Remains of old quarry jetty
879 9 2022-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

If you feel this planet isn't for you, you won't need a space ship to get to this spot. After a long and dangerous climb down a cliff edge winding path that is little more than a rabbit run, here you will find peace and tranquility. In fact, you might almost feel you are the only person left on Earth.
Honestly, it is a strange feeling.
During WW2 the German Army blew up this thriving quarry because of the perceived threat some British force might sneak in and use it to invade. The climb back up is a killer, so I think an attack from this quarter was never likely.
When the Germans invaded the island, they expected the British forces to be there ready to repel them. I would love to have seen the German Command's faces when they got to the island.
The British abandoned the island and apart from a few villagers who remained to caretake, there was no fight to be had.
What an anticlimax!
DJI_0006 Cachaliere Pier LowRes.jpg
2022-9-27
Use props
Innerspace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287352 ft
United States

Wow this is Beautiful!  All the colors of the landscape meeting that blue water is amazing.
2022-9-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice capture!
2022-9-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Much easier to send in the drone for this fine capture
2022-9-27
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool shot, interesting story.
2022-9-27
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232844 ft
United States

Very nice image, and certainly an interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
2022-9-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great Shot Alan    
2022-9-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Remarkable shot!   Great background on this location.
2022-9-28
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely photo
2023-8-14
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
United Kingdom

An addendum to my original post, a local artist has produced a large painting of this view and put a post showing it, on Facebook.
Because of this, I spotted it and contacted him. My gripe was that he had copied the whole composition and was offering the painting for saie.
I pointed out to him that in copyright terms this was a derivative work. Whilst flattered he liked the photo enough to paint it, all my photos are free if used for the benefit of the island I live on. Rather than face copyright infringement charges, he freely admitted copying the photo, he agreed to donate the money he gets for the painting to Alderney wildlife . Fine with me.
Out of curiosity I tracked down the painting and was shocked to see it's price tak of £2600...
I put out a general post on the islands Facebook site setting out his offer of donation so he would be in difficulty if he didn't keep his word.
2023-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules