3806 26 2022-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

Does yours also have this problem?
The magnetic quick-release adapter mount with the two clips supplied  tends to make the camera rotate slightly.
For a manual shooting it shouldn't cause any problems, but when you use  this action camera in more shaky situations the question is different.
Vibrations could compromise or wear the bottom of the cam or the holder.
I believe DJI needs to provide a better quick-release adapter mount for its  action camera buyers.

2022-9-24
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-24
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

For what it's worth there's similar slight rotational movement on the Action 2 in the mount, and I've used it for ~3000 miles of biking  in the past year with no issues.*

*Except the three times I've used the magnetic case, during which the camera has fallen four times.  But that's just because the magnetic case is trash.  Hopefully the Action 3 portrait case doesn't have the same issues.
2022-9-24
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Yep the Action 2 also moves and rotates like this.  Is not optimal and would have thought the updated OA3 mount would have eliminated this.  Maybe the Design team needs to revisit this again.
2022-9-24
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 9-25 02:06
Not sure why they even bothered with this magnetic nonsense. Marketing? Whoever wants to film vertically, they just need to add a single adapter between the camera mount and the base (eg tripod or bike mount base) and ta-da, the camera is now vertical. Rocket science at work…

Would make it bulky when using with a selfiestick for recording TikTok, Shorts, Reels etc. But I see your point.
2022-9-25
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi MarcoR. Would u plz post any footage that you think it is affected with Action3 quick-release mount?
We test varied fierce sports scenes and there would not be any issues.
2022-9-25
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

DJI-ytao Posted at 9-25 19:11
Hi MarcoR. Would u plz post any footage that you think it is affected with Action3 quick-release mount?
We test varied fierce sports scenes and there would not be any issues.

Hi ytao, obviously depends on where the action cam is installed.
On an FPV racer the frame usually resonates at a certain frequency, depending on many factors.
For example the one I used to test the Osmo Action 3 in hovering vibrates at 180 Hz.
If the cam is installed with the quick-release, the support will be continually stressed to this oscillation, even if minimal it will, this thing can generate a continuous rubbing between the quick-release and the bottom of the cam, it is not the top.
Normally a mechanical tightening does not wobble.
Obviously this will not cause any problems on the video, but mechanically anything stressed by vibrations will sooner or later wear out.
At the moment I am using the quick-release, but as I have reported as soon as possible I will create a different type of mount that wraps the cam without using that hook.

2022-9-25
Use props
djiuser_e2vTivTQwSXw
lvl.2

Poland

I noticed the same issue with my Osmo action 3. It's not a problem when you walk or run, but when the camera is mounted on the bike handlebar, and when you ride on not asphalt surfaces (like gravel), the camera is recording all sounds that come from the quick-release adapter. It's VERY annoying, can't watch this video with these additional sounds.
edit: I noticed that it moves more on the camera mounting base than on Horizontal-Vertical Protective Frame (mounted vertically).
2022-9-25
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-26
Use props
djiuser_i82mY6tgH5DN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98950 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have my camera yet, but what if you glued a little foam or rubber strip to the bottom or on the quick release clamp, would that help with any vibration and movement.
2022-9-26
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Unfortunately it looks like there is still some play and it wiggles like shown in the video.  DJI could take it out - but that would require yet another mount update.  The chances of it coming out on its own are fairly low as DJI informs in their own testing.  But any play is not good.  Audio sounds can transmit on bumpy terrain.  The mount can suffer wear.  Adding foam or rubber might help - but not eliminate the inherent design problem.  DJI should really redesign to closer tolerances to eliminate this.  The OA2 magnetic mount was even worse.  Is very convenient no doubt - just needs to be tightened down more.
2022-9-26
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-26
Use props
djiuser_i82mY6tgH5DN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98950 ft
  • >>>
United States

That rubber strip looks pretty slick, gonna try something similar when I receive my unit.
2022-9-26
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-27
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

osmonauta Posted at 9-27 07:03
DJI should’ve created a frame that has a standard GoPro mount at the bottom. Just like this one.

https://lamaxshop.eu/en/outdoor-cameras/743-lamax-frame-pro-lamax-x91-lamax-x101-8594175353266.html

Good idea, really good mount, 3D printing this would be very useful, we just need to draw it to size.
2022-9-27
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-27
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

It should be pretty clear to DJI Support that having this much play in the revised magnetic mount is not acceptable.  Even in this very light use application on a tripod - you can clearly hear noise as the camera rotates back and forth.  If actually tested in “varied fierce sports scenes” - there would be issues.  It should be straightforward to correct with another re-design if one was serious.  Obviously the mount changes made since the OA2 are insufficient.

This is a very bad look when compared to the old but solid GoPro mount.  Advancing that this is better - will be hard to market.  Convenience vs a loose mount.  Hmm?
2022-9-27
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJI should’ve created a frame that has a standard GoPro mount at the bottom. Just like this one.

https://lamaxshop.eu/en/outdoor-cameras/743-lamax-frame-pro-lamax-x91-lamax-x101-8594175353266.html

Pre-order at Ulanzi with both gopro and magnet mount possibilites

https://www.ulanzi.com/products/ulanzi-cage-for-dji-osmo-action-3-3204?_pos=1&_sid=f00f8bc41&_ss=r
ulanzi.jpg
2022-9-28
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-28
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

I have now finished designing it, I try to print it and if all goes well I publish it.

DJI_OA3_Moun_2t.PNG
2022-9-28
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-28
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

osmonauta Posted at 9-28 08:22
Oh, wow! That's impressive! I would definitely want one! Publishing, meaning the file? How much does it cost to print something like that? (...I know nothing about 3D printing). There are prolly differences in quality based on what material used in printing?
I don't think an opening is needed where on the battery/SD card side, no? After all, that compartment cannot be opened when the frame is on. The opening on the USB side is nice because this way you don't have to take the case off to charge it.

To change the battery you have to remove the cam from the support or it would become too weak.
It can be 3D printed in PLA, PETG, ABS or TPU, the cost of the printed material is negligible, 21 grams of filament, less than $0.5.
I have designed something to fly, therefore as light as possible, but it can also be made much more solid and protective even at the front.
2022-9-28
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-28
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Italy

I have published the mount I created, read the description carefully if you decide to test it.
I await your feedback, thanks!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5539858
2022-9-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

MarcoR Posted at 9-29 22:17
I have published the mount I created, read the description carefully if you decide to test it.
I await your feedback, thanks!

I will also get a friend to print out to check out, will give you feedback.

And thanks for making this
2022-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules