Weak Signal - Please adjust antenna.
6969 16 2022-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

Everytime I try to fly I now get this 'weak signal - please adjust antenna' warning.  It makes no difference how I adjust the antenna I still get the message.  If I am able to take off, I am only brave enough to go straight up a little ways and then straight down cause signal drops out intermittently.  Everything else is working 100% fine.  Even if I am standing directly under the drone and it's only a few feet in the air I still get the message.

If anyone has any idea what I could try I would be more grateful than you can ever imagine.  I have updated all the firmware etc.
2022-9-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TracieLouise. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please fly your DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

2022-9-26
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-26 23:13
Hello there TracieLouise. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please fly your DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

[view_image]

It's a P4P+ V2 so has it's own screen.  It has happened now at various different locations, literally hundreds of miles apart since I'm on a travelling journey.  I do get the 'calibrate compass' warning pretty much every single time I fly which is super annoying.  Usually it lets me calibrate straight away and not a huge deal.  But now it is taking ages and ages before the screen changes and even lets me do the calibration.

I have not had my phone (iPhone 8+)  with me when I have tried to fly so there shouldn't be interference from that and I am literally in Aussie outback and never fly near buildings.
2022-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-26 23:13
Hello there TracieLouise. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please fly your DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

[view_image]

The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it.
Why do DJI moderators give such stupid answers?
Magnetic interference has no effect at all on the control signal.

This is a stupid cut and paste "answer" that you use repeatedly.
Have any of you even flown a drone?
2022-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TracieLouise Posted at 9-27 00:25
It's a P4P+ V2 so has it's own screen.  It has happened now at various different locations, literally hundreds of miles apart since I'm on a travelling journey.  I do get the 'calibrate compass' warning pretty much every single time I fly which is super annoying.  Usually it lets me calibrate straight away and not a huge deal.  But now it is taking ages and ages before the screen changes and even lets me do the calibration.

I have not had my phone (iPhone 8+)  with me when I have tried to fly so there shouldn't be interference from that and I am literally in Aussie outback and never fly near buildings.

The persistent poor signal suggests a problem with the antennas, either in the controller or the drone.

Normally there's no reason that drone should require compass calibration.
Are you launching well away from any steel items?
Perhaps the compass has been magnetised if the drone has been stored near any strong magnets, such as stereo speakers?
2022-9-27
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-27 14:00
The persistent poor signal suggests a problem with the antennas, either in the controller or the drone.

Normally there's no reason that drone should require compass calibration.

The drone was stored near stereo speakers at home but I haven't had any issues before.  Now I'm out on a long haul caravanning trip and literally in the Aussie outback, it is having issues.  There is no concrete.  There are no buildings.  It has happened over multiple locations over several days.

I am starting to believe that maybe the antenna are faulty.  I swapped the drone body out for a brand new one.  So it's not the body.  It has to be the controller.

It flies perfectly fine.  Records video fine.  Does everything just fine.  But the antenna loose signal when the drone is only two feet away from me and I'm directly under it.

Yes, the compass calibration has been a long going issue for years.  From what I can tell on the forums it has been a long time issue for many users for many years.  But it has gotten progressively worse.  I wouldn't  mind if it just let me calibrate first time every time like it used to.  But now it takes several minutes for the controller to even respond to me pressing the calibrate button.  Which wastes valuable battery time of which there is not much to begin with.

I could deal with the compass calibration (even as annoying as it is)... but I can't fly with loosing signal and I'm on a once in the lifetime road trip specifically to take drone footage.  I'm in the desert and with all the rains it's a mass of wild flowers right now.  And I can't get up in the air to see it.  Do you have any idea how heartbreaking this is?  I doubt I will ever be back here again.  It's just beyond not fair that this happens now.
2022-9-27
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-27 13:53
The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it.
Why do DJI moderators give such stupid answers?
Magnetic interference has no effect at all on the control signal.

I have said in this thread and others, that I only ever fly in remote locations.  I have been getting the 'calibrate compass' warning for almost as long as I have had the drone and 99% of the time I am flying out in agriculture or bushland settings, hundreds of miles of house or people.
2022-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TracieLouise Posted at 9-27 14:22
I have said in this thread and others, that I only ever fly in remote locations.  I have been getting the 'calibrate compass' warning for almost as long as I have had the drone and 99% of the time I am flying out in agriculture or bushland settings, hundreds of miles of house or people.

I understood all that from your first post.
I'm Australian and fly in the outback.
Ignore the moderator's comments, unfortunately they have no idea about drone flying and are very little help on anything technical.

If the drone has been stored near a stereo speaker, it could be that the compass sensor has become magnetised.
Search Google for "demagnetise drone compass" to see what can be done about that.

To confirm whether the controller is the source of the antenna problem, if you can find someone with a compatible controller, you could try pairing that with the drone and see if that flies without problem.

2022-9-27
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-27 15:23
I understood all that from your first post.
I'm Australian and fly in the outback.
Ignore the moderator's comments, unfortunately they have no idea about drone flying and are very little help on anything technical.

Thank you.  You are the only person who has spoken a word of sense to me.  I'm actually on the chat function now and they still have no idea except to say 'send it back'.  I'm not in a position to do that and I am on this once in a lifetime trip now.  Sending it back won't help me.

The weird thing about the speakers though is that it has been stored there for years.  The controller anyway.  It's a brand new body I swapped out in Brisbane on Monday.  And never had this issue before.  And didn't have this issue on the first week of the trip when I was flying everyday.  But I will do as you say cause frankly I am beyond desperate.
2022-9-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TracieLouise Posted at 9-27 15:26
Thank you.  You are the only person who has spoken a word of sense to me.  I'm actually on the chat function now and they still have no idea except to say 'send it back'.  I'm not in a position to do that and I am on this once in a lifetime trip now.  Sending it back won't help me.

The weird thing about the speakers though is that it has been stored there for years.  The controller anyway.  It's a brand new body I swapped out in Brisbane on Monday.  And never had this issue before.  And didn't have this issue on the first week of the trip when I was flying everyday.  But I will do as you say cause frankly I am beyond desperate.

The controller has no compass and storing it near a magnet shouldn't cause any compass issue.
The drone's compass is in the landing gear.

If you were in Brisbane on Monday, you're nowhere near me (1400 km SSW of there).
I have a spare controller for the original P4 pro and could have tried that.
2022-9-27
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

Labroides Posted at 9-27 15:38
The controller has no compass and storing it near a magnet shouldn't cause any compass issue.

I’m in Cunnamulla. Headed to Bourke tomorrow.
2022-9-27
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

I just took it out to test again and I tried switching to 5.8 ghz (or whatever it is), and it flew without an issue.  I didn't go very high and I certainly didn't go very far.  But it flew and now error message.

Then I wanted to test again when I got back to the caravan park and tried to fly again and I got the error message once more.  I had left it set to 2.4 ghz this time and got the message pretty much straight away.

So go figure.  I have no idea.
2022-9-27
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

I just took it out to test again and I tried switching to 5.8 ghz (or whatever it is), and it flew without an issue.  I didn't go very high and I certainly didn't go very far.  But it flew and now error message.

Then I wanted to test again when I got back to the caravan park and tried to fly again and I got the error message once more.  I had left it set to 2.4 ghz this time and got the message pretty much straight away.

So go figure.  I have no idea.
2022-9-27
Use props
djiuser_RTRhOcTU6BaK
New
Flight distance : 553901 ft
Guatemala

Hi Tracie: were you able to get this issue resolved? I am also in a location where returning it is not feasible.
2023-4-3
Use props
TracieLouise
lvl.2
Australia

djiuser_RTRhOcTU6BaK Posted at 4-3 07:32
Hi Tracie: were you able to get this issue resolved? I am also in a location where returning it is not feasible.

The problem has never been solved at 2.4 ghz.  I have to manually switch to 5.8 every single flight and if I forget, I loose signal altogether only a few metres in the air.  I have no idea why this happened.  It's not a perfect solution but no one has ever been able to tell me why, so I just fly at 5.8 ghz and it works perfectly.
2023-4-3
Use props
Ralph Jasper J
New

Philippines

I have the same exact problem
1-26 14:16
Use props
Ralph Jasper J
New

Philippines

TracieLouise Posted at 2023-4-3 13:08
The problem has never been solved at 2.4 ghz.  I have to manually switch to 5.8 every single flight and if I forget, I loose signal altogether only a few metres in the air.  I have no idea why this happened.  It's not a perfect solution but no one has ever been able to tell me why, so I just fly at 5.8 ghz and it works perfectly.

I suspect that this is a hardware issue
1-26 14:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules