Feature Request: Future Mavic Portrait Mode (Square Sensor)
540 4 2022-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

GoPro released the Hero 11 recently and they did something I thought was interesting.  They included an almost square (8:7) image sensor fpr the purpose of horizon lock.  That got me thinking about the benfit of a square sensor.  The original Mavic Pro had a portrait mode which was acheived by rotating the gimbal 90deg.  That feature has been absent on the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 3.  This is presumably due to the gimbal design not allowing 90deg rotation of the camera, as the camera and gimbals are bigger on the newer Mavics.  Enter the square sensor, If DJI developed a square sesnor that would allow for a portrait mode without limitations of the gimbal.  At the minimum, I would keep the long dimension of the Mavic 3 camera and increase the short dimension to match it.  I would then have setting that you can apply guidelines in the most popular aspect ratios or set the camera to preview the most popular aspect ratios (4:3, 3:4, 3:2, 2:3, 16:9, 9:16 or 1:1) on your screen but save the full sensor read-out in RAW mode.  This would allow for you initial framing of the shot but also allow you to go back and reframe if needed.  On my Canon R5 the Sensor is 3:2 but I can set the aspect ratio to 16:9 or 1:1, but the RAW file saved to the memory card is the full sensor read-out not just the cropped image.  Im interested to hears thoughts and discuss this.      
2022-9-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DemolitionMan14. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. I will forward these information to the designated DJI Department for attention. Thank you.
2022-9-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

And nothing more on this will ever be heard.
2022-9-26
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 9-26 20:22
And nothing more on this will ever be heard.

Way to have a positive outlook!  Every comment you've made on my posts are negative or basically telling me I don't need a function.   
2022-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 9-27 04:47
Way to have a positive outlook!  Every comment you've made on my posts are negative or basically telling me I don't need a function.

I was simply commenting that that canned reply you got about forwarding to the designated department is the standard reply to any suggestion.
And nothing is ever heard again about them.
2022-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules