715 13 2022-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

Hi all,
I noticed the other day that my batteries are a little more snug in the charger than I remember. I'm not sure if they are actually swelling or not though.

So, would somebody be able to take a set of calipers and tell me what the thickness of your batteries are with the calipers across the C of the "CE" logo? Mine is 20.9mm, 20.8mm, and 21.5mm.

Thank you!
2022-9-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no need to do that.  When they feel snug, they are swelling.  They begining of the end of the battery is what you sense.
2022-9-23
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 9-23 13:57
There is no need to do that.  When they feel snug, they are swelling.  They begining of the end of the battery is what you sense.

End of life?  How many cycles?  If it was 12 i would be worried.  100 then maybe nore reasonable.  I know that the FPV has an advertised cycle usage guess cause it runs fast and the drain on the 6s is high
2022-9-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

chillibadger Posted at 9-23 14:21
End of life?  How many cycles?  If it was 12 i would be worried.  100 then maybe nore reasonable.  I know that the FPV has an advertised cycle usage guess cause it runs fast and the drain on the 6s is high

Yeah, if less than 50 cycles, I would definitely think it worth peoples time and money to have DJI replace, but I also subscribe to the idea that batteries are consumables.  If you are running them in hot environments this stuff is going to happen.  They don't last forever, so get in the habit of ditching the swelling ones and replace.
2022-9-23
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/thread-238822-1-1.html#:~:text=The%20Mini%202%20uses%20LiPo,logarithmic%20based%20on%20discharge%20levels.
2022-9-23
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 9-23 14:28
Yeah, if less than 50 cycles, I would definitely think it worth peoples time and money to have DJI replace, but I also subscribe to the idea that batteries are consumables.  If you are running them in hot environments this stuff is going to happen.  They don't last forever, so get in the habit of ditching the swelling ones and replace.

I'm at about 80 charges with all 3. I've done pretty good at keeping the wear pretty even across them.

I contacted DJI and they said they would send me an email for video confirmation and would send me new batteries since the batteries are apparently covered by Care Refresh.

I haven't gotten the email yet.
2022-9-23
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 9-23 21:38
I'm at about 80 charges with all 3. I've done pretty good at keeping the wear pretty even across them.

I contacted DJI and they said they would send me an email for video confirmation and would send me new batteries since the batteries are apparently covered by Care Refresh.

That sounds good then. I only have 7 cycles on each of mine simce December but i have 2 other drones i have been flying
2022-9-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 9-23 21:38

That's pretty slick then.  Cool!

Yeah, when they get snug, don't start measuring, start planning.  It's not your imagination....they are swelling.... trust the feel.
2022-9-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Batteries dont really cost a vast amount, also, if less than 12 months old and under 200 cycles then they are still under warranty, but me personally, i wouldnt waste a Refresh on them, not unless your refresh is about to run out
2022-9-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Kindly please refer to the statement below for you to identify if your battery is swollen.

1. Put a battery on a flat table. Slightly touch the battery. If the battery vibrates, it indicates that the battery has swollen.

2. Place a ruler or hard card on a battery cell for comparison. If an obvious gap is visible, it indicates that the battery has swollen.

3. Slightly press the battery cell position. If it can be pressed in and appears in a balloon status, it indicates that the battery has swollen. If the position is hard and flat, it indicates that the battery is normal.

If you could send us a short video showing your battery that would be very helpful for us to check it here on our end. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-9-24
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

I've got two at 19.75mm
2022-9-25
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Just use a Dremel and trim off the protruding parts.
2022-9-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 9-25 02:31
Just use a Dremel and trim off the protruding parts.
[view_image]

Oh dear mother of god.
2022-9-25
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

TonyPHX Posted at 9-25 05:50
Oh dear mother of god.

I expected that! You are so helpless!
2022-9-25
Use props