DJI Action 3: Test in low light of EIS priority.
4060 15 2022-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

I got my Action3 a few days ago but had only bad weather since (2 typhoons in a row). So I tested the ability of the EIS in low light. Hope it is useful. I am quite happy with the result of the EIS priority mode.

2022-9-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

60 frames exposed in one second. If you lower the frame rates each frame gets more light. I never understand people who shoot a lot of frames in low light. The less frames the more frames have time to gain light in low light. So under low light situations use always 30 on under frames each second.
2022-9-24
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Aavalaakso Posted at 9-24 06:00
60 frames exposed in one second. If you lower the frame rates each frame gets more light. I never understand people who shoot a lot of frames in low light. The less frames the more frames have time to gain light in low light. So under low light situations use always 30 on under frames each second.

One could probably write a book on low light, frame rates, the eye response time, "cinematic" blur and so on.
Just taking one example, if a video includes bright scenes and then dark scenes, and 60fps is desired for the bright scenes, then I would jut be happy if the dark scenes come out  not too bad.
2022-9-24
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Nice test.

About framerate, 60 fps is more realistic to human eye, also mostly used for action. 24-30 fps is used for non action and to give the video more blur (filmlook) especially with 24 fps.
2022-9-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

johansenfoto Posted at 9-24 06:30
Nice test.

About framerate, 60 fps is more realistic to human eye, also mostly used for action. 24-30 fps is used for non action and to give the video more blur (filmlook) especially with 24 fps.

I understand it with aps-c or higher sensor with small mpx value since it actually takes 60 photos in one second. In that time 1/60 sec small sensor is heavily compensating values with higher iso leading a lot more less quality picture and failing EIS to work.

I have seen many times people using very high fps in low light and they believed "bigger is better".
2022-9-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Yaman-Python Posted at 9-24 06:20
One could probably write a book on low light, frame rates, the eye response time, "cinematic" blur and so on.
Just taking one example, if a video includes bright scenes and then dark scenes, and 60fps is desired for the bright scenes, then I would jut be happy if the dark scenes come out  not too bad.

It is just understanding how each image is exposed technically and how i and p frames work.
2022-9-24
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-24
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

osmonauta Posted at 9-24 09:57
Good tip! I did not know that!

You are welcome
2022-9-24
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

osmonauta Posted at 9-24 11:26
Previously, I used to shoot with 30 fps because my phone was not capable or shooting 60. Then I started shooting 60 on my new iPhone because every time I panned, or a car passed by, it appeared jarring. With 60 fps the panning and other fast motion was/is way smoother.

Of course I am not a videographer and not familiar with filming "science", I just shoot for myself basically. But now that I'm getting an action cam, I might start reading up on this "science"...

Yes 60 fps is way much smoother than 30 because it takes 60 motion stops per second. But it requires a lot of light. You need to take 60 frames during one second. So each frame cant have more time to gain light than 1/60 sec. In 30 fps it has double time to gain light. If you have light then 50 or 60 is totally fine but when its getting dark and if you shoot 60 fps and if 1 frame is not gaining enough light sensor becomes more sensitive meaning more Gain aka pushing ISO value more up leading more Noise in the picture leading EIS to start fail because the image is not clear anymore to compare i/p frames direction.

Try it yourself. In very low light, there is clear difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. Lower is brighter with same ISO value.
2022-9-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

osmonauta Posted at 9-24 11:26
Previously, I used to shoot with 30 fps because my phone was not capable or shooting 60. Then I started shooting 60 on my new iPhone because every time I panned, or a car passed by, it appeared jarring. With 60 fps the panning and other fast motion was/is way smoother.

Of course I am not a videographer and not familiar with filming "science", I just shoot for myself basically. But now that I'm getting an action cam, I might start reading up on this "science"...

This is totally different topic but 30 fps can be smooth also when panning. It depends of you shutter speed but you maybe cant achieve it with these devices.

Also check "rolling shutter" from the net.
2022-9-24
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

---DELETED---
2022-9-24
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Aavalaakso Posted at 9-24 06:00
60 frames exposed in one second. If you lower the frame rates each frame gets more light. I never understand people who shoot a lot of frames in low light. The less frames the more frames have time to gain light in low light. So under low light situations use always 30 on under frames each second.

Unfortunately this is not an option with an EIS like rocksteady. It solely relies on high shutter speeds to function. This is what EIS priority mode actually does; it prioritizes high shutter speeds even under low light to keep Rocksteady working.  So you are getting very short exposure times (the manual says the target is at least 1/200) regardless of your chosen frame rate.

Under the circumstances choosing a higher frame rate might actually be better as your forced shutter speed would be slightly closer to 180 degrees...

PS: Put the camera on a tripod/gimbal, get rid of the EIS and then you are absolutely right of course.

2022-9-24
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

The EIS Priority looked more stable than without.  So it did what it was designed to do.  Increasing shutter speed is mandatory - and having the option to choose is better than not.  You want a brighter image with more shake - just turn it off.
2022-9-24
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

CemAygun Posted at 9-24 18:22
Unfortunately this is not an option with an EIS like rocksteady. It solely relies on high shutter speeds to function. This is what EIS priority mode actually does; it prioritizes high shutter speeds even under low light to keep Rocksteady working.  So you are getting very short exposure times (the manual says the target is at least 1/200) regardless of your chosen frame rate.

Under the circumstances choosing a higher frame rate might actually be better as your forced shutter speed would be slightly closer to 180 degrees...

Yes. That's the reason why I use only mechanical image stab. or monopod.

Monopods are actually underrated.
2022-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules