Overheat Warning!
1247 5 2015-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gelftwin
lvl.2

United States

Just a reminder that it is very hot outside.  With a heat index of over 100 in FL, I decided to give the new firmware/app a try.  All updates we good.  After flying for about 10min noticed video getting choppy, yes it was middle of the day in the sun. I decided to bring it, since we know when iPads heat up we experince this.  As soon as I land I get the iPad overheat warning.  Just a warning, it would suck to have this happen mid flight.
image.jpg
2015-8-9
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Learn to fly your Phantom in all the modes it can fly in! One of those modes is usually referred to as ATTI. If you're flying and lose GPS lock your Phantom will drift in the wind - or blow away in a strong wind!

JUST BECAUSE THE VIDEO GOES AWAY DOES NOT MEAN YOU'VE LOST CONTROL!!!

Again, like in my first paragraph, learn to fly the Phantom before you go willy-nilly. If you lose the video connection you're going to have to fly the thing pretty much on your own. If the video connection goes away, you can still fly your Phantom and bring it safely home. If you can't see it, what are you going to do?

In the event it's much too far away, i.e., you can't see it or you can see it but it's just a small blob in the sky, you have two options: (1) hope you can get lucky and get it close enough to identify the orientation and fly it back to your location. or (2) hope it either loses the control connection and automatically goes into RTH (Return To Home) mode - or you manually turn on RTH mode on your own.

Now - did you remember to set a fail-safe altitude for the RTH function?

These are all things (but not the only things!) you need to know before you ever launch your Phantom.
2015-8-9
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

if it does happen in mid flight which it will at some ppoint, no panicking required, if In LOS then just fly it as normal, if not in LOS then hit RTH and hopefully you would have set your fail safe height to higher than the highesr obstacle in the flight path.

good luck to all
2015-8-9
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-9 23:27
Learn to fly your Phantom in all the modes it can fly in! One of those modes is usually referred to  ...

What you have is an over heated iPad. My iPad and iPhone will give the "Overheat mWarning and the shut down. It is not your DJI Equipment. Not quite sure if this is what you meant or not? The only answer is to try to stay in the shade with the iPad.
2015-8-9
Use props
Gelftwin
lvl.2

United States

Yes I know this is not a DJI or Apple issue, I was just putting it out there for newbs and all.   Yes I agree with all above comments , learn to fly in atti (which I was for part of the flight) and don't panic if you loose video.  
2015-8-9
Use props
pr51
lvl.1

United States

Arizona here, been 110+ for a while and I've been flying w/ my P3A and Ipad2 mini...no overheat issues. But over here we tend to migrate under any shade possible when outside    But yeah if the iPad is in direct sunlight for a while this will happen.
2015-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules