1065 6 2022-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

I constantly calibrate my IMU before flights because I use my drone for hyperlapse functions most of the time. But this time while trying to land, the drone (apparently) lost its altitude information and would not let me land. After about a minute, the battery was low enough that RTH took over and slammed the drone into the ground. It then flipped over and skipped along the ground a few times before I could do an emergency shutdown. Looking at the flight logs, the only thing I notice is that the IMU attitude turned negative, something I didn't know could happen. My altitude or position did not change and stayed the same from takeoff to landing.
This is the first time my drone has crashed since I purchased it in 2020 and I fly it regularly. I am not in a restricted area and I fly from this spot near my house all the time without issue. The .txt flight log is not showing much other than the negative IMU. Is there anything else I should look for? Thanks!

flight log snapshot

flight log snapshot
2022-9-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

best to get help/advice is to upload your log, use this link

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

post the uploaded link on here

VPS height is missing, but without it should follow down if RC stick is down.
For landing protection, also in RTH mode, drone needs VPS height......without is does not stop the decsent close to the ground.
Negative baro height is 'normal', plus or minus values at the same landing takeoff/landing spot is normal.

cheers
JJB

2022-9-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

You basically just described exacty what happened to my M2P a year ago. Even to the fact of flipping over and skidding across the ground. Contacted Dji and they replaced mine under warranty conditions. Mine would still fly after the crash but some settings wouldn't retain inputs.
2022-9-24
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have uploaded the flight log but not sure how to share it. Looking at the CSV file, it seems the OSD vps Height stays at 0.3 for the whole flight. RC sticks were normal, not stuck as far as I can tell.

2022-9-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jeffbake Posted at 9-24 13:00
I have uploaded the flight log but not sure how to share it. Looking at the CSV file, it seems the OSD vps Height stays at 0.3 for the whole flight. RC sticks were normal, not stuck as far as I can tell.

[view_image]

I constantly calibrate my IMU before flights because ...
There is no reason to recalibrate the IMU unless you've crashed the drone.

the drone (apparently) lost its altitude information and would not let me land.
The drone doesn't need any altitude information to land and it can't lose altitude information.

the only thing I notice is that the IMU attitude turned negative, something I didn't know could happen.
It can happen.
What do you think happens if you fly from a high point and fly lower?

In your case you just noticed a small change in the indicated height.
This is common and normal because indicated height comes from measurement of air pressure which can change over the duration of a flight.

it seems the OSD vps Height stays at 0.3 for the whole flight

That indicates either something blocking the view of the VPS sensors or a malfunction.
Do you have any accessory that could block the downward view?
Were you flying in foggy conditions?
Are the downward sensors clean?
2022-9-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-9-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

jeffbake Posted at 9-24 13:00

[view_image]

Hi,

if you use the link in post #2....that way you can share the log.
Log might explain why you could not bring the drone to a land.

0.3 all flight isn`t normal, causing the landing protection to  not function.
Sensor dirty, or wet of foggy fly weather.

cheers
JJB

2022-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules