Video Collection of Manual Mode - Crash Issue (12 videos)
2666 30 2022-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

So, lets collect the videos here that show the same behaviour that the drone just crashes out of nowhere in manual mode and stops responding to control input for a moment.

What I and I guess everyone wants to hear, it what DJI has to say about this issue officially! What is the cause? What can be done to prevent this?

Found another one and I put this video as first as this show an extrnal vieuw of what the drone does when this happens, you see the FPV and 3th person view from external camera.
When you turn, it drops IMMEDIATLY HARD:

Quick Turn & Avata dropped

Quick Turn & Avata dropped

Quick Turn & Avata dropped (especially look at 10:17 in this video, side by side from the first video, its a 1:1 replica of the crash)

This one is a bit different, did a loop and drone just stopped responding...

This one is very weird, the drone, after just going into manual mode, puts itself into the ground at full speed the moment he synced the control sticks...

Found a new one, same quick turn and flip crash:

And another one, user stated:manual mode, made sharp turn right and drone nosedived to the ground:

Cannot understand a word, but the issue is at 5:50, he managed to save the drone:

Almost  crashed, if you put on subs, he talks about the gimbal going crazy when doing quick moves. But ofcourse the gimball responds to the motion detected,
but the motion of the "snapping" is the same as others before they crashed it. Also in his video on a 2nd "test" you see it falling to the ground and he could still save it.

Lets ignore the bird chase, but at 0:44 he flicks the drone, you see the now classic gimbal-twitch and drone drops down...

Big snap and crash at 1:00 after a fast turn:

Another one at 4:35, he shows and talks about the issue... And happens a few more times after that before he jumps himself

If there are more videos you find, send them, ill update the list!

2022-9-26
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

10 vids and counting!
2022-9-26
Use props
Frontliner 2020
Second Officer
Philippines

interesting videos...
2022-9-26
Use props
Ales M.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150026 ft
Cambodia

Let's make a conversation under this post, as it's necessary for DJI to at least answer our questions about this Avata problem! I have my Avata in my backpack, completely scared to even take it out to fly... Still flying only in Liftoff Sim for practicing and waiting for this problem to be fixed!

DJI TEAM PLEASE ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING WITH NEW DJI AVATA!
2022-9-27
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229255 ft
Germany

It's not a DJI problem, it's that these guys all can't fly
2022-9-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Xviews Posted at 9-27 03:09

If that is the case, they need to tell us what you cant do, but a simple quick YAW isnt allowed then? This is what whoops are meant to do...
I think quick Yaws are just a way you can fly, if you do that above water, its the end of that drone... Atleast software could limit this movement perhaps if it notices it goes above a certain limit or so... Not sure

2022-9-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Ales M. Posted at 9-27 02:15
Let's make a conversation under this post, as it's necessary for DJI to at least answer our questions about this Avata problem! I have my Avata in my backpack, completely scared to even take it out to fly... Still flying only in Liftoff Sim for practicing and waiting for this problem to be fixed!

Dont be scared, just fly it with your motion controller for now and if you do use the FPV, try to avois quick yaws for now, I would say, or experiment at great heights. This is what I will do when I get my FPV controller.
2022-9-27
Use props
Ales M.
lvl.2
Cambodia

Nees Posted at 9-27 05:08
Dont be scared, just fly it with your motion controller for now and if you do use the FPV, try to avois quick yaws for now, I would say, or experiment at great heights. This is what I will do when I get my FPV controller.

Yeah I fly with Motion Controller a lot already and want to get to some FPV, but I'm scared to do even Split S when I see it. Yeah I know I can fly carefully, but it's a such sad story to spend $2,000 on something that you know that is having some big important issues and DJI is ignoring it, not replying to any messages which have something to do with this issue.
2022-9-27
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17907 ft
United States

This is obviously a reproducible event, as the 1st video shows at 0:30sec mark, and numerous other videos showing the same flight issue.
The 3rd video at the end of the video at the 10:07 mark doesn't even do a quick yaw turn, and appears like a typical yaw turn one would do, and it falls similarily.
Sure, saying "not to do this stick motion can be said", but sometimes when flying manual, you need to do a quick turn with yaw, and either unavoidable and difficult to retrain your muscle memory not to do this particular motion.  I hope DJI is really able to fix this issue because it is such a nice drone to fly otherwise.
2022-9-27
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Germany

Nees Posted at 9-27 05:04
If that is the case, they need to tell us what you cant do, but a simple quick YAW isnt allowed then? This is what whoops are meant to do...
I think quick Yaws are just a way you can fly, if you do that above water, its the end of that drone... Atleast software could limit this movement perhaps if it notices it goes above a certain limit or so... Not sure

"yaw washout" to avoid this, you just have to fly better. It is very simple physics. Install the new firmware and do an IMU calibration > no problems
2022-9-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Plasmo Posted at 9-27 05:55
This is obviously a reproducible event, as the 1st video shows at 0:30sec mark, and numerous other videos showing the same flight issue.
The 3rd video at the end of the video at the 10:07 mark doesn't even do a quick yaw turn, and appears like a typical yaw turn one would do, and it falls similarily.
Sure, saying "not to do this stick motion can be said", but sometimes when flying manual, you need to do a quick turn with yaw, and either unavoidable and difficult to retrain your muscle memory not to do this particular motion.  I hope DJI is really able to fix this issue because it is such a nice drone to fly otherwise.

This! And exactly, in the 3th video was a pretty smooth turn...

And its true that not doing a way of turning is not the way to go, as this is what a quad is supposed to be able to do. sure it could perhaps loose some height, but this out of nowhere tilt and drop, thats not pilot error imo. Still waiting to hear otherwise from DJI!
2022-9-27
Use props
New2Mini2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3895528 ft
Canada

And for every person that posts a crash video, there are dozens of others that have the same problem but don't post anything.
2022-9-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ouch, this is hard to watch
2022-9-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

New2Mini2 Posted at 9-27 06:21
And for every person that posts a crash video, there are dozens of others that have the same problem but don't post anything.

But you can say the same for 'non crashing flights' (I feel they will outnumber the ones that end with a crash by far)
2022-9-27
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's call Yaw Washout.  Very common with ducted quads.  
2022-9-27
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ales M. Posted at 9-27 02:15
Let's make a conversation under this post, as it's necessary for DJI to at least answer our questions about this Avata problem! I have my Avata in my backpack, completely scared to even take it out to fly... Still flying only in Liftoff Sim for practicing and waiting for this problem to be fixed!

I would be more scared of the props breaking in 1/2 during flight.  (happened to me!)
Scared me enough to get 2 years of DJI Care Refresh for the replacement.
2022-9-27
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Xviews Posted at 9-27 03:09

Get lost, nitwit
2022-9-27
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Woobisah Posted at 9-27 07:44

No it’s not, it’s a bug
2022-9-27
Use props
Xviews
Second Officer
Germany

oh like a little kid crying for mommy
2022-9-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

I was reading about it before, and someone even said that ducs would HELP with yaw washout... Sooooo
2022-9-27
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 9-27 16:56
I was reading about it before, and someone even said that ducs would HELP with yaw washout... Sooooo

Not sure who would have said that, but when you make a fast yaw like that the air is going over the ducts causing it to lose lift.
2022-9-28
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DRAGenDROP Posted at 9-27 13:29
No it’s not, it’s a bug

You should not fly it then because DJI is not going to be able to fix those type of flight characteristics.
2022-9-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Been reading some more, this seems to be more like an ESC Desync, this should be fixable to a certain degree.

Also this guy talks about it at 2:00 what he encountered as a pro pfv flyer and also feels like its a desync, but ofcourse he cant look into the logs...

This is a VERY interesting video, this seems like what the issue is and explains it in the first minute:

2022-9-28
Use props
Ales M.
lvl.2
Cambodia

https://youtu.be/0bqwYdp6YxA

Another video with someone having same issues.
2022-9-29
Use props
SnowSkier Pilot
lvl.4
  • >>>
Portugal

As far as I can see, this problem is more related with the Manual Mode.
Sport Mode and Normal Mode have less problems...
I want to buy the Avata but I'm concerned with all this.
2022-9-29
Use props
hearhear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15552234 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is not a bug in the system. I't's caused by vortex ring state also called thumble or flight controller flip out. Watch this video and you will know a lot more, 100%

2022-9-30
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

A not so special turn that made it crash and continue to fly while on the ground... Very odd
2022-10-1
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nees Posted at 9-26 14:19
10 vids and counting!
So no reaction DJI…
2022-10-2
Use props
deeb
New

Germany

Hello Dear Aviators,
has the newest firmware update (issued in December) resolved the propwash issue?

Has anyone got a chance and will to try it out?
2022-12-12
Use props
fansebae
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7672598 ft
  • >>>
Canada

deeb Posted at 12-12 10:57
Hello Dear Aviators,
has the newest firmware update (issued in December) resolved the propwash issue?

No fix. Just a bandaid.  
2022-12-12
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

hearhear Posted at 9-30 16:22
This is not a bug in the system. I't's caused by vortex ring state also called thumble or flight controller flip out. Watch this video and you will know a lot more, 100%

Yes and no....
it IS a problem on all ducted drones, but NOT to the extend the Avata has this....
When it occurs on the avata, it totally flips and you have NO control over the drone. you cannot correct it for a certain amount of time. In that time, it could have hit something (in best case, not a person)

A friend of mine flies ducted drones a lot, he does internation drone races, he also stated this and based this on his experience with A LOT of drones and after 2 flights with the avata....

His oppinion: It's the FC that has a "brainfart" when this happens.... and this makes the problem worse and this is the reason the "flip and crash" is this severe.
He is able to recreate this with one of his ducted drones when he totally messes up the FC settings....He could also recreate this with the avata with the MC, in sports mode.... so not even in manual mode with the FPV controller.
2022-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules