How low can you go before it hits the ground?
4564 16 2022-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I've not actually found any info about this so far, and not brave enough to test it out, but understanding that the Avata has
  • "In addition to the built-in propeller guard, Avata features downward binocular vision and ToF infrared sensing for even greater safety. These sensors detect obstacles below and allow Avata to perform low-altitude or indoor flight. [10]"
  • "10. DJI Avata only supports downward obstacle sensing when used with DJI FPV Remote Controller 2, or DJI Motion Controller in N Mode and S Mode."
  • "Try out Avata's low-altitude flight and safely glide tantalizingly close to the ground. [11] This, combined with the super-wide FOV, creates an exhilarating, one-of-a-kind perspective."

^ that's all from the Avata product page on DJI: https://www.dji.com/ae/avata

Now, this seems to imply that I can actually fly real close to the ground and not actually crash into it, but it doesn't seem to be the case for me - either that or I've not noticed it due to being a complete noob and coward

Simply put, assuming that
  • I'm flying across a relatively flat piece of ground (dirt/grass field or road)
  • I'm in Sport or Normal mode
  • I'm using the Motion Controlle
  • I'm flying at full speed
  • I have the Motion Controller set to descend

Will the Avata crash into the ground or would it somehow find a way to maintain a minimum height (e.g. 0.25m) and not crash, assuming that it's not flying into a bush/rock/tree?

And is there a way to set the minumum height?
2022-9-26
Use props
celltx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7399311 ft

Israel

DJI video "Fly for the First Time" shows quite a fast flight at zero altitude at 0:34 time:
https://cdn.djivideos.com/watch/86a761b4-d8e5-4e23-bb3a-0cdca40746bf?autoplay=false&poster=

avata0.JPG
2022-9-27
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

celltx Posted at 9-27 07:17
DJI video "Fly for the First Time" shows quite a fast flight at zero altitude at 0:34 time:
https://cdn.djivideos.com/watch/86a761b4-d8e5-4e23-bb3a-0cdca40746bf?autoplay=false&poster=[Image]

I think that screenshot shows 0 rate of descent but it is 3.2m above ground?
2022-9-27
Use props
celltx
lvl.4

Israel

I believe the 3.2m is measured by GPS with respect to the starting point. The 0m is the height at location measured by the ToF sensor on the bottom, probably complemented by the bottom stereo camera.
If you fly too low, the number turns red. If you fly high, it disappears beyond the ToF sensor range of 3m or so.
2022-9-27
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

celltx Posted at 9-27 09:48
I believe the 3.2m is measured by GPS with respect to the starting point. The 0m is the height at location measured by the ToF sensor on the bottom, probably complemented by the bottom stereo camera.
If you fly too low, the number turns red. If you fly high, it disappears beyond the ToF sensor range of 3m or so.

I guess that kinda makes sense. I’ve had times where it has gone into negative figures, not sure what’s going on
2022-9-27
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

celltx Posted at 9-27 09:48
I believe the 3.2m is measured by GPS with respect to the starting point. The 0m is the height at location measured by the ToF sensor on the bottom, probably complemented by the bottom stereo camera.

Just double checked the user guide - that figure does say that it's "Distance to the Ground
Displays the current altitude information of the aircraft from the ground when the aircraft is less than 10 m above the ground"

So now the question remains - if I'm in N or S and have my stick pointing down and on full throttle, will the aircraft crash or will the downward facing sensors keep the drone from crashing?

I've been quite conservative flying this thing so far, and if the sensors work to stop me from flying it into the ground, I can get a little more "adventurous"
2022-9-27
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have hit the grassy knoll during a fast moving ground flight. I am guessing the sensors help some but are not fast enough to adjust or read the ground altitude at faster speeds. Keep being cautions.
2022-9-27
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17907 ft
United States

if using motion controller, you can actually fly as low as possible and the avata won't hit the ground while moving forward...only problem is what others above said if there is a sudden hill it could hit it.... so as long as your terrain is flat it works
2022-9-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You can just push it into the ground, it will just show you how high you are, how low YOU go is your choice. Ive been as low as 30CM and it didnt stop me from going lower... I think if i wanted I can just go to zero as the video shows.
2022-9-27
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336657 ft
Australia

I don’t know the exact answer but I find it extremely easy to fly very low to the ground without it feeling like I’m going to crash so I have impression that the software is helping with low flight but that doesn’t mean it won’t crash if you deliberately try to crash
2022-9-27
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

The replies have been quite confidence inspiring - looks like there's *some* assistance going on, and I'm going to head out later and see if I do accidentally put it into the ground
2022-9-27
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ken-W Posted at 9-27 23:18
The replies have been quite confidence inspiring - looks like there's *some* assistance going on, and I'm going to head out later and see if I do accidentally put it into the ground

Make sure you have avata care refresh if not already. The slightest crash can cause the props to fall apart and a ESC (motor) to fail. [happened to me]   Stay cautious, the frame on this thing is tough, but the components.. not so much.
2022-9-28
Use props
pedzsan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just did a test.  I flew through some lush grass going moderate speed with the motion controller asking the drone to go down (by aiming the controller slightly down) and it would get (my guess) about a foot off the ground but not lower.  This was in "normal" flight mode.
2022-9-28
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the record you can absolutely run ANY drone into the ground.  The downward sensors are helpful but will not save you in every situation.  If for example your in a very flat area (like the beach) and a 1'-2' bump (or mound of sand sneaks up on you)...let's say while in SPORTS mode (as an example and your going 30MPH).  We'll, your going to hit that!  Some sample 'low flying' I did at the beach a few weeks ago.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H0hh ... IkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ
2022-9-28
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

NOTE:  If your looking for 'DETAILED' information about the 'VISION System' on the AVATA please also check out page 25 of the user manual.  Lots of detail in there but it DOES specifically say this;  "....Note:  That the Downward Vision System & Infrared Sensing System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying too fast".

It then goes onto list much more detail about what the Vision System can or can NOT do.  Bottom line....do NOT solely rely on the downward facing system for altitude control.  
2022-9-28
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

RGMGFitness Posted at 9-28 09:21
NOTE:  If your looking for 'DETAILED' information about the 'VISION System' on the AVATA please also check out page 25 of the user manual.  Lots of detail in there but it DOES specifically say this;  "....Note:  That the Downward Vision System & Infrared Sensing System may NOT function properly when the aircraft is flying too fast".

It then goes onto list much more detail about what the Vision System can or can NOT do.  Bottom line....do NOT solely rely on the downward facing system for altitude control.

Yep, that's where I figured out most of what the vision system is supposed to do, but not sure how "fast" fast is and was wondering if any of the DJI support team would chime in ;)
2022-9-28
Use props
celltx
lvl.4

Israel

Another video demoing the low altitude flights shows 0.1ft=3cm altitude at the time 7:30 and after:

2022-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules