1161 27 2022-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

In this video I show you how the new menu system is and I test out with the Cynova adapter and some more things.
Video is still processing so no HD/4K yet, but quality is good enough for be show already.

2022-9-24
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is annoying the old audio adapter won't work with new model.
However it seems less fussy you can use a mic with USB C plug directly into it, A USB adapter for Pocket 2 won't work either but I can also get audio with a kiwibird adapter I already had - from 3.5mm female to male USB C.
But it will still only accept a TRRS input not TRS.
You can use an adapter for that and it will work

2022-9-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

4wd Posted at 9-25 13:38
It is annoying the old audio adapter won't work with new model.
However it seems less fussy you can use a mic with USB C plug directly into it, A USB adapter for Pocket 2 won't work either but I can also get audio with a kiwibird adapter I already had - from 3.5mm female to male USB C.
But it will still only accept a TRRS input not TRS.

They even said that Cynova adapter would work, but like you saw it didn't.

I will probably get my usb-c mic adapter tomorrow, so will try it out asap.
2022-9-25
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Did you try recording to see if the adapter works even though the mic icon is not appearing?
2022-9-25
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

skysailor64 Posted at 9-25 15:51
Did you try recording to see if the adapter works even though the mic icon is not appearing?

Typically if there is no mic icon visible in the top right of the menubar - there is no feed from the external mic.  The problem with the OA2 especially was a very very hot pickup.  Zero gain was way too loud with a Saramonic.  Hopefully DJI Support has learned from this audio issue - and lowered the base mic gain threshold by -6db or more to match other manufacturer devices.

On my Google Pixel the Saramonic mic works perfectly.  Substantially increases the clarity and input volume a few db to sound just like what it should in the first place.  More importantly cutting out all wind buffeting noise in very windy conditions.  Like night and day - similar to my Nikon mic.  Super windy conditions - equals zero distracting wind noise.  Just super clean audio exactly like you want.

If DJI is not informed of issues like this - it makes it hard for them to address.  Us users often find the bugs so DJI can implement firmware changes and software updates.
2022-9-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

skysailor64 Posted at 9-25 15:51

Yes I tried twice and if you check this video you can clearly hear that is not record even if I did think it did

2022-9-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 9-25 17:10
Typically if there is no mic icon visible in the top right of the menubar - there is no feed from the external mic.  The problem with the OA2 especially was a very very hot pickup.  Zero gain was way too loud with a Saramonic.  Hopefully DJI Support has learned from this audio issue - and lowered the base mic gain threshold by -6db or more to match other manufacturer devices.

On my Google Pixel the Saramonic mic works perfectly.  Substantially increases the clarity and input volume a few db to sound just like what it should in the first place.  More importantly cutting out all wind buffeting noise in very windy conditions.  Like night and day - similar to my Nikon mic.  Super windy conditions - equals zero distracting wind noise.  Just super clean audio exactly like you want.

I saw a video yesterday where he used DJI Mic with his OA3 and then he could choose volume in his camera, so maybe it is possible when using adapter aswell. I will try it out later today when my package arrive.

Here is the video:

2022-9-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could you please show the various ways to transfer the video from the SDCard to your Iphone
2022-9-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work!
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-25 23:25
Could you please show the various ways to transfer the video from the SDCard to your Iphone

You have to call apple support for that
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Thank you, and today I will see how it will work with usb-c adapter, but will not make a video like this. Maybe just a shorts
2022-9-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 9-26 01:01
Thank you, and today I will see how it will work with usb-c adapter, but will not make a video like this. Maybe just a shorts

You're welcome.
Yeah nice!
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 9-26 01:06
You're welcome.
Yeah nice!

I ordered the wrong adapter, it was not usb-c
2022-9-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 9-26 06:12
I ordered the wrong adapter, it was not usb-c

Oh boy. Back to the webshop then.
2022-9-26
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This one does allow audio with TRRS 3.5mm input.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113649037383

Note a lot of mics are TRS so would need additional adapter or maybe there is a better one step solution to use microphones you have already.
I have a purple Panda one works with as that is default TRRS you usually need to adapt it to TRS for other cameras.
2022-9-26
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-25 23:08
Yes I tried twice and if you check this video you can clearly hear that is not record even if I did think it did
https://youtu.be/oUp0GOFFkD4

You might try getting a short usb-c male to usb-c female cable to use as an extender and try switching around the Cynova adapter to see it that works.  I found this was the case when I used the Cynova to make my aviation videos.  I had to run one long usb-c cable to the camera which was mounted outside on the wing and had the Cynova inside the cabin.  I then hooked power and audio to the Cynova.  I found that the orientation of all the cables at each of their ends was critical to this setup working properly. Cheers and thanks for the videos.  When I get my Osmo Action 3 in October I will be trying all of this as well.
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

skysailor64 Posted at 9-26 08:03
You might try getting a short usb-c male to usb-c female cable to use as an extender and try switching around the Cynova adapter to see it that works.  I found this was the case when I used the Cynova to make my aviation videos.  I had to run one long usb-c cable to the camera which was mounted outside on the wing and had the Cynova inside the cabin.  I then hooked power and audio to the Cynova.  I found that the orientation of all the cables at each of their ends was critical to this setup working properly. Cheers and thanks for the videos.  When I get my Osmo Action 3 in October I will be trying all of this as well.

I actually had this thought when I tried it again today, that it could be it needed to be switched around.

2022-9-26
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-25 23:11
I saw a video yesterday where he used DJI Mic with his OA3 and then he could choose volume in his camera, so maybe it is possible when using adapter aswell. I will try it out later today when my package arrive.

Here is the video:

Yeah the video actually confirms the exact same problem the OA2 has.  Camera gain control starts at zero and is hot by 12db.  The user needed to reduce gain on the wireless mic by -12db.  DJI Support should use this video as a confirmation to reduce in-camera gain boost by -12db.

My use case is boating sailing biking and driving a droptop.  The on-board mic is terrible in very windy conditions with wind reduction on.  But hoping to adapt my Nikon mic and wired lav to eliminate wind noise.  My Saramonic only works when wind is not present - as the base camera gain is way too hot.  The sound of the wireless DJI is ok - but many others connect a wired lav as well.

For skiing snowboarding diving will have to just use the on-board mics.  Hopefully the selfie stick AR will work properly.  In very cold - the main issue is reduced battery life.  With 3 batteries the OA3 should be fine in most situations.

2022-9-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Does not work c auses  no audio on playback
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

So it need TRRS mic with the adapter, nice find Fishy.
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 9-26 09:37
Yeah the video actually confirms the exact same problem the OA2 has.  Camera gain control starts at zero and is hot by 12db.  The user needed to reduce gain on the wireless mic by -12db.  DJI Support should use this video as a confirmation to reduce in-camera gain boost by -12db.

My use case is boating sailing biking and driving a droptop.  The on-board mic is terrible in very windy conditions with wind reduction on.  But hoping to adapt my Nikon mic and wired lav to eliminate wind noise.  My Saramonic only works when wind is not present - as the base camera gain is way too hot.  The sound of the wireless DJI is ok - but many others connect a wired lav as well.

OA3 have actually way better wind protection than the old OA
2022-9-26
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

No doubt with the wind screen on the bottom - DJI is trying different options to reduce wind buffeting noise.  But listening to all videos testing OA3 in-camera wind noise - it is terrible compared to external options.  Pretty sure will get something to work reasonably vs buying the DJI Mic.  Nice thing about the DJI is that it clicks in and is relatively small.  Just am trying to avoid buying more stuff - if sound is not improved much - or at all.  As noted many use a wire lav with the wireless DJI Mic anyways.
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 9-26 10:47
No doubt with the wind screen on the bottom - DJI is trying different options to reduce wind buffeting noise.  But listening to all videos testing OA3 in-camera wind noise - it is terrible compared to external options.  Pretty sure will get something to work reasonably vs buying the DJI Mic.  Nice thing about the DJI is that it clicks in and is relatively small.  Just am trying to avoid buying more stuff - if sound is not improved much - or at all.  As noted many use a wire lav with the wireless DJI Mic anyways.

With my old OA I put small pieces of cotton pad over each mic to remove all wind noise.

I still haven't tested OA3 while driving fast, but I will use a lav mic anyway or most times.
Actually the BOYA mic I received today record to both channels, so I doesn't have to edit that in post.
2022-9-26
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Yeah pretty much tried everything with OA2.  Foam tape whatever helped but was simply not good enough.  Once past a certain wind speed threshold - major wind noise and clipping.  With my Nikon with dead cat and low cut on - clean sound in perfect stereo.  Lav will be mono - but can be taped to cut wind noise.  Personally like stereo more as long as it is perfectly clean.  Much more immersive.
2022-9-26
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-26 10:38
OA3 have actually way better wind protection than the old OA

hnmm not convinced of the built in wind reduction for outdoor use, nothing beats a good dead cat.
With that said one thing to try is those small stick on dead cats, only issue is the front two mics are on either side of the light balance sensor in the logo, probably not a good idea to cover that up LOL
2022-9-26
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully Cynova comes out with a updated adapter that fits the OA 3.   Having the ability to use external power and a external mic is priceless.
No reason why they could not make a updated adapter that works and fits in the opening with the correct orientation i.e. the USB passthru on the bottom and 3.5mm jack on the back.
I don't understand why DJI can't simply put a 3.5mm jack in the camera, they can but a DAC in the end of a USB cable so no reason they can't put one in a big action cam.
All the action cam makers must be part of the Action Cam mafia to prevent a built in 3.5mm jack hahhahahahah
2022-9-26
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

No 3.5mm as DJI wants you to buy their wireless Mic that is why.  

From what I can tell it looks like there is a very high probability that my wired Nikon TRS will work with the OA3 via TRRS adapter.  Only question will be if the OA3 gain setting is ok.  This should hopefully provide very clean stereo audio in very windy conditions we often experience.  A bit cumbersome but stereo audio should be awesome.

My testing shows each device and cable combination can have slightly different audio outcomes.  Some louder - some softer - some with low noise floor - some with zero noise floor.  Really depends with trial and error.

Apparently if we ended up with the DJI Mic - the right lav combination is key otherwise you get a ton of wireless audio signal distortion.  If OA3 gain is still too high - will likely get the DJI Mic with -12db and use our lav - which should play nice.  Sound would not be optimal as 2 transmitters use separate left and right channels to give stereo.  Where 1 transmitter only gives mono like a lav.  My hope is that we can avoid the DJI Mic and just stay old school wired.
2022-9-26
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 9-26 16:15
No 3.5mm as DJI wants you to buy their wireless Mic that is why.  

From what I can tell it looks like there is a very high probability that my wired Nikon TRS will work with the OA3 via TRRS adapter.  Only question will be if the OA3 gain setting is ok.  This should hopefully provide very clean stereo audio in very windy conditions we often experience.  A bit cumbersome but stereo audio should be awesome.

If I doesn't get it to work with the new adapter I ordered yesterday, I will go back to using my external Zoom H1 recorder and sync in post like I used to years ago.

Even buying an external recorder is way cheaper than using DJI Mic or Røde Mic.
2022-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules