Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI AVATA - Can we hope for 10-bit color video?
4733 24 2022-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans58eda3d2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44948 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Good morning everyone. Would it be possible to hope for a firmware update leading to 10-bit color video?
As with the Mini 3 Pro, it would be nice for AVATA to switch to 10-bit color as well.

There's news about that?

thank you all

2022-9-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Avata supports an 8-bit camera and it can support up to 10-bit files. With regard to your query,  I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the engineers' evaluation, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-9-25
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1478842 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Please add 10-bit colour, as well as other colour profiles
2022-9-25
Use props
Codegit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141719 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Yes, please add 10bit file support. When I grade the 8 bit footage it is mostly unusable with plenty of banding, this makes the Avata not suitable for filming anything serious. The drone has so much potential for making seriously good film footage, but is terribly disadvantaged with the low quality bit rate.
2022-9-26
Use props
fabiangraf
lvl.1
Germany

Hi Guys,

we realy need on the Avata:

- 10bit Color !!!
- Custom Color Profil - Sharpness, Saturation....
- Custom Control Stick Settings ( Gain and so on...) not only in the manuel mode ! Why we cant chance this settings in N or S mode, like all the other DJI drones?

@DJI Paladin - what do you think?
2022-10-27
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

fabiangraf Posted at 10-27 03:48
Hi Guys,

we realy need on the Avata:

I agree. We need settings similar to those of the Mini 3 Pro
2022-10-27
Use props
JAMh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4754715 ft
  • >>>
Spain

10bits will the best update for AVATA videos

Any expected date for new firmware?
2022-10-27
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

What DJI Paladin said in his first reply is really worrying - if the camera sensor or processor is only capable of capturing in 8-bit, then this is a hardware limitation and there is no way to get 10-bit though firmware.

As much as I want to get 10-bit out of the Avata, I do not feel that this is even possible if the hardware cannot support it.
2022-10-28
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Ken-W Posted at 10-28 23:57
What DJI Paladin said in his first reply is really worrying - if the camera sensor or processor is only capable of capturing in 8-bit, then this is a hardware limitation and there is no way to get 10-bit though firmware.

As much as I want to get 10-bit out of the Avata, I do not feel that this is even possible if the hardware cannot support it.

I agree with you. I'm confused. Is it a hardware limitation or just a software limitation like in the Mini 3 Pro?
Strange that they have diversified the two video modules of AVATA and Mini 3 Pro. It doesn't seem like a good strategy to me.
2022-10-29
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

OnePixel Posted at 10-29 02:13
I agree with you. I'm confused. Is it a hardware limitation or just a software limitation like in the Mini 3 Pro?
Strange that they have diversified the two video modules of AVATA and Mini 3 Pro. It doesn't seem like a good strategy to me.

I suspect it;’s the same camera module, same limitations. It baffles me why DJI would think it’s okay to use an 8-bit camera module when people are using these devices for shooting video in 2022 (and practically any brand-name manufacturer worth its salt is already on 10-bit

Also, I have no idea how DJI’s promotional videos show such excellent color depth - either the promo videos are not shot with the OA3 or Avata, or my technical skills with a camera and post-processing really sucks
2022-10-29
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Ken-W Posted at 10-29 12:24
I suspect it;’s the same camera module, same limitations. It baffles me why DJI would think it’s okay to use an 8-bit camera module when people are using these devices for shooting video in 2022 (and practically any brand-name manufacturer worth its salt is already on 10-bit

Also, I have no idea how DJI’s promotional videos show such excellent color depth - either the promo videos are not shot with the OA3 or Avata, or my technical skills with a camera and post-processing really sucks

I think with next firmware upgrades we will see if there will be 10 bits. However, I think that the strategy of selling a product at 8 bits and then promising to make it 10 bits without knowing when, I find it not correct.
The promotional videos do not know which camera they used. Even if they used AVATA, who knows what settings they used, using ND filters and color correction we don't know what workflow they used. The important thing is that the footage satisfies us.

Greetings
2022-10-30
Use props
fans3bbfe589
lvl.1
Flight distance : 365427 ft
United States

I would also like to see a 10 bit firmware upgrade for the 03 air unit and avata. I wasn’t going to by the mini 3 pro until DJI released the 10 bit firmware, but when they did I was definitely sold! I have an 03 air unit on order, and I would want to add one to every fpv drone I have (way too many of them ;)  if they update to 10 bit color; as that is a huge help when color grading footage!
2022-11-28
Use props
Hemon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11551329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

10-bit color is very necessary! Especially for dji drones, which are created for make content.
The Avata camera hardware is identical to the dji action 2 and dji action 3 cameras. Most recently, dji introduced a firmware update for action 3, adding timecodes and 10-bit color there. I'm really looking forward to the same update on Avata and on action 2!
And it would also be great if they added the ability to record 25 frames on Avata and dji fpv drone.
2022-12-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Rarely see banding if any, but yeah why not have 10 bits if possible!
2022-12-3
Use props
Codegit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141719 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

You will only see the banding when you push the dynamic range and colours in post. It is not a bad colour grading process, just simple science.
2022-12-4
Use props
Max1997
lvl.2

Spain

Pushing this topic as DJI Osmo Action 3 just got 10 Bit Color via a software update!
2022-12-8
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

I agree.
Since Action 3 has earned 10 bits, it is necessary to forcefully ask that AVATA also have 10 bits
2022-12-8
Use props
Elendil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 458904 ft
Philippines

Wish granted with the new firmware update that has been released. 10bit DCINELIKE is now supported.
2022-12-8
Use props
rgames
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone verified that the 10-bit recording provides a benefit?  I'm guessing it does not, and if not it's not worth the added hassle of the tether to a phone that is part of the latest update.
2022-12-12
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

rgames Posted at 12-12 15:41
Has anyone verified that the 10-bit recording provides a benefit?  I'm guessing it does not, and if not it's not worth the added hassle of the tether to a phone that is part of the latest update.

I don't understand his reasoning. I guess you don't have to do post production on the footage. Don't make updates it's not possible to extend it indefinitely.
2022-12-14
Use props
Luca Rubino
lvl.4
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

rgames Posted at 12-12 15:41

You could have 10-bit benefits if you do color post production.
If you don't, you won't have any benefits at all. And it's better to use normal picture profile (8-bit) in this scenario.  
So it depends on you, and what you do with your footages.
2022-12-15
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

You can see my test on the 10 Bit here

2022-12-15
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Luca Rubino Posted at 12-15 03:31
If you don't, you won't have any benefits at all. And it's better to use normal picture profile (8-bit) in this scenario.  
So it depends on you, and what you do with your footages.

"... it's better to use normal picture profile (8-bit)..."
Blissful ignorance
2022-12-15
Use props
rgames
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Luca Rubino Posted at 12-15 03:31
So it depends on you, and what you do with your footages.

Understood - "could" is the key word there.  Dumping output from 8-bit hardware into a 10-bit format doesn't provide any advantage.  Even if the hardware is 10-bit there still might not be an advantage.

That's what I'm trying to figure out - is there any demonstrated advantage?

There are all sorts of "8-bit vs. 10-bit" comparisons for all sorts of cameras but I haven't seen that done for the Avata.  My suspicion is the hardware isn't good enough to make use of a 10-bit format so there's no advantage.  And given the disadvantage of having to tether to a phone I'm not sure if the latest update is worthwhile.

Thanks
2022-12-15
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

So we live on assumptions.

Let's go well
2022-12-16
Use props