dime at loss of signal or when the stop button is hit. When flying and it see's an obstacle it won't stop if you don't stop it.

This drone is a hybrid camera and action drone. Heavy on the word action. Fast moving and nimble. That alone means their are more ways to crash it than save it.  

I don't put all my trust in anything I don't have to. Even then only as long as I have to. Losing connection is always something to keep in mind.

Always try to anticipate where low and no signal will happen. When I can't I do the best I can. When that fails, as said above. I also take back control as soon as I can after RTH is on.
2022-9-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the tips
2022-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now